OT and long, 2007 Tundra

And it gets 24mpg, is reasonably peppy and cost less than $10k new off the lot.

scott (another 2000 ranger owner).

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

I like my current 6.5 bed, but that extra ten to twelve bales of hay per load, times ten loads, could mean getting out of the field early on a hot summer day.

Reply to
Swingman

I can get 32 square bales of Bermuda on my Toyota one ton with a 7 foot bed. I could get another 8 bales if I stack one more course. I have to take turns pretty slow if i go for 40. 32 is not so bad as it is only 1500 pounds of hay or so. How many bales to others get on their trucks?

Reply to
Jim Behning

Where do you live that you are able to find/have a Toyota one ton?

Reply to
Leon

My Toyota pickups have never had more than a 6'3" box, and I've never had problems carrying 8' goods. Most small trucks and aftermarket liners) have notches for 2x6's in the bed so sheets will sit on the wheel wells.

When I think of my '85 Toyota vs. my '05, I can't believe they still call them "small" trucks.

Reply to
B A R R Y

One!

That's all I need when the wife's classroom guinea pig needs a refill.

Reply to
B A R R Y

Toyota sold a 7 1/2 foot bed, one ton pickup 'till ~ 1991 in the US.

The original "extra cab" was built on the long bed chassis using a standard bed. Nowadays, I think the current Access Cab Tacoma, with a 7

1/2' bed, and 3 liter turbo diesel, on the Double Cab long bed chassis would be cool. They sell it outside the US as the "Hilux"

Toyota loves to confuse people with the current Tacoma. The double cab "long" bed is actually the 6.3' bed used on every other Tacoma. The "short" bed double cab is an ultra short 5 footer, built on the Acces cab frame.

Reply to
B A R R Y

First concept is this. Toyota called a truck that carried a ton a one ton. US makers call a vehicle that can carry a ton a 1/2 ton. The US manufacturer's current one ton can carry over 2.5 tons.

US. 1987 model that has a 5500 pound gvw and weighed less than 3,000 pounds empty. It came with 8 ply rated tires. Mine came with a 4 cylinder engine. The one ton had bigger brakes, bigger rear end, and heavier springs. I ordered the towing package so it had larger radiator and a different rear end ratio. The truck is rather bumpy empty but pretty ok with 500 pounds or more in the back. It was rated to tow 5,000 pounds. It did not set any acceleration records when towing a horse and trailer but it did keep up with the 18 wheelers crossing the pass in Tennessee. I guess they imported the truck for a few more years and some had the V6.

Reply to
Jim Behning

I see. Thanks. Also, I do see that a certain version and option of the 07 Tundra with the big V8 can be had with the payload capacity of just over 2000#'s.

Reply to
Leon

I gotcha now. IIRC some of those older truck did look pretty stiff and HD. I guess the confusion for me was that the trucks were still relatively small on "cargo space" rather than cargo weight capacity. IIRC I remember seeing a dually back then. I think that the T100 which evolved into the Tundra simply had the benefit of room more so than weight capacity.

Reply to
Leon

Well, I filled the tank on the new Tundra Friday night, 296 miles on the odometer and a 26.4 gallon tank. The needle was very close to "E" however the warning light had not yet come on. I will say that the gas gauge needle on the 07 Tundra moves fast and immediately off of the "F" mark. I was thinking 10-12 mpg for in town driving. I was hoping for more. The 97 Silverado, 5.0 was and getting an average of 13 mpg in town.

The pump clicked off at 19.2 gallons. I thought it shut off prematurely and I squeezed the lever once more, it shut off again at 19.4 gallons. I new that this was looking pretty good. Apparently with the needle "almost" on "E" I still have 7 gallons of gas.

So, 19.4 gallons to go 296 miles in town on the first tank of gas. That's

15.25 mpg... ;~)
Reply to
Leon

With 381 HP, and far from broken in, that is fantastic!

Reply to
B A R R Y

Our '06 Landcrusier (4.7 V8) is about in that range with full-time AWD.

Reply to
Dave in Houston

Be careful you don't break that egg between your foot and the gas pedal. :~)

Frank

Reply to
Frank Boettcher

LOL.... Yeah, with age, I have become a bit more light footed. What's the darn hurry. Having been in the automotive industry most of my professional career I am well aware of the first tank results.

  1. It's new, you driver easier and naturally get better gas mileage.
  2. It's new, the engine is tighter and as it breaks in it will naturally get better gas mileage.
  3. It's new, the on board computer control's a lot of how the vehicles performs during the first few thousand break-in miles, mileage will probably get better.
  4. It's not so new any more, the engine has loosened up and the computer has adjusted to the higher mileage and gas mileage improves.
  5. It's not so new any more, No more babying, put the pedal to the metal, gas mileage ain't what it usta be.

Fortunately I have been in the "baby the petal" mode on the older truck since gas prices started going towards "what the market would bare".

Then again, that first tank did have a few demonstrations of "a bit more" than moderate accelerations. ;~)

Reply to
Leon

Thu, Jul 19, 2007, 4:44pm (EDT+4) snipped-for-privacy@swbell.net (Leon) doth sayeth: =A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0I did not see the thread at all until Swingman brought it to my attention. Using Google I saw parts of it but not all of it. =A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0Yeah, I bought one of those too.

I'm like the guy that said he rather own ten $3,000 vehicles than one for $30,000.

Last year my '79 GMC pickup developed problems. I didn't feel like putting a few hundred dolars into it, so sold it. And shopped around.

Wound up with a 1978 Chevy El Camino. Someone had yanked the 350 and put in a 307 instead - rebuilt, Vortech heads, Crane cam, aluminum intake, Edelbck carb, true dual exhaust. Front end rebuiltl, Sony CD/radio, two speakers, stupid IROC looking wheels. And new: Radiator, water pump, belts, tires, shocks, air conditioning compressor, and so on. But the clock didn't work and the front passenger fender is a bit wrinkled, and it needed a repaint. So I got it for $1400, that's fourteen hundred dollars. Had to drop about $250 for a new master cylinder and tie rod end. Since then the radio quit working a few weeks ago, but the CD still works. Just sunk another $359 for a cracked flexplate and some other work. Except for gas and oil, that's it. It's not the fastest in the world, but it sound absolutely beautiful, has a nice lumpy idle, and kids like it. It's got a trailer hitch for if I want to haul something larger than the bed. I've had it for about a year and a half, and could probably triple my money on it. Bet you guys can't sell your trucks in a year and a half and triple your cost. Hehehe

Oh yeah, it got goood gas mileage when I first got it, then it gradually dropped down to about 3 miles per gallon. Then noticed the speedometer worked but theodomoter had stopped working. LOL

Them new trucks are just plain ugly. If I wanted another big pickup, I'd find one I liked, an old one, for real cheap. Then I'd get a crate engine, and crate transmission, dropped in it, and get the brakes completely redone with new parts. Should be able to get all that done for less than $5,000 over the cost of the truck, depending on who you buy from, and who you get to do the work. I don't know about where you guys live, but you look around a bit here and you can often get an older truck, sometimes with body work done, interior, and paint, usually needing engine and/or transmission work, for $15,00 or less, sometimes even as low as $2-300.

J T

That's all find an dandy if you like spending the time doing that. I dealt with other peoples problem vehicles for 20+ years. I've been there and done that. ;~)

[...]

Nyuck, nyuck.

One might can squeeze an additional mpg out of that new truck by going with synthetic lubricants though I do recommend a thorough break-in with conventional mineral oil. I did two each 4,000 mile stints when my '01 PowerStroke was new; 4,000 with the factory oil and 4,000 with Castrol (or somesuch). At 8,000 I moved it to Amsoil 15w40 HD Diesel/Marine. I put about 30k a year on it, the biggest majority being highway miles between Houston and the San Antonio area. Most always getting 16.5 - 16.75 mpg. Me thinks the switch was too soon. Suddenly, around 160k my fuel mileage jumped a whole mpg. Me thinks I may actually have retarded break-in and that the engine has just now loosened up. I'm pushing 164k now. Whatever, I'm not complaining. And, I have an eight foot bed behind a four-door crew cab. Gawd it's a long truck.

Reply to
Dave in Houston

Tue, Jul 24, 2007, 6:02pm (EDT+4) snipped-for-privacy@swbell.net (Leon) doth sayeth: That's all find an dandy if you like spending the time doing that. I dealt with other peoples problem vehicles for 20+ years. =A0 I've been there and done that. ;~)

I wasn't talking about doing it myself. Not for a daily driver. That was including paying someone else to do the intalling. Wouldn't take any more time really then waiting on an on-order vehicle from a dealer. Insurance would be a lot less too.

J T

I am considering using a snthetic for the first time in this truck. The new vehicle engines use such light viscosity oils these days I want maximum protection against oil break down. I really do not drive this vehicle too much and oil changes are usually 1 to 2 times a year at 3,000 mile intervals. I wonder how a synthetic would do compaired to regular oil in holding up for 6 months at a time with few miles.

Reply to
Leon