OT: A Message From the Rural Midwest

Page 4 of 4

You're thinking "pony" engines, which JD, Cat, and many others used. They were just a gasoline engine used as a starter motor. This thing was used by IH for many years in both construction and farm equipment. Had a third valve in each cylinder that when opened reduced compression by opening up additional chamber with a spark plug in it, and same mechanism that opened the valve abled up the ignition and the carburetor. You started it on gasoline, let it warm up, then opened diesel throttle & threw the valve lever over to switch it to diesel compression. When done operating, you shut the diesel off & let it die, then restart on gas later.
McCormick & JD, probably others, also had what they called "distillate" engines on early farm tractors. They used carburetion & ignition, but had a little gas tank & big kerosene tank. Had to start'em on gas & warm up before shutting off gasoline & turning on kerosene, or they wouldn't run for beans. Shut down, kill kero, run on gas until all kero is out of carb, or you'll have a h***uva time starting it the next day. Nahmie
PS As long as we're OT, I'm ggonna post an OT on ABPW to go along with this, a "hybrid" John Deere "R"
Tom Watson writes:

Yes. Did that to ours, too. It worked, but I understand that now the EPA will fine or jug anyone who oils his road.
Charlie Self "I hope our wisdom will grow with our power, and teach us, that the less we use our power the greater it will be." Thomas Jefferson
On 15 Nov 2003 17:15:42 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnotforme (Charlie Self) responds:

Now they use calcium chloride here to keep the dust down (used as road salt in parts of the world where it stays warm enough to melt ice with salt). Makes the roads as slick as snot whenever it rains.
Luigi Replace "no" with "yk" twice in reply address for real email address
"Man is a tool-using animal. Weak in himself and of small stature, he stands on a basis of some half-square foot, has to straddle out his legs lest the very winds supplant him. Nevertheless, he can use tools, can devise tools: with these the granite mountain melts into light dust before him: seas are his smooth highway, winds and fire his unwearying steeds. Nowhere do you find him without tools. Without tools he is nothing: with tools he is all." Thomas Carlyle
They do _whole roads_ with calcium chloride? You must be rich. The township gives us two bags to suppress dust in front of our houses, and lets the rest roll.
Time was they would get trucks of papermaking waste liquor, but that was only applied in front of dwellings as dust control, too. Smelled neat, though.

On Sun, 16 Nov 2003 08:47:27 -0500, "George"

The Atlin road for one, from Jake's Corner (Hey, C-less, I never realized you had a spot in the Yukon named after you!) to Atlin, mostly unpaved for about 100 kilometres.
Luigi Replace "no" with "yk" twice in reply address for real email address
"Man is a tool-using animal. Weak in himself and of small stature, he stands on a basis of some half-square foot, has to straddle out his legs lest the very winds supplant him. Nevertheless, he can use tools, can devise tools: with these the granite mountain melts into light dust before him: seas are his smooth highway, winds and fire his unwearying steeds. Nowhere do you find him without tools. Without tools he is nothing: with tools he is all." Thomas Carlyle

'Round here we keep the drivers oiled. Doesn't seem to have an effect on the dust and mud, but the bullshit is beyond belief.
Bob
The Carolina's have sand; MS has mud (clay) and when it rains, NOTHING moves on some of their roads.
On Fri, 14 Nov 2003 20:02:43 -0500, Silvan

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com says...

Dang, where's the Windex?
On Fri, 14 Nov 2003 23:42:45 GMT, "Doug Winterburn"

She sounds familiar. Warn't she Ellie May's sister?
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Heart Attacks: God's revenge for eating his little animal friends -- http://www.diversify.com Comprehensive Website Development --
On Thu, 13 Nov 2003 23:07:09 -0600, Dave Balderstone

<all the good stuff snipped>
Thanks, Dave...made me chuckle.
Its my understanding that the border states are gonna install toll gates...and that they'll need a permit to travel across the states.
They're gonna have a conclave in Chicago...and use their system as a model. I'm not sure, but I think the Chicago road construction crews are gonna contribute their ideas, also.
Thanks again.
Have a nice week...
Trent
On Thu, 13 Nov 2003 23:07:09 -0600, Dave Balderstone

Being from Pennsyltucky, I s'pose I qualify as an Easterner.
(although Jimmy Carville says that Pennsyltucky is Pittsburgh in the West, Philadelphia in the East, and Alabama in between - which is a hell of a thing for a Looseyann boy to say about 'Bama)
Anyways, story is told, by very unreliable sources, about the day some New Yak City boys tried to rob a bank in their home town, screwed it up, and headed West.
They dropped down out of New York State into Potter County, Pennsyltucky and decided to rob a roadhouse bar to get some grub and gas money.
Well, it was the evening of the Opening Day of Deer Season and, being Potter County, the most intensely hunted county in the state, the bar was full of hunters.
The three lads walked into the bar and showed their iron.
When the State Police led the young men away, one of the shaken, wannabe robbers was heard to say:
"I've never seen so many people pointing guns at me."
"This is worse than The Bronx."
Tom Watson wrote:

Kinda sums it up. You have some beautiful country and some really nice people up there. Just none of it within range of SEPTA. :)

I can imagine. I ate dinner with some kindly folks in the sticks west of Altoona once. They regaled me with tales of how they ran the last game warden out of town, and asked (in the middle of June or so) if I wanted to go deer hunting.
We here in the South don't have a monopoly on rednecks by a long shot. :)
The older Norwegians in my neck of the midwest like lutefisk around Christmas. Many of us younger ones have had at most one bite. (I had one bite, most of my siblings have had zero.) Lutefisk is a dish made of codfish soaked in lye. IMO the person who invented it either pulled a fabuluous practical joke that no one else got, or was so frugal he'd never throw any food away no matter what had happened to it.
Found this link in another newsgroup. Put down the coffee cup before opening.
http://www.ecst.csuchico.edu/~atman/ic/lutefisk.html
-- Mark
On 17 Nov 2003, Mark Jerde spake unto rec.woodworking:

From the site, above:
*******
1. Take a shot aquavit. 2. Take two. (They're small.) 3. Put a bit of caviar on a bit of lettuce. 4. Put the lettuce on a cracker. 5. Squeeze some lemon juice on the caviar. 6. Pour some ketchup on the Kit-Kat bar. 7. Tie the dishtowel around your eyes.
If you can taste the difference between caviar on a cracker and ketchup on a Kit-Kat while blindfolded, you have not had enough aquavit to be ready for lutefisk. Return to step one.
*******
Brilliant stuff!
Scott Cramer wrote:

ROTFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
On Tue, 18 Nov 2003 20:59:36 -0500, Silvan

I saw in the newest www.edwardrhamilton.com mag today that they have a copy of a lutefisk cookbook with 200 recipes of traditional Jewish cooking/preparation. I upset a Jewish lady friend one time when I commented that her lutefisk tasted like a Jewish version of Spam.
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==-=--=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=- Life is full of little surprises. * Comprehensive Website Development --Pandora * http://www.diversify.com
brought forth from the murky depths:

Jaques, you silver-tongued devil: how could Spam be kosher? (that is NOT a rhetorical question)
Bob
brought forth from the murky depths:

She didn't like my joke and that subtle portion of it passed entirely over her head.
-- SAVE THE PARROTS! Eschew the use of poly! ---------- http://diversify.com Poly-free Website Development
All those folks eat herring on the New Year for luck, too. Much tastier!