OT: Adams again

While looking up the quote from John Adams I used in a prior post, I ran across this one and thought some might like it:

"The priesthood have, in all ancient nations, nearly monopolized learning. Read over again all the accounts we have of Hindoos, Chaldeans, Persians, Greeks, Romans, Celts, Teutons, we shall find that priests had all the knowledge, and really governed mankind. Examine Mahometanism, trace Christianity from its first promulgation; knowledge has been almost exclusively confined to the clergy. And, even since the Reformation, when or where has existed a Protestant or dissenting sect who would tolerate a free inquiry? The blackest billingsgate, most ungentlemanly insolence, the most yahooish brutality is patiently endured, countenanced, propagated and applauded. But touch a solemn truth in collision with a dogma of a sect, though capable of the clearest proof, and you will soon find you have disturbed a nest, and the hornets will swarm about your legs and hands, and fly into your face and eyes." John Adams

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

A source for a quote is always a good idea. In this case this should serve to fulfill that requirement.

Sourced Letter to John Taylor (1814) as quoted in The Political Writings of John Adams (2001) Edited by George W. Carey, p. 440

Deb

Larry Blanchard wrote:

Reply to
Dr. Deb

You were quite correct, LB!

-- Education should provide the tools for a widening and deepening of life, for increased appreciation of all one sees or experiences. It should equip a person to live life well, to understand what is happening around him, for to live life well one must live life with awareness. -- Louis L'Amour

Reply to
Larry Jaques