OT and long, 2007 Tundra

The synthetics do not oxidize as readily and thus do not form acids as readily. They will better than mineral oils.

Bill

Reply to
BillinDetroit

Thanks Bill, those were my suspicions. I believe I'll go that route. And for that same reason I think I will also stay from the synthetic blends.

Reply to
Leon

I wasn't talking about doing it myself. Not for a daily driver. That was including paying someone else to do the intalling. Wouldn't take any more time really then waiting on an on-order vehicle from a dealer. Insurance would be a lot less too.

I see. I still prefer to get a new one every once in a while. Having worked for so many years at new car dealerships the New Car smell disappeared. Having been away from the business for 12 or so years the smell is starting to come back. ;~)

I was fairly please with the insurance cost. Full coverage comes out to $58 per month. I expected more with the bigger engine.

Reply to
Leon

LOL, Park next to an 07 Tundra. I recall in recent years when the Nissan Titan looked big. Not any more.

Reply to
Leon

Tue, Jul 24, 2007, 5:32pm (EDT-1) snipped-for-privacy@swbell.net (Leon) doth sayeth: I see. I still prefer to get a new one every once in a while. Having worked for so many years at new car dealerships the New Car smell disappeared. Having been away from the business for 12 or so years the smell is starting to come back. ;~)

Reply to
J T

I change the oil in this F250 but once every 24,000 miles. I've been changing the filter at 6,000 mile intervals but now that Amsoil specs 12,000 mile filter changes for their new 'ea' oil filters I'm going to 8,000 mile filter intervals. I've also changed to Amsoil's Series 3000 5w30 HD Diesel which may account for some of the increased fuel economy. I put 183,000 mile on a '91 Chevy 1500 using Amsoil synthetic. Complete oil changes at 15,000 miles, filters every 75000. It never produced a wisp of smoke on cold morning starts even at 183k. I also replaced transmission fluid with Amsoil synthetic the two or three times I changed the transmission filter (a PITA in that truck). I had the trans flushed at

30,000 on the PowerStroke and totally replaced with the Amsoil synthetic fluid. Now I just schedule filter changes along with six new replacement quarts at 1000,000 mile intervals. Mobil 1 oil is plenty good synthetic and the Mobil 1 filters (Auto Zone?) are highly rated.

BTW, I can only get one bale of hay in the bed of that F250 but it's a round one.

Reply to
Dave in Houston

I only get one round bale also. Farmers always expect the truck to squat down but it does not squat much. They don't do large squares in Georgia and my tractor is not big enough to move a large square.

I have run Mobil 1 in my vehicles since about 1984 or 1985. Delvac 1 or Mobil 1 Truck and SUV for diesels oil now that I have a diesel car and a diesel tractor. No oil problems at all. When I have taken off heads to replace valve stem seals or to get seats reground I have negligble wear in the cylinders. If I owned and knew how to use inside bore micrometers I might be able to check wear. I do not know if I should blame the engines for using good cast iron (VW and Toyota) or the oil for good cylinder wear. It also could be living in Atlanta where cold starts are not as cold as those Cleveland Ohio cold starts I grew up around. Of course I don't have any vehicles with high mileage so my results are skewed. The Toyota only has 275,000 miles on it. The 5 year old VW only has 160,000 miles. Previous Rabbits were sold or removed from service with 300,000 miles. Removed by a telephone pole.

That whole previous paragraph is purely anecdotal which proves nothing. I have read oil studies done with taxi fleets that strongly suggest any oil is a good oil. The only problem with the taxi test was the cars did not suffer cold starts that many cars suffer. I have read that most wear occurs at start up before the oil is flowing freely. Synthetic oils seem to flow much better when cold.

Sythetic oils do not make visible smoke the way dino oil does. If I use Still or other brand of synthetic oil in the chainsaw or weed wacker, I can see no burning oil. When I use 2 cycle dino oil I get a good bit of smoke. When the Toyotas get worn or dried up valve stem seals they burn a good bit of oil which the dipstick confirms but you never see it out the tailpipe if you are using synthetic oil. If I run regular oil I can put up a blue haze leaving the line. No, it is not tire smoke but oil. I have run both types of oil in two different Toyotas so that anecdote is a bit more valid.

I have hauled woodworking tools in my Toyotas in case anyone was wondering how off topic a conversation can go.

Reply to
Jim Behning

I have a 1990 Dodge Dakota and little kids do that all the time. The complete quotes is "Wow ... he got it started again."

Bill ;-)

Reply to
BillinDetroit

It's been great for me in the same situation, and in the airplane. I buy new vehicles and drive them until they're dust.

Synthetics tend to stick to things, flow more quickly at startup, yet still resist heat damage and breakdown.

Since I bicycle to work and on local trips, my Tacoma only gets started when I need a truck or the bike isn't suitable. It's 30 months old with ~ 12000 on the clock. I feel I get better protection from synthetics for starts after sitting for days or even a week.

I'm also a big fan of installing synthetic fluids in the diffs and transfer cases as the time comes. I just did a 60k on my '99 Wrangler, replacing every fluid with the proper synthetic.

I drove my last Toyota to the junkyard with 311,000 miles. It burned no oil, and actually drove well, but the body was beat, it didn't have A/C, and the seat (actually, the second one ) was shot. It was TIME!

Since I'm not shooting for extended changes, etc... I usually stick with brands like Mobil 1 and leave the Amsoil for the 25,000 mile change guys.

Reply to
B A R R Y

Wed, Jul 25, 2007, 2:09am snipped-for-privacy@nmwoodworks.com (BillinDetroit) doth sayeth: I have a 1990 Dodge Dakota and little kids do that all the time. The complete quotes is "Wow ... he got it started again." I don't have any problems starting the Camino, and it sounds gooood. But that does remind me of the last VW Beetle I ran.

It started well,ran well, but sounded really wicked. Idled fast, had a wicked cam. Started it in a parking lot one day, and heard, "That's your favorite car". Looked around and there was a little kid, probably about 3-4, hiding behind his mother and peeking around her. I guess he'd never heard his "favorite car" sound like that one. LOL I'd love another Bug, kids and gurls love 'em.

Hah. That reminded me. I'd pulled up at a traffic light, behind the first car. A guy in another Beetle pulled up to my right, also behind a car. My Bug was idling at about 1,000 RPM and sounding evil. He kept looking over, and started reving his car up. I just sat there. The light turned green and he popped his clutch, wanting to get the jump on me. He did, he'd obvously forgot he had a car in front of him and almost ran over it. I thought it was hilarious, he turned right as soon as he could. LMAO

That Bug had a very strong engine, and I put on a progressive Webber carb, off a Pinto. I had to set it for a 1,000 RPM idle, or the linkage wouldn't allow the secondary to kick in. On a fun day that would mean I'd only get about 15 MPG, not the usuall 28 MPG or so; but damn, when that secondary kicked in, the sound and boost were awesome. Went from waah to WAAAAAAAAAH!!!, almost instantly. Surprised a lot of import cars with it. Damn that thing was fun. Nowadays, I can't trust my knee to drive a clutch much anymore.

J T

Just about my senior year in HS I bought a Datsun. It was baby (stuff) yellow and the front fender flapped, having rusted through at the firewall end.

It looked pretty forlorn.

But it had one Weber side-draft carburetor per cylinder and a former owner who didn't know that those carbs needed oil.

I surprised my fair share of Triumph and MG drivers when I'd pull ahead with a gear left. ;-)

Ahhhhhh ... faded glory. But it still brings a smile.

Bill

Reply to
BillinDetroit

First Tank of gas averaged 15.25 mpg in town. Second tank 15.28 mpg in town.

Reply to
Leon

I didn't think that was great until I remembered that your gallon is smaller than ours. Converted to Imperial gallons, that is pretty good mileage for a beast that size with gobs of horsepower. My nephew is a service advisor for a Toyota dealership in KC.KS and he's put a 'factory legal' supercharger on his Tundra. "It's kinda fast now, uncle Rob." :)

r---->who wishes Toyota made a cargo van.... a long one.

Reply to
Robatoy

OK, 321 miles on 17.5 of "your" gallons. ;~) Ours is .83% of yours.

Reply to
Leon