OT: Al little

[[.. mega-sneck ..]]

It's far _worse_ than that.

California has "citizen's initiatives", whereby *anything* can get put on the ballot, and approved by the voters, is enacted into law.

*REGARDLESS* of the sanity, or lack thereof, of the proposal.

_That_ is, in fact, where all the Calif. warning notices come from.

One such citizens initiative required the cancer warning notice on any object sold in California that had _any_ amount (_one_ atom's worth, in a hundred ton object is sufficient to require the warning) of any material that is a 'known' carcinogen.

Hence, you find the warning on step-ladders, hammers, etc.

It is virtually to find _any_ manufactured object for sale in California without that warning label. As such, the warnings are useless, and actually have a -negative- value, since things with a 'significant' risk factor are indistinguishable from the vast swamp of things with an absolutely insignificant/immaterial, (but not absolutely zero) risk.

The 'appropriate' response to this kind of enforced silliness is for manufacturers to to provide 'yet another' warning label. Same type face, font size, same coloration, same overall-size, etc., that states:

Mortality rate for those who never use this product:

100%

Since this _is_ factually true, the government _cannot_ suppress the printing of that information.

Reply to
Robert Bonomi

You mean you are the only other real person out there?

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

Well that sounds like the real reason, we see them here in Texas too and I greatly suspect the labels are literally seen every where in the U.S.

Reply to
Leon

ABS Solutely~

Reply to
Leon

The wording of the statute is such that there are severe penalties if there is no warning and no downside other than the price of the ink or label for affixing a warning, so the warning gets put on everything on general principle, regardless of whether there is any reason to believe that any of the forbidden substances is present. Better to spend a couple of bucks a year printing irrelevant warnings on the label than hundreds of thousands on a legal defense.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Better to spend a

I would agree with that, go along to get along.

Reply to
Leon

I build mortise and tenon joints, George. Maybe those would be easier for you in the future. Tenets are tough and take lots of thought.

-- The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools. --Herbert Spencer

Reply to
Larry Jaques

They're seen all over the world. Look at your warning labels. They're all written in English, French, AND Spanish, if not German, Swahili, Japanese, and Chinese.

When I left, California was printing voter's pamphlets and ballots in

26 different languages. I think they pared that down to a dozen now.

-- The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools. --Herbert Spencer

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Notably absent was Profane.

Reply to
Robatoy

Not at the end-user level. Not by a @#$%^&* long shot, bubba.

-- You are today where your thoughts have brought you; you will be tomorrow where your thoughts take you. -- James Lane Allen

Reply to
Larry Jaques

On Jun 13, 11:32=A0am, Larry Jaques

I expected a fold-back to a Canuckistani reference.

Reply to
Robatoy

You are learning, all by yourself!

-------

Reply to
Josepi

Eric is only a half bee anyway...

Reply to
Robatoy

I'll say one thing. When you Canucks mean to be vague, you do it in spades. (Either that or Toy drinks far too much. Same symptom.)

-- To know the road ahead, ask those coming back. -- Chinese Proverb

Reply to
Larry Jaques

And here I though nothing Pythonian was obscure..to wit:

Orchestra Leader:A-one, two, a-one two three four Leader: Half a bee, philisophically, Must ipso facto half not be. But half a bee has got to be Vis a vis it's entity.

-d'you see? But can a bee be said to be Or not to be an entire bee, When half the bee is not a bee, Due to some ancient injury.

-Singing!... All sing: La di di, one two three, Eric the Half a Bee. A B C D E F G, Eric the Half a Bee. Leader: Is this wretched demi-bee, Half asleep upon my knee, Some freak from a menagerie? All yell: No! It's Eric the Half a Bee. All sing: Fiddle di dum, fiddle di dee, Eric the Half a Bee. Ho ho ho, tee hee hee, Eric the Half a Bee. Leader: I love this hive employ-ee-ee, Bisected accidentally, One summer's afternoon by me, I love him carnally. All sing: He loves him carnally... Leader: Semi-carnally. (speaks) The End. Voice: Cyril Connolly? Leader: No, semi-carnally. Voice: Oh. All sing: (Quietly) Cyril Connolly (Ends with an elaborate whistle)

Reply to
Robatoy

Nevahoiduvit. I borrowed the entire set of movies from a friend and don't recall hearing it, either. Hmm. Oh, well. Carry on.

-- To know the road ahead, ask those coming back. -- Chinese Proverb

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Not from a movie, oh Pythenoid. From one of the very early episodes on BBC. It is also cut # 14 on the CD Monty Python Sings.

Reply to
Robatoy

I used to love MP's Flying Circus.

Ewwww! Sorry, too much like karaoke or show tunes for me. (I could never be gay. I'm bogus music averse.)

-- "The history of temperature change over time is related to the shape of the continents, the shape of the sea floor, the pulling apart of the crust, the stitching back together of the crust, the opening and closing of sea ways, changes in the Earth's orbit, changes in solar energy, supernoval eruptions, comet dust, impacts by comets and asteroids, volcanic activity, bacteria, soil formation, sedimentation, ocean currents, and the chemistry of air. If we humans, in a fit of ego, think we can change these normal planetary processes, then we need stronger medication." --Ian Plimer _Heaven and Earth: Global Warming, the Missing Science_

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I see... never listened to that CD, eh?

Reply to