OT: all the POL posts

Thank God it's almost over! I've stayed out of it all . . . #1 Because all the name calling, nit-picking and acrimony aren't going to change ANYONE'S mind! Anybody can take whatever news is out there and twist it to suit themselves. I've received so much anti-Kerry and anti-Bush BS in my email that I automatically go to Snopes & check it out, then pass URLs and results back to where it came from.
#2 Because when all the shootin' and shoutin' is over, it's what every individual does inside the privacy of the voting booth.
#3 Because no matter who wins the Presidential election, we're still stuck with a bunch of pork barrel a**hole lawyers(most of them) in the Senate and the House. The President can push, shove, cajole, threaten, or whatever, but in most cases his hands are tied unless CONGRESS gives it's approval.
#4 The "inside the beltway" mentality is a cesspool I wouldn't want to have to live with. Until there is a way found to get their collective A**es off dead center and do what's right for the country as a whole, nothing is going to change!
I'm done, gonna go vote the way I think tomorrow, just like everyone else, and we'll see where the chips fall.
--
Nahmie

I miss the voting booth. Really. I'm a traditionalist and enjoyed the process and ceremony. Oregon went to mail-in balloting back in '98 or such for all elections and did away with polling places, voting booths, punch cards, slide levers, and the old men and ladies at the voter roles tables with their plates of homemade cookies and treats.
I remember tagging along with my Dad to vote in the Nixon/Humphrey race in '68 in Virginia when I was 7. He impressed upon me the importance of our citizen duty to vote. Thus, I make an effort to cast a ballot in every single local, state and national vote, but now that I've a kid of my own, I'm thinking she'll never get that feeling of process and ceremony. It's just not the same, sitting at the dining room table, marking the paper and stuffing the envelope. This year she and I did make the 40 mile round trip to deliver the ballots (wife's and mine) to the county elections office but it just wasn't the same.
____

"To know the world intimately is the beginning of caring."

. Here in western NY we still use the voting machines. The school where I volunteer is a polling place, and *our* polling place is a church just up the street. The old women @ the roll tables are neighbors, and the "bake sale" is by the entry door, hosted by the local Girl Scouts.
--
Nahmie
On Tue, 2 Nov 2004 06:32:31 -0500, "Norman D. Crow"

The Poor Voter On Election Day
by John Greenleaf Whittier
To-day, of all the weary year, A king of men am I. To-day, alike are great and small, The nameless and the known; My palace is the people's hall, The ballot-box my throne! The rich is level with the poor, The weak is strong to-day; And sleekest broadcloth counts no more Than homespun frock of gray. To-day let pomp and vain pretence My stubborn right abide; I set a plain man's common sense Against the pedant's pride. The wide world has not wealth to buy The power in my right hand!
Regards, Tom.
On Tue, 2 Nov 2004 06:32:31 -0500, "Norman D. Crow"
Probably surplus from AVM, huh, Norm?
- - LRod
Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite
Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999
http://www.woodbutcher.net
On Tue, 2 Nov 2004 06:32:31 -0500, "Norman D. Crow"

... and they're *old* voting machines. But they work.
snipped-for-privacy@easystreet.com says...

Ouch! That's the first good reason I've heard for not living in Oregon. I hope we don't pick up our neighbor's bad habits here in WA :-).
Going to vote on election day is a ceremony. It reminds us of our privelege and our responsibility.
We didn't get cookies this morning, but we did get candy :-).
--
There ARE no Iraqi WMDs!

Sorry to add more chatter, but WTF ...
I do miss the 'ceremony', but we've pretty much come up with our own ;-) (I'm in Or, also ...)
I *really* like not having to wait behind yahoos that haven't even cracked open the voters pamphlet (and thus have no idea what they are voting for); and even more to the point, I feel that vote-by-mail has given me back my vote -- I now no longer have put up with TV/Radio telling me who's "won" before half the state's even had a chance to vote. (not that it ever stopped *me*, but there was a devastating effect on turnout here in '80? -- when Reagan was declared the winnah at 5pm Pacific time).
Much as I miss the old ladies (and I don't remember cookies, but wouldn't surprise me ...), I'd never go back.
Regards,
JT
OBWW: now looking for a combination sander (belt/disk); seems like most of the choices are more $$ than I want to spend .. but still looking. Went to HF last weekend, they only had one of the three models on display, but at least they had clamps for real cheap! Picked up a digital caliper for SWMBO, too.
On Tue, 2 Nov 2004 18:34:21 +0000 (UTC), John Thomas

Wisconsin still has voting booths, and it's extra fun because we have same-day registration. I was already registered, so I was in and out in less than five minutes- but my wife had to sit in line for almost an hour... maybe next time she'll listen when I tell her to drop by the city clerk's a couple weeks beforehand!

No free cookies here, but my polling place was in the local senior's center- so they were having a bakesale to raise money.

Bummer, all we get is an "I voted" sticker. Which kind of struck me as funny later --- the same thing we use to reward kids for good behavior being used on adults.
Nahmie,
as an out-of-towner, so to speak, I sure hope this is the end of this OT POL junk. Maybe it can be taken to a political group after tomorrow.
I don't mind the occasional OT, but this has got way past the point of occasional.
--

Greg

"Norman D. Crow" < snipped-for-privacy@madbbs.com> wrote in message

POL
I filtered the words Bush and Kerry and it's eliminated better then 99% of the political mail.
Upscale responds:

I probably should have done that. It might have helped my blood pressure.
Here's a break from the political OT: it's still OT, but more fun.
http://www.frontiernet.net/~cdm/age1.html
Charlie Self "Abstainer: a weak person who yields to the temptation of denying himself a pleasure." Ambrose Bierce
Greg Millen responds:

With luck, it's over now. I just got a great Bush/Kerry joke from Tom Watson and I'm not even going to post it.
Voting is over 7 p.m. this evening, so the posts should peel off until there are almost none, regardless of who wins.
We all hope.
Charlie Self "Abstainer: a weak person who yields to the temptation of denying himself a pleasure." Ambrose Bierce
snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnotforme (Charlie Self) wrote in

Well, if it's a good one, it will keep until Wednesday.
Patriarch
On Tue, 2 Nov 2004 20:26:43 +1100, "Greg Millen"

Tomorrow they'll talk about lawsuits RE: a "fixed" election. But hopefully, there won't be rioting or bloody anarchy...yet. <sigh>
--
"Given the low level of competence among politicians,
every American should become a Libertarian."