OT: A Message From the Rural Midwest

Actually DDT had a very low toxicity factor for humans. What did it in as a pesticide was a theoretical link to weakened eagle eggs. The supposed link to cancer was very weak and based upon studies that fed extremely high doses to lab mice.

All of which would be of academic interest except for the number of people all over the world dying of malaria because of this ban.

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

Who, and/or what, is this Usk? I used to live outside of the town of Usk in Eastern Washington state and I've always wondered about the name.

Tim Douglass

Tim Douglass

Named after Usk Wales by a Welsh imigrant.

Dick

Reply to
Rico

On Sat, 15 Nov 2003 22:17:36 GMT, Tom Watson scribbled:

Only in Ireland and in the poor misbegotten ex-colony you have the misfortune to live in.

Well, I'll be damned! Nay! So there! I have never heard such unmitigated BS.

Tom, you uncannily remind me of my friend Doug, who is also a cabinetmaker, pretends to be Irish, is into peat-moss-and-caramel-flavoured rubbing alcohol (too much water in it to even qualify as shellac thinner), is given to flights of verse, and hates (i.e. is jealous of) plumbers. I suppose you hate grappa too?

And your point is?

;-)

Reply to
Luigi Zanasi

On 15 Nov 2003 17:15:42 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnotforme (Charlie Self) responds:

Now they use calcium chloride here to keep the dust down (used as road salt in parts of the world where it stays warm enough to melt ice with salt). Makes the roads as slick as snot whenever it rains.

Luigi Replace "no" with "yk" twice in reply address for real email address

"Man is a tool-using animal. Weak in himself and of small stature, he stands on a basis of some half-square foot, has to straddle out his legs lest the very winds supplant him. Nevertheless, he can use tools, can devise tools: with these the granite mountain melts into light dust before him: seas are his smooth highway, winds and fire his unwearying steeds. Nowhere do you find him without tools. Without tools he is nothing: with tools he is all." Thomas Carlyle

Reply to
Luigi Zanasi

On Sat, 15 Nov 2003 22:17:36 GMT, Tom Watson brought forth from the murky depths:

OK, it's time to trade in this kyboard. It's sticking so I'm losing my A and E every once in awhile. I think I'll plug in the spare for a week to see if I can remember why I unplugged it.

I don't "do" either, so stuff 'em in your neighbor's haggis. (another thing I wouldn't consider doing)

----------------------------------------------- I'll apologize for offending someone...right after they apologize for being easily offended.

Inoffensive Web Design

Reply to
Larry Jaques

On Sat, 15 Nov 2003 18:28:34 -0500, "Norman D. Crow" brought forth from the murky depths:

Walking very, very fast vs. running. I blew out the gutters and cleaned off the roof today, so my knees are sore from the stooping and climbing.

What, you're not even going to comment on the age thing?

----------------------------------------------- I'll apologize for offending someone...right after they apologize for being easily offended.

Inoffensive Web Design

Reply to
Larry Jaques

What age thing? You're still a kid.

Charlie Self "I hope our wisdom will grow with our power, and teach us, that the less we use our power the greater it will be." Thomas Jefferson

Reply to
Charlie Self

On Sat, 15 Nov 2003 22:17:36 GMT, Tom Watson Crawled out of the shop and said. . .:

snip

snip

Sure,,,but the Scotts perfected it fella...

sort of like the polish inventing the toilet, and three years later the germans puttin a hole in the bottom, , ,

*EG*

Traves

Reply to
Traves W. Coppock

Hell, weegee, at least we're an EX colony. (note to Northern Defense Perimeter - watch for incoming)

I would have expected you to say, "Nee."

If by BS you mean 'bella stronzo', This isn't a BAD thread. You'll find him up and to the left.

Oy !

Love grappa. Hate plumbers. Hate electricians, too. Like painters - cause they make my crappy trim work look nice.

Proven.

Reply to
Tom Watson

They do _whole roads_ with calcium chloride? You must be rich. The township gives us two bags to suppress dust in front of our houses, and lets the rest roll.

Time was they would get trucks of papermaking waste liquor, but that was only applied in front of dwellings as dust control, too. Smelled neat, though.

Reply to
George

The Carolina's have sand; MS has mud (clay) and when it rains, NOTHING moves on some of their roads.

Reply to
Lawrence A. Ramsey

Yes, Virginia, er . . . Larry, there is a Santa, and yes, we had oil then. IIRC, the aforementioned crawler was one o' them cantankerous ol' dual fuel Internationals that you started on gas, then switched to diesel.

Also, thanks to Charlie Self, he answered the "age" comment. Nahmie

Reply to
Norman D. Crow

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

"Usk and ye shall receive"

Reply to
admin

Two engines I suppose, like the heavier John Deere two cylinder tractors like the "R" and "730"?

-- Mark

Reply to
Mark Jerde

You're thinking "pony" engines, which JD, Cat, and many others used. They were just a gasoline engine used as a starter motor. This thing was used by IH for many years in both construction and farm equipment. Had a third valve in each cylinder that when opened reduced compression by opening up additional chamber with a spark plug in it, and same mechanism that opened the valve abled up the ignition and the carburetor. You started it on gasoline, let it warm up, then opened diesel throttle & threw the valve lever over to switch it to diesel compression. When done operating, you shut the diesel off & let it die, then restart on gas later.

McCormick & JD, probably others, also had what they called "distillate" engines on early farm tractors. They used carburetion & ignition, but had a little gas tank & big kerosene tank. Had to start'em on gas & warm up before shutting off gasoline & turning on kerosene, or they wouldn't run for beans. Shut down, kill kero, run on gas until all kero is out of carb, or you'll have a h***uva time starting it the next day. Nahmie

PS As long as we're OT, I'm ggonna post an OT on ABPW to go along with this, a "hybrid" John Deere "R"

Reply to
Norman D. Crow

On Sun, 16 Nov 2003 08:47:27 -0500, "George" scribbled:

The Atlin road for one, from Jake's Corner (Hey, C-less, I never realized you had a spot in the Yukon named after you!) to Atlin, mostly unpaved for about 100 kilometres.

Luigi Replace "no" with "yk" twice in reply address for real email address

"Man is a tool-using animal. Weak in himself and of small stature, he stands on a basis of some half-square foot, has to straddle out his legs lest the very winds supplant him. Nevertheless, he can use tools, can devise tools: with these the granite mountain melts into light dust before him: seas are his smooth highway, winds and fire his unwearying steeds. Nowhere do you find him without tools. Without tools he is nothing: with tools he is all." Thomas Carlyle

Reply to
Luigi Zanasi

On Sun, 16 Nov 2003 08:31:08 -0500, Tom Watson scribbled

That's ackshally 'brutto stronzo'. It means the baby troll as seen in troll birth pictures (tmGM).

At least you have one redeeming quality (the grappa bit).

Point for Tom.

And if you ever get tired of the total absurdity of life on the fringes of a major urban area, come and visit.

Luigi Replace "no" with "yk" twice in reply address for real email address

"Man is a tool-using animal. Weak in himself and of small stature, he stands on a basis of some half-square foot, has to straddle out his legs lest the very winds supplant him. Nevertheless, he can use tools, can devise tools: with these the granite mountain melts into light dust before him: seas are his smooth highway, winds and fire his unwearying steeds. Nowhere do you find him without tools. Without tools he is nothing: with tools he is all." Thomas Carlyle

Reply to
Luigi Zanasi

Yeah, I agree dat "brutto" is more accurate. I were trying to be ironic but accurate is more better.

And I still know a few of the old guys who make the stuff in drums. If I time it just right, I get to preview the vino when it's aquat, and, if I'm a good boy, I wind up with a gallon or three of the finished stuff around Christmas time.

I don't mind the density, it's the crowds I can't stand.

Have a good Monday, Luigi.

Regards, Tom Thomas J. Watson-Cabinetmaker Gulph Mills, Pennsylvania

Tom Watson