OT: Advertising

G4 is great, if you can get it, as long as you don't exceed your "plan". That's the exactly problem. Streaming takes a *lot* of bandwidth, which just isn't available. Yet.

Damn fine fellows, brutally handsome too.

As boring as watching tennis except for the occasional crash.

Not handsome, brutally handsome.

Pit Bulls are brutally handsome.
On 11/1/2013 1:10 AM, Leon wrote:

I think the brutally part fits :-)

--
Jeff

On Thu, 31 Oct 2013 22:21:00 -0400, Mike Marlow wrote:

I too hate all the advertising that I see everywhere, but for some reason I seem to be able to filter it out when I watch NASCAR. I just tried to think who was sponsoring a few of my favorite drivers, and I could only come up with one sponsor of one driver - it's hard to ignore that big target on Montoya's car :-).
I find myself watching less and less though as the sport changes. The super speedways are boring, all the rules are boring. The only good change I've seen is the added safety features.
Now flat track motorcycle racing - that's something else. But there's very little of that around here.
--
This message was for rec.woodworking - if it appears in homeownershub
they ripped it off.
On Fri, 01 Nov 2013 14:06:49 -0400, Mike Marlow wrote:

I think you're thinking of road racing. The flat track I'm talking about is the old dirt track steel shoe version. Heat races, semi-finals, and the main event. Lots of races in one evening. Take a look at:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L32V0MgvS7I

--
This message was for rec.woodworking - if it appears in homeownershub
they ripped it off.
On Fri, 1 Nov 2013 23:25:03 +0000 (UTC), Larry Blanchard

Dirt? Too easy:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-MyyDiBRio

I just can't get into watching vehicles go 'round-y-'round for more than a few minutes. Tennis is the same. Worth doing but not worth watching.
On Fri, 01 Nov 2013 19:36:13 -0400, Mike Marlow wrote:

A friend of mine did a little of that long ago in LA. His favorite story was about the time he couldn't make a turn and was headed for the fence. He remembered the stunt guys hitting a wooden fence right in the middle of a board so it would split, and hopefully carry a few neighboring boards with it to open a hole. He says he had nothing to lose so he might as well try it. Worked like a charm. Unfortunately, what was on the other side of the fence was a parked car! Luckily only minor injuries.
--
This message was for rec.woodworking - if it appears in homeownershub
they ripped it off.
On 11/1/2013 4:36 PM, Mike Marlow wrote:

If you think motorcycle road racing is "gentlemanly" you aren't looking closely enough. Couple of weeks ago in MotoGP, one guy (the points leader) passed his teammate (the third in points, but catching up) so closely that his frame caught his teammate's traction control sensor cable on the back wheel and broke it. Unfortunately, the rider didn't realize it and when he gunned it in the next turn three seconds later, BOOM, high-side, and out of the championship contention.
On 11/3/2013 9:36 PM, scritch wrote:

That's not really a lack of sportmanship. That's just part of the game, I'm sure it wasn't intentional.
I guess I haven't watched in so long, I didn' tknow they had traction control... Used to be the rider provided the touch... not it's electronic...
--
Jeff

On Sun, 03 Nov 2013 22:46:40 -0500, woodchucker wrote:

It's amazing the amount of automation that can be fitted on one small motorcycle. Before long they won't need the rider.
AFAIK, that hasn't reached the dirt track boys yet - I hope it never does.
--
This message was for rec.woodworking - if it appears in homeownershub
they ripped it off.

Use Firefox with AdBlock Plus -- most ads vanish.
Doug Miller wrote:

Thanks, I do use that (among other browsers). I've been more proactive today--changing my home page, throwing away some mail without reading it, deleting email faster, and switching from radio to CD. As I was driving down the road I happen to notice plenty of advertising on both sides of the street too--I believe they call it commerce or similar. Several businesses even pay people to carry signs out in front to draw ones attention. Throw in a few blinking lights, and I call it pollution.
I posted this already to the Rockler thread, but I wanted to make it a part of this thread too (where I think it better fits):
Part of the "game" is that they may not really be trying to sell you the stated gadgets--but only trying to "keep you in the loop". They want you to keep their brand name and woodworking on your mind and don't want you to wander off into some other hobby. Anyone not been reminded of router tables sufficiently-adequately? This is validated by the poor quality and frequency of their email advertisements. If they wanted something more they would try harder. It cost them next to nothing to send you the same message several times per week. The better I've come to understand what they are doing, the less I appreciate it. I've paused to asked myself, "How many of their emails I've received from them in the last couple of years have been genuinely helpful?" What is it I did to deserve to be treated like that? (LOL)
Am I the only one? :)
Bill

Interesting that you should mention that. I was in Rockler, Woodcraft, and Peachtree Saturday. I was amazed at the floor space devoted to router tables (I have two, already, thank you). That space has to be expensive and doesn't everyone who wants one, have one?

I don't hate marketing. Rather the opposite; find it fascinating.
snipped-for-privacy@attt.bizz wrote:

I've long suspected that there is a great markup on MDF router table tops. I don't have one yet--wouldn't Birch-ply hold up (to humidity and the constant weight of the router) better?
"Bill" wrote:

I did and would do it again.
Lew
On 11/3/2013 10:37 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote:

Thanks, I will look that one up! Writing it down now!
Bill