OT again: Parents could be fined for missing school meetings

That's certainly fair. However teachers don't normally charge for the call. In fact I doubt that they are even allowed to. What you are proposing is akin to the dentist actually fixing your teeth for free and only charging if you fail to show up.

That may be the case, but you as a teacher also make your living off the government, not off of professional fees charged to the individual parent, who normally pays you nothing except indirectly via taxes.
As for your time being as "important" as your dentist's or doctor's time, how well did that one work last time you went for a raise?

So the meeting is not mandatory but you want to criminalize nonattendance anyway?
If you as a teacher don't understand the difference between a fee for professional services and a government-imposed fine then you are _not_ making the teaching profession look good.

No they don't, God Bless them. But they should charge when they have stayed after hours strictly for you and your childs benefit.
In fact I doubt that they are even allowed to. What you are

Are are you not thinking again of just trying to be funny?

So you are unaware that many teachers have second jobs and staying after school to talk to you about your child keeps them from going to that job. And, if you think the teacher is going to get that $500 fine paid to him or her you really are kinda slow and especially if you think any one is going to believe that.

It has always worked for me. If I feel that I don't deserve one I certainly will not ask for one. How dumb would that be?

OK, the fine is for a couple of problem instances, not for a single screw up by the parent. So that you can grasp the concempt. If you pay federal taxes and have to pay an additional amount at the end of the year you have to file and pay by mid April. You can pay on most any day before that date but if you decide not to pay by that date you need to file an extension or you could be fined and additional amount.

I beg to differ. Hell, your comments made the teaching profession look good.

Sure it is.
I have

That would be the reasonable excuse and reault.
As a teacher, I believe that my time is

Tenatively the parent will have the choice of 3 dates to attend the meeting if his child id having prpblems that require parental involvement.
As for the parent being

It is being proposed in Texas.
Glen wrote: >

If you make an appointment with your dentist and doctor and he keeps you cooling your heels in the reception area for a half hour, then spends two hours giving you another half-hour's worth of attention, does he pay you back for the two hours of your lost time? NO? I thought not.
If you as a teacher made an appointment with a parent, and he appeared on time but had to leave without seeing you because you kept him waiting for a half hour and he had another commitment on his time, should you pay HIM $500 for missing the appointment? Would YOU willingly accept such an arrangement?
Just Wondering wrote:

Unfortunately, no. But I do believe if my wait is not due to an emergency situation, he should.

I would jump at the chance! Thirty two years I have been teaching, and I have NEVER missed a scheduled parent conference, but I have been stood up countless times. Every time the conference was scheduled by the parent.
Glen
snipped-for-privacy@swbell.net says...

Oh, bullshit, Leon -- you advocate the Nanny State every chance you get. Your insistence on legislating the SawStop is a prime example.

Leon claims to be a conservative, I think. I am a liberal. Sort of.
I want the government out of my life, and the lives of everyone else, as much as is realistically possible in today's world. I do NOT want to see any increase in government power, unless said increase is vital to survival of the U.S. as a nation. We are at a point where a 50% decrease in Federal power would be an excellent idea, immediately followed by a 25% decrease in state power.
says...

Charlie you certainly read it they way you like. I do not recall insisting that the SawStop be legislated. I did say that I would not be opposed to it and thought it would be a good thing.
Do you see every thing as black or white?

Actually I am neither liberal nor conservative although if you have to label it I probably see eye to eye more with conservatives. I dont believe in siding with either side just because it is the popular thing to do. I can think for my self and can have my own openions. It shocks me how much my openion upsets certain people. Its only an openion. Like ass holes, every one has one. When I was in upper management my openions counted much more than they do today and while some of the time empoyees would not care for some of my changes it seemed to always work out the best for every one including the company. If my policy simply did not work out I would be the first to admit to it and make another change. I was never afraid to admit when I was wrong and my employees seemed to really appreciate that. They also knew that I was not one to put up with much crap. Playing games did not work with me.
Besides this discussion and the what you think I have said during a SawStop discussion, when do you think that I said that we should have a Nanny State? OK, I believe that if you speed you should get a ticket. I also believe that a red light camera used to give out fines for running a red light is a good idea. I am tired of risking my life when crossing an intersection. I am tired of waiting for 4 or 5 cars to clear out of the intersection after I have the green light.

Charlie I can think of a few places where you would not be bothered by a government, I don't think you would like it there. Unfortunately we live under a governments rule. All we can do is make the best of it.
I don't want more government power either. I propose that we rid the government of its power to require auto insurance and its power to increase taxes and trade those in on a 2 for 1 deal of making parents be responsible for their children's action in school.
You speak of no increases in power unless it is vital to the survival of the US as a nation. A nation with increasingly lower scoring students is one that is in danger of survival. It's the world we live in.
I agree with the 50% decrease in Federal power. Lets get rid of government aid programs and welfare.

Let's keep our attributions straight, Leon. That line above was from Dave Miller, not me.

Uh, sure. Except that would knock off about 5%, and Bush is already shaving things as close as possible, plus some, outside of military expenditures.
Incidentally, what do you call "welfare"? SSI? Or VA disability pensions?
Aid programs? Heating help for the elderly? Aid to Israel? Aid of any kind for any European country (I'll buy this one right now).
Put some specifics to your generalities while you're getting those attributions correct.

Let's keep our attributions straight, Leon. That line above was from Dave Miller, not me.
Sorry Charlie, I did respond to your name but have filtered "Dave" ;~) out. He probably used your name to respond so that I would see him.

Uh, sure. Except that would knock off about 5%, and Bush is already shaving things as close as possible, plus some, outside of military expenditures.
Incidentally, what do you call "welfare"? SSI? Or VA disability pensions?
SSI for specific reasons answered below.
Aid programs? Heating help for the elderly? Aid to Israel? Aid of any kind for any European country (I'll buy this one right now).
All of the above. In Texas the electic utilities provide help for the needy. Add to that the Single unwed breeding machines that get more money for each child thaty have. People on unemployment that can actually do some kind of work and choose not to because they don't have to.
Enough already. 200+ posts. Back to woodworking.

So post a wood working topic.
"James Silcott" wrote in message

Careful now ...
There is no cabal ... but they will definitely revoke that moderator wannabe license if you keep demonstrating that you do not understand the meaning of "OT".
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 2/07/07

*smirks*
Now that was funny.
Leon wrote:

No it wasn't.
;-)
rascal less in the world.

LOL.. ;~)

What aid to European countries would this be?
Leon wrote:

So Government is going to confiscate half a month's wages of a poor single working mother, to punish her for a lack of common courtesy? The teacher's already on salary, so a parental no'show doesn't cost the government anything. And the teacher is probably grading homework while waiting for the parent to show, so he/she doesn't really lose time anyway. If any time was lost, it would be maybe 15 minutes, If a teacher's time is worth $30/hour, that works out to $7.50 worth of lost time, tops. And for that you want the government to take food off the child's table, and clothes off its back?
We are a capitalistic society, where free enterprise and competition are the driving forces for excellence. But there is no competition in the education field. Most parents can't afford to send their children to private school, and lack the time to home-school their children because it tales all their spare time just to put bread on the table. They are forced to send their children to public schools, giving government an effective monopoly on the education of their children. What is needed is not more government power over parents, but more power for parents to have a meaningful choice in the education of their children. What is needed is a way to force public schools to compete for the education dollars.

Taking bread from a child's mouth to punish the parent for a lack of courtesy does not benefit the child.

The fine itself is not reasonable. The whole concept of fining the parent is not reasonable. It's unconscionable for the reasons I stated above.

>> or a long, long, long time and will continue regardless of sanctions.

It doesn't waste the teacher's time. Unless the teacher is badly disorganized, he or she will be using that time to grade papers, or prepare for the next day in class, or forthering his or her own education and self-improvement, or even furthering some personal objective having nothing in particular to do with school. If the teacher is so unproductive as to sit there actually wasting time, he/she is probably unfit to be a teacher in the first place.

This "fine" system doesn't EVER require a parent to meet with a teacher. As described. The parent can avoid a fine by simply refusing to make an appointment with the teacher. The fine kicks in only if the parent makes an appointment then fails to show. And if the parent DOES show, there's nothing to show forcing a parent to attend will change the behavior of either the parent or the child in either way. The "fine" system is nothing more or less than a bullying tactic, giving a teacher the power to force a parent to bend to his or her will.

Assuming there is a need for a parent and teacher to communicate about a child, there are other options, such as:
The teacher could talk to the parent by phone.
The teacher could use e-mail if available, or "snail mail" in any case.
The teacher could make an appointment with the parent to meet face to face at the child's home, or even show up unannounced. If it's the teacher who feels the need to communicate, let the teacher make the effort.

From your support of this "fine" system, you obviously like government involvement more than I do.

But doing the wrong thing is worse than doing nothing at all. And this "fine" system is the wrong thing.

How about taking that line from what I said out of context.
NO. Reread what I wrote. The parent chooses from 3 dates. Adter choosing a date and setting the appointment and they do not attend and do not call to cancel with a reasonable excuse the fine is then imposed.
The

And the teacher is probably grading homework while

Um, the teacher may be doing this on his or her time after hours. I know plenty that do. The parents no show costs plenty. The child learns that it is OK that your word meanins nothing.
And for that you want the government to take food off the

No I want the parent to be punished and take away his drug, and alcohol money. Maybe if the druggy parents lost their drug money he would spend more sober time looking after his kids. That sounds about as reasonable as the senario that you made up.

That is crap for 95% of the population. 95% of the kids could have 1 stay at home parent and move to a smaller house, drive a cheaper car, party a little less. I know plenty of peolpe that have done this including myself.
They are

Unless a parent is directly involved in what his child does at school a better school will make no difference.
What is

That still does not work.