OT - ALL THE THINGS I LIKE ABOUT THE BORG

1. Ace Hardware doesn't sell wood, but Lowes does. 2. Lowes is a lot better than Home Depot.
I really thought I could come up with at least two more. But, after thinking it over, basically that pretty well covers it for me.
JOAT Always put off until tomorrow something which, tomorrow, you could put off until, let's say, next year. - Lady Myria LeJean.
Life just ain't life without good music. - JOAT Web Page Update 23 Jul 2003. Some tunes I like. http://community-2.webtv.net/Jakofalltrades/JOATorJackOfAll/page4.html
Ya forgot the carts that have the wheel in the permanent "locked" position. Standard among most "chain" anything kind of stores.

Jack-of-all-trades - JOAT wrote:

I may real color myself a newbie by saying so, but I like Lowe's. The employees can't be relied upon in general to provide any good educational information, but it's reasonable well laid out, I like their products in general, and I enjoy my trips to the store. My major complaint is that our Lowes has the world's slowest checkout line.

I really complain about my local Lowe's but got very pleasantly surprised today. I walked in and met a former coworker who now works there. He was headed home and "away from this Hell hole". Made a little fun of him for working there and related a incident I witnessed where a customer at the only open line (about 20 people in line) stepped up looking for a refund and was told she needed to go to the customer service counter and she replied she had been there for a half hour and couldn't get waited on. They went back and forth, each saying the same thing, and about the time a manager type started over a customer behind me hollered, "Hey, lady, you'd think you never shopped at Lowe's before". He found that funny. And very believable.
I then went to lamps looking for some small parts. I know better to look for the gnomes (pronounce the g) as they are a waste of time. To my surprise one walked up and asked to help and actually got me to the place I needed. I headed to another area and the same thing happened. I then headed for the check out and there were several open and one with no customers. And the check out girl even knew how to work the cash register.
Hard to believe but then I've been sick. I may have taken too much medication and this was all in my mind.

funny that the customer service desk is always empty. I just walk past the long lines, check out there and leave. :-) YMMV

I would have added the girls at the registers. Different HD's have different, shall we say, "hiring standards", but the one near me only hires the cream of the crop. ; )
steve
Crawled out of the shop and said. . .:

Shame on you! roflmao
yur supposed to be buyin and eyein lumber, not them purdy gurlies at the checkout desk. on a lighter note, its time for me to go see me sweetie at the HD today, errr ummm i mean get some castors for a project.
Traves *G*
ya, if you can't get through the line with your wood, at least you can get a woody while you wait....hehehee.

Once in a while you get to help out another customer with her questions that the clerk can't assist.
Special note: be sure she is young, pretty, no wedding ring . . . you know who she is - the one in the shiny pink jogging boxers with the stretched top and no kids! :-)
Jums

: 1. Ace Hardware doesn't sell wood, but Lowes does.
On the contrary. My Ace sells everything but cherry. Prices are decent also.
http://yp108.superpages.com/listings.phtml?SRC &C=&Ne+hardware&RE=&RT=p aramount&RS&RZ=&STYPE=D&PG=L&R=D&RRP&SCID000000000&PP=NA&NA 381702 72&MC=&GL 10109560&C=&N=&FNe+hardware
or
http://tinyurl.com/ibsq
: 2. Lowes is a lot better than Home Depot. : : I really thought I could come up with at least two more. But, : after thinking it over, basically that pretty well covers it for me. : : JOAT
On Mon, 28 Jul 2003 16:01:14 -0400, Jack-of-all-trades - JOAT wrote:

Ah, c'mon, here's my Top 10 Things I Like About the Borg:
10. There are usually many parking spaces available among the detritus of abandoned carts/contrivances/conveyances.
9. Playing "where did they move it this week?"
8. At least in my area, more day laborers than you can fend off with a stick hang out, waiting to move cubic yards of whatnot from one end of your yard to another.
7. Order supplies and get "professional" installation from companies who apparently can't drum up enough business on their own. (And not that I'm bitter, but who certainly won't get any more business from me!)
6. Prebent Jummywood in 39 different shapes: collect them all!
5. Your choice of three kinds of carts/contrivances/conveyances, all of which can be used by clueless denizens of the San Jose area to clog up each and every aisle in each and every area store. But the place is a pleasure from 6-8 a.m.
4. Make the somnabulistic lumber area help come to life by switching on the panel saw.
3. Unlike Expo stores, don't have to wear Armani to get some help while shopping. Instead, carry an air horn.
2. Those aisles not clogged with the clueless and careless are cleared for rush hour stocking activities. There's no skill required to deny access to an aisle I'm after once in a while, but *every* time?
1. IME, the returns counter is the friendliest place in the store.

Ours are about 100 yards apart so you can bounce back between them without much pain. I do think having them close encourages them to compete for your business. The HD was abysmal before the Lowes went in. Now, it's well stocked with better employees.
snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (Jack-of-all-trades - JOAT) wrote:

1. Free Coffee
Wes