"Leon" wrote:

------------------------------- Poor baby, must be a slow day.
Lew
On 6/9/2011 4:41 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote:

No need to poor baby me, I was just wondering how you guys get anything done with all the "mother may I" laws.
"Leon" wrote:

---------------------------- Just keep putting one foot in front of the other.
It's amazing how California keeps being the 6th-8th economy in the world while within the rules for everybody's benefit.
Lew
On 6/9/2011 8:02 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote:

With S&P's lowest credit rating of the 50 states ...
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010
On 6/9/2011 8:02 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote:

Lets see her I think the US is still #1, Texas is #2, what third world country is Califoria behind. ;~) Dukinn runn'm
"Leon" wrote:

----------------------------- Looks like Dallas is getting onboard.
"In-N-Out" finally came to town.
BTW, Houston didn't make the cut<G>.
Lew
On 6/9/2011 9:32 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote:

Too many transplanted Californian's ...
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010

Good idea but, as most politicians are to slimy to get anything to stick, a tattoo would be the only way. No electric tattoo guns. Pointy stick (wood working content) and bottle of ink.
snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.nett says...

Ever see "The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo"? There's a nice scene of a bureaucrat experiencing truth in labelling.
On 6/9/2011 5:39 PM, CW wrote:

I was picturing a sign hanging aroudn their necks.
"Leon" wrote in message

You would have benefited from reading up on these labels before speculating about them. It was the *voters* of Calif. who approved Prop. 65 which seeks to keep toxic chemicals out of the state's water supply and prevent exposure to such chemicals by consumers without fair warning (thus the warning labels).
Prop. 65 has actually been quite successful in causing mfg. to reformulate products to get rid of the dangerous chemicals or to otherwise keep consumers from coming into contract with them. On the other hand the warning labels are so common that they have tended to fade into the background and be ignored, and as always some scumbag lawyers have found ways to milk the situation by filing lawsuits supposedly on behalf of clients but really to soak up legal fees for the lawyers.
However you are free to ignore any and all warning labels if you please, so if you want to use toluene for mouthwash and take all the safety guards off your power tools that is your right--good luck.

[[.. mega-sneck ..]]
It's far _worse_ than that.
California has "citizen's initiatives", whereby *anything* can get put on the ballot, and approved by the voters, is enacted into law.
*REGARDLESS* of the sanity, or lack thereof, of the proposal.
_That_ is, in fact, where all the Calif. warning notices come from.
One such citizens initiative required the cancer warning notice on any object sold in California that had _any_ amount (_one_ atom's worth, in a hundred ton object is sufficient to require the warning) of any material that is a 'known' carcinogen.
Hence, you find the warning on step-ladders, hammers, etc.
It is virtually to find _any_ manufactured object for sale in California without that warning label. As such, the warnings are useless, and actually have a -negative- value, since things with a 'significant' risk factor are indistinguishable from the vast swamp of things with an absolutely insignificant/immaterial, (but not absolutely zero) risk.
The 'appropriate' response to this kind of enforced silliness is for manufacturers to to provide 'yet another' warning label. Same type face, font size, same coloration, same overall-size, etc., that states:
Mortality rate for those who never use this product:
100%
Since this _is_ factually true, the government _cannot_ suppress the printing of that information. <*EVIL* grin>
On 6/13/2011 12:16 AM, Robert Bonomi wrote:

Well that sounds like the real reason, we see them here in Texas too and I greatly suspect the labels are literally seen every where in the U.S.
@swbelldotnet says...

The wording of the statute is such that there are severe penalties if there is no warning and no downside other than the price of the ink or label for affixing a warning, so the warning gets put on everything on general principle, regardless of whether there is any reason to believe that any of the forbidden substances is present. Better to spend a couple of bucks a year printing irrelevant warnings on the label than hundreds of thousands on a legal defense.
On 6/13/2011 8:09 AM, J. Clarke wrote:

Better to spend a

I would agree with that, go along to get along.

They're seen all over the world. Look at your warning labels. They're all written in English, French, AND Spanish, if not German, Swahili, Japanese, and Chinese.
When I left, California was printing voter's pamphlets and ballots in 26 different languages. I think they pared that down to a dozen now.
-- The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools. --Herbert Spencer

Notably absent was Profane.
On Mon, 13 Jun 2011 08:24:05 -0700 (PDT), Robatoy

Not at the end-user level. Not by a @#$%^&* long shot, bubba.
-- You are today where your thoughts have brought you; you will be tomorrow where your thoughts take you. -- James Lane Allen
On Jun 13, 11:32am, Larry Jaques

Well played! I expected a fold-back to a Canuckistani reference.