OT: A trillion dollars

Page 1 of 3
If you had one million one-dollar bills and stood on a street corner giving them away at the rate of one per minute, it would take you three years to get rid of them all at 24 hours per day. To give away a billion of them would take 3,000 years. A TRILLION would take you THREE MILLION YEARS.
http://tinyurl.com/cbcxc3
1D1OT wrote:

But it only took the Obamessiah and his evil henchmen Pelosi and Reid a mere few weeks to do so...
Tim Daneliuk wrote:

So how long did it take from the final version of the $700 billion TARP bill being passed by Congress until Bush signed it? I'll save you the trouble of looking it up, it was a matter of a few hours.

It's only money. Though I suppose with a trillion here and a trillion there it soon starts to add up.
DGDevin wrote:

And lest anyone forget, the list of yea and nay votes in both houses is still at
http://www.iedu.com/Documents/Bailout2008.txt
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
DGDevin wrote:

And how many hours did it take obama to sign the pelosi pork bill? Did you notice that this last 400+ billion spending bill obama hid in his office?
To paraphrased what he said: I plan to eliminate earmark spending and will give the American people 5 days to review any spending bill before I sign it.
One of many promises already broken.

He never said that, that kind of paraphrasing is misleading. That was McCain who talked about eliminating pork. Obama pledged to "reform pork" spending. 25 out of 28 recipients of pork in the last bill were Repuglicans. Try to get it right.
Robatoy wrote:

I suppose you can rationalize away the five days, no lobbyist, and other promises that have been broken.
How about the obama effect, 30% decrease in the stock markets since he was elected, instead of the 10% rise that has happened for every presidential election for the last century except two other democrats; Carter, and Wilson?
Tell me the truth. You're one of Timbit's relatives aren't you?

The man was elected right at the beginning of an increasing, serious recession and you expect a stock increase? If you're going to argue about some topic that has absolutely nothing to do with woodworking, at least make *some* attempt to argue it intelligently.
Upscale wrote:

He was elected near the *END* of a recession wherein it is reasonable to expect improvement (the average recovery from recession is something like 18-24 months). The Obamfuhrer is actually *lengthening* the recession with his idiot policies.

This coming from someone who's entire rhetorical range consists of fulminating, personal attacks, and whining...
If "tundraware" is your company, you're probably scaring customers away with your postings. Who would want to do business with someone who thinks like you?
Perry Aynum wrote:

Rational, thoughtful people that are just as sick of the culture of stealing and mooching that has invaded Western democracies as I am, that's who.

And you accuse me of attacks and whining? You, whose sole mantra is life is "What is it going to cost me."
Keith Nuttle wrote:

I am disappointed that the Obama administration has failed to live up to some of the promises made before the election, an example being the new No. 2 guy at the Pentagon being a former defense contractor lobbyist. I can't believe he was the only person good enough for that job that they had to waive the promise about pushing lobbyists away from the table in Washington. Things like that suggest the new administration is discovering that governing is somewhat more difficult than making promises.

The economy crashed while Bush was still in office, to imagine that a catastrophe that widespread would magically reverse itself the day Obama was sworn in is childish. If a ship ends up on the rocks the guy you want to talk to is whoever was Captain when it happened, not his replacement after the fact.
DGDevin wrote:

Keep going back. You have Clinton and Barney Frank to thank.
--

-MIKE-

-MIKE- wrote:

Yup, Clinton signed a couple of bills (passed by a Republican-controlled Congress) that directly facilitated the financial collapse by loosening regulation of the banks, he still defends doing so to this day too. Of course that doesn't mean the next administration gets a pass from failing to recognize what was happening. None of the bastards wanted to call an end to the party no matter how wild it got, so long as the market was going up they chose to look the other way. You'd think the Great Crash of 1929 would have taught us to avoid this sort of unregulated speculatory greed, but apparently not. I'm no fan of big government, but at the point where my tax dollars are being used to rescue giant banks run by morons who gambled and lost (and paid themselves multi-million-dollar bonuses even as their companies crumbled around them), I want the sonsofbitches forced to play by rules that will keep it from happening again. Time for some re-regulation, we tried it the other way and look what it got us.
DGDevin wrote:

Any argument that fails to cite the CRA and the impact of community organizers threatening legal and civil action against banks is missing the root cause of the problem. During the Clinton administration, the Reno justice department threatened prosecution of banks whose lending practices in certain neighborhoods did not meet their quotas (numerous links to this can be found using ask.com with the search criteria "janet reno justice department prosecution banks lending minority" The Bush administration tried 11 times to reform Fredie Mac/Fannie Mae oversight and was demonized by the media and people like Barney Frank as being bigots and racists because those entities were just fine while they continued to lower lending standards to the point that welfare payments were considered OK to use as income for loan qualification.
This whole notion that somehow greedy bankers were the root cause of this disaster is laughably absurd. Taking for the moment, the notion that bankers and investment firms are greedy SOBs only out for fiscal gain. It defies logic how any of these people, absent external coercion, would get together and say, "Hey, I've got an idea for more loan money! Let's start making loans to people we know won't be able to pay them back. But what we'll do, we'll take those loans, split them up into securities and sell the securities!" That doesn't even pass the laugh test. A rational person would agree that the more likely scenario is a group of bankers getting together and saying, "OK, we're gonna have huge legal and regulatory issues if we don't start making these sub-prime loans. Any one of our banks is going to go down in flames if the risk is upon only banks in high-risk areas. Let's spread the risk around by diluting what we know will be bad loans with good ones, that way, the losses will be spread and hopefully everyone will be able to stay afloat and remain profitable". The only thing not taken into account was the continued lowering of standards by Fannie/Freddie and the demand-loop that increased housing prices beyond rational. Then, when the bubble did eventually burst, those sub-prime problems were magnified because the cost of all housing had been driven up.

Heck no! They're bankers because they like us and wish us well. If there was a way for them to make us all happy without them making a penny, they would do so.
I can not even TRY to entertain your hypotheticals without breaking out. First into a sweat, then into uncontrollable laughter.
I would like a referral to your drug dealer, Mark.
Robatoy wrote:

Maybe the tinfoil hat is causing some sort of short to the synapses in whatever part of your brain that controls hysteria. :-p
--

-MIKE-

Okay, I'm sorry. I will pretend Mark's hypothetical scenario is rational.