OT: Advertising

Oops, the protocols should be 3G and 4G, I think, not G4!

Reply to
Bill

Now you tell me. I just went out and bought a new G4 phone this afternoon. The guy told me to come back and he'll give me a 50% trade in credit when the G5 comes out next week.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I may need to take the rest of the day off to sort that one out! %-)

Reply to
Bill

----------------------------------------------------------------- And then there are people like me.

When I came to SoCal in 1990, thought about getting a cell; however, they were half the size of the car, req'd antenna installation, had holes in the coverage just where I needed it most, and were EXPENSIVE.

20+ years they are still expensive and I've come to the conclusion that the last thing I need is an electronic nursemaid.

Call my office, leave a message, I'll try to get back to you.

Today, high tech for me is a MagicJack.

$20/year for a phone is my speed these days.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

G4 is great, if you can get it, as long as you don't exceed your "plan". That's the exactly problem. Streaming takes a *lot* of bandwidth, which just isn't available. Yet.

Reply to
krw

I posted this already to the Rockler thread, but I wanted to make it a part of this thread too (where I think it better fits):

Part of the "game" is that they may not really be trying to sell you the stated gadgets--but only trying to "keep you in the loop". They want you to keep their brand name and woodworking on your mind and don't want you to wander off into some other hobby. Anyone not been reminded of router tables sufficiently-adequately? This is validated by the poor quality and frequency of their email advertisements. If they wanted something more they would try harder. It cost them next to nothing to send you the same message several times per week. The better I've come to understand what they are doing, the less I appreciate it. I've paused to asked myself, "How many of their emails I've received from them in the last couple of years have been genuinely helpful?" What is it I did to deserve to be treated like that? (LOL)

Am I the only one? :)

Bill

Reply to
Bill

Interesting that you should mention that. I was in Rockler, Woodcraft, and Peachtree Saturday. I was amazed at the floor space devoted to router tables (I have two, already, thank you). That space has to be expensive and doesn't everyone who wants one, have one?

I don't hate marketing. Rather the opposite; find it fascinating.

Reply to
krw

We're not quite that bad. We've got one of the prepaid phones, roughly $100 a year to get minutes that roll over. We carry it for emergencies while traveling and when one of us goes somewhere without the other. We have on occasion used up some of the minutes when we have to call long distance that has no toll free number.

Other than that it stays turned off. I don't want to be always reachable!

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

[...]

-------------------------------------------------------------- "Larry Blanchard" wrote:

---------------------------------------------------------------------- The next time I need to travel, have given some thought to buying a "burn phone".

These days a cell has almost become a necessity if you travel.

Will just wait until the need arises.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

If you think motorcycle road racing is "gentlemanly" you aren't looking closely enough. Couple of weeks ago in MotoGP, one guy (the points leader) passed his teammate (the third in points, but catching up) so closely that his frame caught his teammate's traction control sensor cable on the back wheel and broke it. Unfortunately, the rider didn't realize it and when he gunned it in the next turn three seconds later, BOOM, high-side, and out of the championship contention.

Reply to
scritch

I've long suspected that there is a great markup on MDF router table tops. I don't have one yet--wouldn't Birch-ply hold up (to humidity and the constant weight of the router) better?

Reply to
Bill

---------------------------------------------------------- "Mike Marlow" wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------- Lew Hodgett wrote:

---------------------------------------------------------- "Mike Marlow" wrote:

------------------------------------------------------------ Absolutely not. Like I said the last th> A basic, simple cell phone is free and basic service is almost free.

-------------------------------------------------------------- A cell is a totally useless piece of equipment in my present life style.

--------------------------------- To each his own.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

-------------------------------------------------------- Built the one Norm built on NYW.

I did and would do it again.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

That's not really a lack of sportmanship. That's just part of the game, I'm sure it wasn't intentional.

I guess I haven't watched in so long, I didn' tknow they had traction control... Used to be the rider provided the touch... not it's electronic...

Reply to
woodchucker

Thanks, I will look that one up! Writing it down now!

Bill

Reply to
Bill

It's amazing the amount of automation that can be fitted on one small motorcycle. Before long they won't need the rider.

AFAIK, that hasn't reached the dirt track boys yet - I hope it never does.

Reply to
Larry Blanchard