OT (a little): Which is the english name of...

Hi,
Sorry if the question is a little off topic, but I have limitations with my woodworking-furniture english vocabulary. I need to know which is the english name for the small furniture that you can locate before the sofa, where you can put your feet to rest while looking at TV or reading?
Thanks in advance Faustino
"Footstool" and "ottoman" come to mind. The latter applies only if it's stuffed and upholstered.
...we have "otomana" in spanish...
Thanks a lot Faustino
snipped-for-privacy@clavius.org says...

Woodworking called a "gout stool".
Talk about archaic terminology :-).
--
Where ARE those Iraqi WMDs?

Well, if it is intended for your feet it would be called a foot stool or ottoman. An ottoman is generally larger with padding or upholstery.
Some people like to put their feet on a coffee table, but those are really low tables meant to hold drinks and magazines, etc.
Bill Ranck Blacksburg, Va.
snipped-for-privacy@vt.edu wrote:

And all of SWMBO's girlie crap she never puts away.

In some houses, it's a "coffee table", although your mother keeps telling you to NOT put your feet on it.
coffee table works too but the footstool and ottoman are the correct items you're looking for.
The noun footstool has one meaning:
Meaning #1: a low stool to rest the feet of a seated person Synonyms: footrest, ottoman
ottoman (ot'?-m?n) n., pl. -mans.
1.. 1.. An upholstered sofa or divan without arms or a back. 2.. An upholstered low seat or cushioned footstool.
Compliments of GuruNet..........
Bob S.
Bob S. wrote:

was sort of round with a very coarse velvet-like fabric covering and was stuffed very firmly, thus it was quite heavy and stable.
--
Hitch

-Remove the NOSPAM from my address and you've got SPAM!-
Ahhhhhhh....haaaaaaaaa
hassock (has'?k) n.
1.. A thick cushion used as a footstool or for kneeling. 2.. A dense clump of grass. [Middle English hassok, clump of grass, from Old English hassuc.]
Very good! Completely forgot about that one
Bob S.
Speaking of, didn't the term originate from the Ottoman Empire being known as the footstool to the region, or something like that? Seems I remember somethng about that from school, maaaaaannnnnny years ago.
Bob S. wrote:

"Grandpa" <jsdebooATcomcast.net> wrote in message
| | Speaking of, didn't the term originate from the Ottoman Empire being | known as the footstool to the region, or something like that? Seems I | remember somethng about that from school, maaaaaannnnnny years ago.
Probably not. The original "ottoman" is a couch without a back or armrests. The "Ottoman couch" was just the style of furniture preferred in the region. Not too hard to see how such a piece would be co-opted into being used as a footstool, much as the coffee table today has been co-opted. I'm sure there were plenty of Ottoman mothers reminding their youngsters to keep their feet off the backless couch. Obviously that didn't work.

Sofa tables are typically "behind" the sofa, so I'd say "coffee table". Ottoman, is a possibility I suppose.

It is called a dog. He seems to like it, and it keeps my feet warm.
To get things back on topic, he comes into the workshop, so he may also be known as the bench dog.
Also have a shop cat, but the feet generally go under him.
John Martin