OT and long, 2007 Tundra

Page 3 of 3

I change the oil in this F250 but once every 24,000 miles. I've been changing the filter at 6,000 mile intervals but now that Amsoil specs 12,000 mile filter changes for their new 'ea' oil filters I'm going to 8,000 mile filter intervals. I've also changed to Amsoil's Series 3000 5w30 HD Diesel which may account for some of the increased fuel economy. I put 183,000 mile on a '91 Chevy 1500 using Amsoil synthetic. Complete oil changes at 15,000 miles, filters every 75000. It never produced a wisp of smoke on cold morning starts even at 183k. I also replaced transmission fluid with Amsoil synthetic the two or three times I changed the transmission filter (a PITA in that truck). I had the trans flushed at 30,000 on the PowerStroke and totally replaced with the Amsoil synthetic fluid. Now I just schedule filter changes along with six new replacement quarts at 1000,000 mile intervals. Mobil 1 oil is plenty good synthetic and the Mobil 1 filters (Auto Zone?) are highly rated.
BTW, I can only get one bale of hay in the bed of that F250 but it's a round one.
--
NuWave Dave in Houston

Add pictures here
✖
On Tue, 24 Jul 2007 19:09:12 -0500, "Dave in Houston"

I only get one round bale also. Farmers always expect the truck to squat down but it does not squat much. They don't do large squares in Georgia and my tractor is not big enough to move a large square.
I have run Mobil 1 in my vehicles since about 1984 or 1985. Delvac 1 or Mobil 1 Truck and SUV for diesels oil now that I have a diesel car and a diesel tractor. No oil problems at all. When I have taken off heads to replace valve stem seals or to get seats reground I have negligble wear in the cylinders. If I owned and knew how to use inside bore micrometers I might be able to check wear. I do not know if I should blame the engines for using good cast iron (VW and Toyota) or the oil for good cylinder wear. It also could be living in Atlanta where cold starts are not as cold as those Cleveland Ohio cold starts I grew up around. Of course I don't have any vehicles with high mileage so my results are skewed. The Toyota only has 275,000 miles on it. The 5 year old VW only has 160,000 miles. Previous Rabbits were sold or removed from service with 300,000 miles. Removed by a telephone pole.
That whole previous paragraph is purely anecdotal which proves nothing. I have read oil studies done with taxi fleets that strongly suggest any oil is a good oil. The only problem with the taxi test was the cars did not suffer cold starts that many cars suffer. I have read that most wear occurs at start up before the oil is flowing freely. Synthetic oils seem to flow much better when cold.
Sythetic oils do not make visible smoke the way dino oil does. If I use Still or other brand of synthetic oil in the chainsaw or weed wacker, I can see no burning oil. When I use 2 cycle dino oil I get a good bit of smoke. When the Toyotas get worn or dried up valve stem seals they burn a good bit of oil which the dipstick confirms but you never see it out the tailpipe if you are using synthetic oil. If I run regular oil I can put up a blue haze leaving the line. No, it is not tire smoke but oil. I have run both types of oil in two different Toyotas so that anecdote is a bit more valid.
I have hauled woodworking tools in my Toyotas in case anyone was wondering how off topic a conversation can go.
Add pictures here
✖
Leon wrote:

It's been great for me in the same situation, and in the airplane. I buy new vehicles and drive them until they're dust.
Synthetics tend to stick to things, flow more quickly at startup, yet still resist heat damage and breakdown.
Since I bicycle to work and on local trips, my Tacoma only gets started when I need a truck or the bike isn't suitable. It's 30 months old with ~ 12000 on the clock. I feel I get better protection from synthetics for starts after sitting for days or even a week.
I'm also a big fan of installing synthetic fluids in the diffs and transfer cases as the time comes. I just did a 60k on my '99 Wrangler, replacing every fluid with the proper synthetic.
I drove my last Toyota to the junkyard with 311,000 miles. <G> It burned no oil, and actually drove well, but the body was beat, it didn't have A/C, and the seat (actually, the second one <G>) was shot. It was TIME!
Since I'm not shooting for extended changes, etc... I usually stick with brands like Mobil 1 and leave the Amsoil for the 25,000 mile change guys.
Add pictures here
✖
Thu, Jul 19, 2007, 4:44pm (EDT+4) snipped-for-privacy@swbell.net (Leon) doth sayeth:           I did not see the thread at all until Swingman brought it to my attention. Using Google I saw parts of it but not all of it.           Yeah, I bought one of those too.<snip>
I'm like the guy that said he rather own ten $3,000 vehicles than one for $30,000.
Last year my '79 GMC pickup developed problems. I didn't feel like putting a few hundred dolars into it, so sold it. And shopped around.
Wound up with a 1978 Chevy El Camino. Someone had yanked the 350 and put in a 307 instead - rebuilt, Vortech heads, Crane cam, aluminum intake, Edelbck carb, true dual exhaust. Front end rebuiltl, Sony CD/radio, two speakers, stupid IROC looking wheels. And new: Radiator, water pump, belts, tires, shocks, air conditioning compressor, and so on. But the clock didn't work and the front passenger fender is a bit wrinkled, and it needed a repaint. So I got it for $1400, that's fourteen hundred dollars. Had to drop about $250 for a new master cylinder and tie rod end. Since then the radio quit working a few weeks ago, but the CD still works. Just sunk another $359 for a cracked flexplate and some other work. Except for gas and oil, that's it. It's not the fastest in the world, but it sound absolutely beautiful, has a nice lumpy idle, and kids like it. It's got a trailer hitch for if I want to haul something larger than the bed. I've had it for about a year and a half, and could probably triple my money on it. Bet you guys can't sell your trucks in a year and a half and triple your cost. Hehehe
Oh yeah, it got goood gas mileage when I first got it, then it gradually dropped down to about 3 miles per gallon. Then noticed the speedometer worked but theodomoter had stopped working. LOL
Them new trucks are just plain ugly. If I wanted another big pickup, I'd find one I liked, an old one, for real cheap. Then I'd get a crate engine, and crate transmission, dropped in it, and get the brakes completely redone with new parts. Should be able to get all that done for less than $5,000 over the cost of the truck, depending on who you buy from, and who you get to do the work. I don't know about where you guys live, but you look around a bit here and you can often get an older truck, sometimes with body work done, interior, and paint, usually needing engine and/or transmission work, for $15,00 or less, sometimes even as low as $2-300.
✖
That's all find an dandy if you like spending the time doing that. I dealt with other peoples problem vehicles for 20+ years. I've been there and done that. ;~)
[...]
Tue, Jul 24, 2007, 6:02pm (EDT+4) snipped-for-privacy@swbell.net (Leon) doth sayeth: That's all find an dandy if you like spending the time doing that. I dealt with other peoples problem vehicles for 20+ years.   I've been there and done that. ;~)
I wasn't talking about doing it myself. Not for a daily driver. That was including paying someone else to do the intalling. Wouldn't take any more time really then waiting on an on-order vehicle from a dealer. Insurance would be a lot less too.
✖
(Leon) doth sayeth: That's all find an dandy if you like spending the time doing that. I dealt with other peoples problem vehicles for 20+ years. I've been there and done that. ;~)
I wasn't talking about doing it myself. Not for a daily driver. That was including paying someone else to do the intalling. Wouldn't take any more time really then waiting on an on-order vehicle from a dealer. Insurance would be a lot less too.
I see. I still prefer to get a new one every once in a while. Having worked for so many years at new car dealerships the New Car smell disappeared. Having been away from the business for 12 or so years the smell is starting to come back. ;~)
I was fairly please with the insurance cost. Full coverage comes out to $58 per month. I expected more with the bigger engine.
Add pictures here
✖
Tue, Jul 24, 2007, 5:32pm (EDT-1) snipped-for-privacy@swbell.net (Leon) doth sayeth: I see. I still prefer to get a new one every once in a while. Having worked for so many years at new car dealerships the New Car smell disappeared. Having been away from the business for 12 or so years the smell is starting to come back. ;~) <snip
Yeah, but are you gonna have a little kid point at your truck, saying, "Wow!"? I had one do that yesterday. Hehehe
✖
J T wrote:

I have a 1990 Dodge Dakota and little kids do that all the time. The complete quotes is "Wow ... he got it started again."
Bill ;-)
--
I'm not not at the above address.
http://nmwoodworks.com
J T wrote:

Just about my senior year in HS I bought a Datsun. It was baby (stuff) yellow and the front fender flapped, having rusted through at the firewall end.
It looked pretty forlorn.
But it had one Weber side-draft carburetor per cylinder and a former owner who didn't know that those carbs needed oil.
I surprised my fair share of Triumph and MG drivers when I'd pull ahead with a gear left. ;-)
Ahhhhhh ... faded glory. But it still brings a smile.
Bill
--
I'm not not at the above address.
http://nmwoodworks.com
✖
First Tank of gas averaged 15.25 mpg in town. Second tank 15.28 mpg in town.
Add pictures here
✖

I didn't think that was great until I remembered that your gallon is smaller than ours. Converted to Imperial gallons, that is pretty good mileage for a beast that size with gobs of horsepower. My nephew is a service advisor for a Toyota dealership in KC.KS and he's put a 'factory legal' supercharger on his Tundra. "It's kinda fast now, uncle Rob." :)
r---->who wishes Toyota made a cargo van.... a long one.
Add pictures here
✖

OK, 321 miles on 17.5 of "your" gallons. ;~) Ours is .83% of yours.
Add pictures here
✖