OT: A Message From the Rural Midwest

Page 3 of 4
On Sun, 16 Nov 2003 08:31:08 -0500, Tom Watson

<snip>
That's ackshally 'brutto stronzo'. It means the baby troll as seen in troll birth pictures (tmGM).
<snip>

At least you have one redeeming quality (the grappa bit).

<snip>
And if you ever get tired of the total absurdity of life on the fringes of a major urban area, come and visit.
Luigi Replace "no" with "yk" twice in reply address for real email address
"Man is a tool-using animal. Weak in himself and of small stature, he stands on a basis of some half-square foot, has to straddle out his legs lest the very winds supplant him. Nevertheless, he can use tools, can devise tools: with these the granite mountain melts into light dust before him: seas are his smooth highway, winds and fire his unwearying steeds. Nowhere do you find him without tools. Without tools he is nothing: with tools he is all." Thomas Carlyle

Yeah, I agree dat "brutto" is more accurate. I were trying to be ironic but accurate is more better.

And I still know a few of the old guys who make the stuff in drums. If I time it just right, I get to preview the vino when it's aquat, and, if I'm a good boy, I wind up with a gallon or three of the finished stuff around Christmas time.

I don't mind the density, it's the crowds I can't stand.
Have a good Monday, Luigi.
On Sat, 15 Nov 2003 22:17:36 GMT, Tom Watson

OK, it's time to trade in this kyboard. It's sticking so I'm losing my A and E every once in awhile. I think I'll plug in the spare for a week to see if I can remember why I unplugged it.

I don't "do" either, so stuff 'em in your neighbor's haggis. (another thing I wouldn't consider doing)
----------------------------------------------- I'll apologize for offending someone...right after they apologize for being easily offended. ----------------------------------------------- http://www.diversify.com Inoffensive Web Design
On Sat, 15 Nov 2003 22:17:36 GMT, Tom Watson
snip

snip
Sure,,,but the Scotts perfected it fella...
sort of like the polish inventing the toilet, and three years later the germans puttin a hole in the bottom, , ,
*EG*
Traves
Tom Watson writes:

Mask, what mask? I swept all kinds of dusts for many months into burlap bags, then loaded the dust leaking bags into semis for transport to the dump. Later on, I cut the asbestos boards for fireplace backers, and for framing out wood stove chimney installations...usually with a cigaret in my mouth.
They do tell us pretty close to up front that we ain't gonna get out of this alive. I'm betting on it.

Not too long ago, I walked into a buddy's cabinet shop to find the help spraying contact cement on a very large countertop and the underside of the laminate. I have to say, from the way it hit me coming in, within seconds, I don't really know how those two could even hit the floor with the spray! I opened the overhead door on my way out, but I was afraid to kick on a fan.
Charlie Self "I hope our wisdom will grow with our power, and teach us, that the less we use our power the greater it will be." Thomas Jefferson
Ahhhh. And spring time when the crop duster sprayed out town with DDT to keep the mosquito population down.     mahalo,     jo4hn
Unisaw A100 wrote:

[snip]> Ahhh, the daze of my yout, seeing Russell Bliss out spraying

Actually DDT had a very low toxicity factor for humans. What did it in as a pesticide was a theoretical link to weakened eagle eggs. The supposed link to cancer was very weak and based upon studies that fed extremely high doses to lab mice.
http://www.acsh.org/publications/reports/ddt2002.html
http://www.junkscience.com/foxnews/fn120100.htm
All of which would be of academic interest except for the number of people all over the world dying of malaria because of this ban.

Whoa! You may be correct about weak link to cancer in humans, but the link to thin eggs (not just eagles) is strong, or let me rephrase it is so strong it is indisuptable.
Mark & Juanita wrote:

So, clearly keeping those bird populations strong is worth a few thousand cases of human death from malaria each year. Seems a middle ground that values humans over eagles sould be available.
Dave Hall

DDT wiped out yellow fever in the MS Delta which almost wiped out Memphis earlier in the century. Maybe our chemical companies need to be persuaded to look for better alternatives.
On 20 Nov 2003 03:53:19 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@cs.com (David Hall) wrote:

On Thu, 20 Nov 2003 08:59:35 -0600, Lawrence A. Ramsey

As they have.
Tim Douglass
http://www.DouglassClan.com

When I was a young'un, Grandad worked for the township, before they had a powered grader. They used an *old* International crawler tractor & a towed grader/york rake to maintain the dirt roads. Took most of the Summer to get them all back in decent shape after the Winter snowplow & Spring freeze/thaw ravages. Nahmie
On Sat, 15 Nov 2003 12:13:02 -0500, "Norman D. Crow"
Which one? Ellicot, Busti, Gerry?
LRod
Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite
Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999
http://www.woodbutcher.net

Carroll
Nahmie
On Sat, 15 Nov 2003 12:13:02 -0500, "Norman D. Crow"

Wow, they had OIL back when you were a kid, Nahmie? <gd&wvvf>
We kids used to follow the mosquito fogger truck on LRAFB back in the early 60's despite the fact that they told us to all stay indoors while they fogged. We all lived, I think.
--------------------------------------------------- I drive way too fast to worry about my cholesterol. --------------------------------------------------- http://www.diversify.com Refreshing Graphic Design

"wvvf" ?????????
On Sat, 15 Nov 2003 18:28:34 -0500, "Norman D. Crow"

Walking very, very fast vs. running. I blew out the gutters and cleaned off the roof today, so my knees are sore from the stooping and climbing.
What, you're not even going to comment on the age thing?
----------------------------------------------- I'll apologize for offending someone...right after they apologize for being easily offended. ----------------------------------------------- http://www.diversify.com Inoffensive Web Design
Larry Jaques writes:

What age thing? You're still a kid.
Charlie Self "I hope our wisdom will grow with our power, and teach us, that the less we use our power the greater it will be." Thomas Jefferson

Yes, Virginia, er . . . Larry, there is a Santa, and yes, we had oil then. IIRC, the aforementioned crawler was one o' them cantankerous ol' dual fuel Internationals that you started on gas, then switched to diesel.
Also, thanks to Charlie Self, he answered the "age" comment. Nahmie
Norman D. Crow wrote:

Two engines I suppose, like the heavier John Deere two cylinder tractors like the "R" and "730"?
-- Mark