OT again: Parents could be fined for missing school meetings

A period here would suffice.

The schools had those parents for 12 years and the thing that amazes me is that those parents are willing to let that system get its hands on _their_ kids.

First, shoot the "educators" and the education professors and the education theorists and burn all the education texts and start over with a clean slate--it would be difficult for them to do worse than what we have now.

And this won't happen until the teachers actually _know_ from first hand experience what value that knowledge has in their world beyond school. And that can't happen as long as most teachers go from school to teachers' college to teaching school without ever once having to find out how to apply that knowledge themselves.

Oh, the kids know why they're taking the courses. Because each one takes them one step closer to escaping from durance vile.

And that's the difference between you and a typical schoolteacher. You actually _know_ how to apply that math to real-world problems.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Please, you are now reduced to making up ridiculous "what-ifs" to support a really bad premise, making excuses for the bad behavior of the "downtrodden". I would be reasonably certain that were there extenuating circumstances such as these, the school would work with the parents involved to resolve such issues. In a practical sense, it is seldom people who are in this level of distress who have the problems the legislator is trying to address.

Mark & Juanita

/

The school never saw the many of the parents. A large percentage of the parents did not live in the US untill very recently.

Brilliant, do you really expect any one to take you seriousely?

Reply to
Leon

We live in South Texas, and in some areas of the state business is mainly manufacturing and agriculture. So my questions to him are: if all are educated, who will pick our lettuce? Who will pick the grapefruits and pack them for shipping? Who will clean up my jobsites and load the dumpsters? Who will prime and paint the bumpers at the truck bumper plants? Who will clean the live animal pens at the meat packing plant, and who will clean the guts up from the killing and first gutting floor at the slaugher house? Who will hold the "SLOW" sign that you see when going through a small road construction project?

If the jobs need to be done and you have no one to fill them raise the price you are willing to pay and they will line up for the work. So currently if lettuce is 89 cents a head with a $6 picker, the price might go up a bit if they had to pay $10 or $20 for a picker but the market would find it's price.

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

| The schools had those parents for 12 years and the thing that amazes | me is that those parents are willing to let that system get its | hands on _their_ kids.

Well, actually the parents don't have (or don't think they have) a choice.

| First, shoot the "educators" and the education professors and the | education theorists and burn all the education texts and start over | with a clean slate--it would be difficult for them to do worse than | what we have now.

Even in Texas I don't think you can do that. It's important to remember that no matter where you're going, you can only start from where you are. I suspect (but don't actually know) that Texas' educators could do a lot worse than is being done now. I'll also guess that there are ways to make *huge* improvements without spending very much.

How many Texas school districts are tapping into local (volunteer) resources to add substance to their programs? For example, the HISD sits in what must be an ocean of "rocket scientists" and engineers posessed of awesome math and computer skills - people who know for a fact that with the right intellectual tools, not even the sky is a limit. It's probably worth asking: "How many times in how many years has the HISD tapped that wealth of knowledge and enthusiasm so that it's students might catch fire?"

| And this won't happen until the teachers actually _know_ from first | hand experience what value that knowledge has in their world beyond | school. And that can't happen as long as most teachers go from | school to teachers' college to teaching school without ever once | having to find out how to apply that knowledge themselves.

I don't want to hear someone say that this isn't a solvable problem. All you're talking about here is getting teachers a little exposure to the world outside their classrooms! Perhaps it'd be worth developing an internship program and mandating three months of participation in field-related work prior to granting a masters degree in education...

| Oh, the kids know why they're taking the courses. Because each one | takes them one step closer to escaping from durance vile.

Regrettably each step along _this_ path leads down, rather than up. Kids need to know that they're not wasting their time in school. Being kids, they need to experience some excitement in learning, they need to feel the thrill of discovery - and, above all, they need to recognize that they are capable of accomplishing worthwhile things. _This_ is the path /up/!

|| only thing I did differently was to make sure they understood || _why_ we studied each topic and how mastering the course material || might affect their lives. That tiny bit extra was all they needed! | | And that's the difference between you and a typical schoolteacher. | You actually _know_ how to apply that math to real-world problems.

So? Let's ask The Big Question: "What can be done to help teachers-to-be gain that experience/perspective?"

Morris Dovey

Skipping country is always an option.

Of course there are, but does the theory on which educators are operating allow it?

Do any of those engineers and scientists have teaching certificates in math or "computer literacy"? If not then they aren't "qualified". My high school chemistry and physics teacher was associated with the Manhattan Project. One year she was not allowed to teach physics or chemistry because according to some piece of education-theoretical bureaucratic nonsense she wasn't "qualified", while Johnny Mac "the only physics I ever took was Ex-Lax" the football coach was according to the rules "qualfiied" and so he taught physics and chemistry.

The trouble is getting there from here without going somewhere else first.

First you have to convince the educational theorists that the teacher actually has to have such experience, until then they'll fight you tooth and claw.

How many teachers have a master's degree?

Unfortunately. Personally I maintained a good enough average to be accepted to Annapolis and Georgia Tech, but if someone had burned the school to the ground I'd have been the first to thank him.

To convince them of that first you have to be sure that they _aren't_ wasting their time.

Oh, they recognize that they are capable of accomplishing worthwhile things. The trouble is that instead of accomplishing worthwhile things they're stuck in school.

And the answer, alas, begins with shooting all the education theorists.

Of course there's also the "them as can do, them as can't teach" issue--any teacher who can get a job that gains that experience and perspective is unlikely to give it up to teach school.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Parent involvement is important for many students. However, a law that would fine a parent for not meeting with a teacher (excepting a meeting with a teacher and a policeman or one set by a judge to discuss a crime or illegal act) is not only stupid but most likely illegal in any state.

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

Probably not. What will happen is a huge law suit in which every person that pays taxes loses and maybe a few educators also lose their jobs.

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

SNIP

Roger... judging by the lack of response here, you may be the only one that didn't get that the particular paragraph you quoted was tongue in cheek. Of course I don't advocate generations of mindless idiots doing menial jobs for a living. I am one of those who still believe you should be all you can be.

God forbid we raise more generations of lettuce pickers and sign carriers simply because their parents are too lazy to take advantage of the opportunities for themselves and their kids.

Sorry for the confusion.

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

I have to agree with the intent of the law, but...first, sometimes it is the village idiot who HAS the kids, and making that idiot attend teacher/parent meetings or pay a fine they probably don't have the money to meet is a typical asinine government response.

This is not a matter for legislation. When I was a kid, and belonged to a Republican organization called Young Americans for Freedom (YAF), the idea was to keep government out of the individual citizen's life as much as possible. Today's Republican Party seems to be doing just the opposite, from education to bedroom.

Reply to
Charlie Self

Are you one of the people who cannot understand that others do not have the resources that upper-middle class families have, including friends who can give rides? On one point, you want someone to ask for help. On another, you want them to solve their own problems.

That doesn't make any more sense than does legislating attendance at school meetings..

Reply to
Charlie Self

I love it. You don't have a solution, so you demand someone else "think".

Actually, it is the teacher's problem as much as it is the child's and parent's problem. It is also society's problem, but legislation is not the way to correct it, and may well be un-Constitutional. I know us liberals are always tossing up the Constitution, Leon, but it's there and is the basis for our laws. At least it it mostly was before Shrub took office.

Reply to
Charlie Self

Around here the SLOW sign is held by whatever hapless cop got on the watch captain's shit list.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Only a tenured one would try. The way union rules are constructed, people with advanced degrees cannot be hired except at a higher rate of pay. Once tenured, even with a guaranteed pay raise for life, only around 20% in my state complete a masters. Teachers by and large are not academically oriented.

Then there's the matter of what that advanced degree would consist of. Having been there, it's a sorry set of feel-good no-fail most often no research or paper courses designed to make it easy to get through, leaving a money trail behind for the university. It's really disheartening to hear the traditional "is this material going to be on the test" question posed even in these classes by those seeking the most gain for the least effort. If the teacher, and that's what they are, _teachers_, education is the integration and internalization of knowledge, has this attitude, how can they expect their pupils to react otherwise in their classrooms?

Even "professional development" courses which were conceived of as a way to expose teachers to new methods rather than new information are going under here, because the Intermediate School District tasked with providing them has money problems, and won't pay for the subs and mileage. They're paying for aides and special effort to teach the unreachable with that money. Seems counterintuitive to spend increasingly on an individual kid, rather than on the teacher who touches all of them, but that's what's happening, and with the cooperation of the teachers themselves.

Then there are those like the people talking "constitution" and "law" to deal with. They can't understand that with no obligation on those receiving the money and effort to participate in obtaining a positive outcome, it's merely sand down the rathole. Trouble is, such talk infects the parents and kids with its arrogance and contempt for individual obligation every time "rights" to the public purse, free of obligation, are mentioned.

Last time I checked, non-appearance in court resulted in forfeiture of bail and the issuance of an arrest warrant. So the difference is?

Reply to
George

Are you one of the people who cannot understand that others do not have the resources that upper-middle class families have, including friends who can give rides? On one point, you want someone to ask for help. On another, you want them to solve their own problems.

That doesn't make any more sense than does legislating attendance at school meetings..

Yeah Charlie, I think that you are probably right. My child is now out of public school and none of this really concerns me any more. My child did well so that is all that really matters to me. We really should ignore the problem with school violence and poor attendance because that is how it has been and will always be. Lets not do some thing so drastic at to require parents to be accountable for their kids actions. Heck lets not even make the kids go to school because the family is too poor to make it with out their kids contributing to the family income.

Further, this law that is being proposed in a city close to Houston seems to be getting more support from the community that it will involve than those that will not be affected.

All these dam laws just get in the way and cramp my style.

Reply to
Leon

J. Clarke wrote: | On Sat, 3 Feb 2007 19:34:31 -0600, "Morris Dovey" | wrote: | || J. Clarke wrote: || ||| The schools had those parents for 12 years and the thing that ||| amazes me is that those parents are willing to let that system ||| get its hands on _their_ kids. || || Well, actually the parents don't have (or don't think they have) a || choice. | | Skipping country is always an option.

Well, I'm trying to figure out how we might improve our system. Running away from problems hardly ever constitutes a solution. As much as our educational system needs improvement, it's worth noting that there are places in the world where universal education hasn't been a priority. I left home after ninth grade because, at that time, there was no tenth grade anywhere in the country where I was living.

||| First, shoot the "educators" and the education professors and the ||| education theorists and burn all the education texts and start ||| over with a clean slate--it would be difficult for them to do ||| worse than what we have now. || || Even in Texas I don't think you can do that. It's important to || remember that no matter where you're going, you can only start from || where you are. I suspect (but don't actually know) that Texas' || educators could do a lot worse than is being done now. I'll also || guess that there are ways to make *huge* improvements without || spending very much. | | Of course there are, but does the theory on which educators are | operating allow it?

I'm not familiar with "the theory". I am sure that at least some states frameworks _do_ allow a certain amount of flexibility in how educational objectives are met.

|| How many Texas school districts are tapping into local (volunteer) || resources to add substance to their programs? For example, the HISD || sits in what must be an ocean of "rocket scientists" and engineers || posessed of awesome math and computer skills - people who know for || a fact that with the right intellectual tools, not even the sky is || a limit. It's probably worth asking: "How many times in how many || years has the HISD tapped that wealth of knowledge and enthusiasm || so that it's students might catch fire?" | | Do any of those engineers and scientists have teaching certificates | in math or "computer literacy"? If not then they aren't | "qualified". My high school chemistry and physics teacher was | associated with the Manhattan Project. One year she was not | allowed to teach physics or chemistry because according to some | piece of education-theoretical bureaucratic nonsense she wasn't | "qualified", while Johnny Mac "the only physics I ever took was | Ex-Lax" the football coach was according to the rules "qualfiied" | and so he taught physics and chemistry.

In at least some states it's acceptable for non-certified persons to contribute to the instructional program provided a regular teacher is present. At least one state does not require the presence of the regular teacher; and at least one state allows (or used to allow non-certified persons to substitute on a limited-term (temporary) basis for regular teachers.

This isn't new stuff. AFAIK, most schools tap their local police and fire departments for help in presenting safety information - partly because these people know what they're talking about; and partly for the "wow" factor for the kids.

||| And this won't happen until the teachers actually _know_ from ||| first hand experience what value that knowledge has in their ||| world beyond school. And that can't happen as long as most ||| teachers go from school to teachers' college to teaching school ||| without ever once having to find out how to apply that knowledge ||| themselves. || || I don't want to hear someone say that this isn't a solvable || problem. | | The trouble is getting there from here without going somewhere else | first.

The route _may_ turn out to be indirect; and that's ok provided that it doesn't lead the young folks into danger. I said early-on that I didn't know of any quick fixes.

|| All you're talking about here is getting teachers a little || exposure to the world outside their classrooms! | | First you have to convince the educational theorists that the | teacher actually has to have such experience, until then they'll | fight you tooth and claw.

Not necessarily true (unless you're going for a quick fix by making sweeping changes). First we need to convince teachers and school boards that such experience would be of significant benefit to students and teachers; and we need to find some way to reward teachers for expending the time and energy required. Cash would be good; but a "golden apple" and enhanced professional/community standing might go a long way.

|| Perhaps it'd be worth developing || an internship program and mandating three months of participation || in field-related work prior to granting a masters degree in || education... | | How many teachers have a master's degree?

I've known a bunch; but have no idea of the actual number.

||| Oh, the kids know why they're taking the courses. Because each ||| one takes them one step closer to escaping from durance vile. || || Regrettably each step along _this_ path leads down, rather than up. | | Unfortunately. Personally I maintained a good enough average to be | accepted to Annapolis and Georgia Tech, but if someone had burned | the school to the ground I'd have been the first to thank him. | || Kids need to know that they're not wasting their time in school. | | To convince them of that first you have to be sure that they | _aren't_ wasting their time.

They aren't wasting their time - perhaps that's difficult to grasp if you haven't lived in a country with a 10% literacy rate - the problems lie in delivering the best return on their time and energy and helping them to perceive the value of both their investment and the lifetime return on that investment.

It's a real challenge. Kids see things in the short term and have difficulty seeing beyond the immediate. One remedy (the only one I've found) is to "grow" their knowledge at a pace such that they find excitement in their own progress. My experience has been that once kids discover that learning can be exciting, it's difficult to hold 'em back and the teaching challenge is to keep 'em from running into blind alleys.

|| Being || kids, they need to experience some excitement in learning, they || need to feel the thrill of discovery - and, above all, they need to || recognize that they are capable of accomplishing worthwhile things. || _This_ is the path /up/! | | Oh, they recognize that they are capable of accomplishing worthwhile | things. The trouble is that instead of accomplishing worthwhile | things they're stuck in school.

And so the problem becomes one of _encouraging_ them to do worthwhile things _in_ school and to exert adult leadership in guiding them in constructive directions while they're students. It's important to always remember that kids are our intellectual equals - and that the only "advantages" we have are the body of factual knowledge we've acquired since we were in school and whatever wisdom (experience of consequence) we managed to accumulate.

I think you're too focused on these (remote) theorists and need to refocus on how we can better meet the educational needs of the kids in front of us here and now.

| Of course there's also the "them as can do, them as can't teach" | issue--any teacher who can get a job that gains that experience and | perspective is unlikely to give it up to teach school.

I won't argue with you on that. Instead, let me say a couple of words about my high school chemistry teacher: Doc Johnson was a scrawny shiny-headed old guy who loved chemistry and after a long career as a research chemist for either Dow or DuPont (I can't remember which) he retired to share his love with young people. About the time he arrived I decided that I'd rather take chemistry than biology, so ended up in one of his first classes. I struggled all the way through the course and was probably a PIA to have in class - but Doc prevailed and, somehow, I managed a passing grade. There were three points worth noting on the last day of class: [1] Doc Johnson never gave any sign of disappointment in how I performed; [2] I wasn't terribly proud of the grade I'd earned; and [3] neither Doc Johnson nor I had difficulty recognizing that my knowledge of basic chemistry had grown considerably since the previous September. I was glad the course was over and put the memory of it behind me the following year as I started in on physics...

...until time for college boards. I needed to take a science exam and was only partway through my year of physics. I opted to take the chemistry test only because I'd already finished the course; but I hope to tell you that I had some serious misgivings. I didn't feel a bit better after taking the exam and wondered how much damage I might have done to my chances for getting into college.

Results arrived an eternity (probably only a couple of months) later. I ran into Doc Johnson in the hallway (not realizing that the results had also been made available to him) and got a big smile: "Nice job, Morris. Your 798 was about what I'd expected. Keep up the good work," and he walked away down the hall.

There's a point to all this: Doc Johnson did, indeed, have a doctorate in chemistry; and, no, he had no teaching credentials - but the fact is that it is possible to both do _and_ teach - and to do both well.

Morris Dovey

of

exists.

No, it hasn't happened to me, but that doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

One of my neighbors, a divorced mom, took time off from one of her two jobs to take one of her kids to the emergency room. Even though she called in to explain the situation, she was fired for being late to work. One thing led to another, and Social Services was called in.

So don't denigrate problems of a type that DO exist just because they are outside of your experience.

Len

Reply to
Len

They should at least be able to attend a telephone conference.

Reply to
Bruce Barnett

Quite a discussion going on. I seem to have missed the logical answer. Vouchers, and let folks who don't like public school rules or education quality vote with their feet.

Although my kids are grown with families of their own, I still have a stake in the school system. I help with the grandkids' tuition so they can attend a Catholic school (and I'm Lutheran). The plan is to continue until they reach the 8th grade.

John

Reply to
John Flatley

Fining them is easy. Collecting the fine is another story.

Reply to
Nova