OT - A Little Snow in the Northeast

Page 2 of 2
You a UPer?

George wrote:

Only in spirit. Portage outside of Kalamazoo. NE corner of 94 and 131 where the swamp was. I'm told they built houses there. God knows how, those were deep lakes and lots of artesian springs, like ground level water fountains. Dave in Fairfax
--
reply-to doesn't work
use:

I wish that you hadn't used that term, George.
Many years ago I had a girlfriend who was a Yooper.
This relationship was of such a degree that I went home with her at Christmas one year.
Yoopers are insane.
They live in a climate that ain't fit fer man nor beast and live to make fun of East Coast sissies, such as myself.
That's not the worst of it.
They were only transplant Yoopers.
The following Christmas I went to their actual ancestral home.
Her Dad had grown up in, and had been a hockey coach in, their home town of Bemidji, in the great state of Minnesota.
Oh Lord !
These folks thought of the area that Yoopers lived in to be a great place to go for relief from the winters on the range.
I've never been so cold in my life.
Happily, I married a sensible girl from a Southern State - Pennsylvania.
Yep, one of the joys of the place is that the rigors of the climate keeps the faint-hearted away.
They come for the weekend or the week, drop scads of money, then, thankfully, leave. Unless I have to retrieve their snowmobile-suited remains from one of the local maples (OBWW).

I am NOT going to complain .... afternoon Tempature is now 21 degrees and there is only about 8 inches of snow on the ground... (65 miles from Both Washington DC and Baltimore Md...about 25 miles from Gettysburg Pa)...25 Miles from Leesbug Va....
I am in need of about 50 to 100 BF of plain old Poplar ..have cash..have dealer...what I do not have is a way to get the truck even close to the shop to unload it.... Us OLD 60+ year old guys just can't work like we used to... so I have been kind of goofing off (cleaning and fiddling around) in the shop the last few days....
Spring is in the near future however so there is hope...
Bob Griffiths

Bob S. wrote:

Hmmm, it may snow a few flakes (or rain) tonight but even if it does it'll be history by 8am at the latest tomorrow. I sat outside in a short sleeved shirt yesterday in front of the shop leafing through The Complete Book of Woodworking. It's 42 out now (9pm) and should get down to a chilly 27 tonight - nyuk nyuk nyuk. At last, some humidity in Albuquerque, where it's drier than a popcorn fart.
Have some good friends that live down in Alamogordo now. We both used to live in Great Falls, Montana where in the 1970's it was -40 deg for 30 days... Yes, we survived it and got the T-shirt too...
Bob S.
Grandpa <jsdebooATcomcast.net> writes:

You live in veritable rain forest country compared to eastern California. We get to see some snow on the high peaks but have had snow twice in 20+ years. Temperatue was near 70 yesterday and sunny. Probably won't see any more freezing temps this "winter". I'll soon be back mowing grass...
I grew up in SE South Dakota (Yankton - yep, home of Lyle Alzado, Tom Brokaw, and yr hmbl srvnt). I always said that the only thing between us and the North Pole was one tree in Minot, ND. I remember being in a white out with actual zero visibility. Started out with a couple feet of powder on the ground. Wind was about 40 mph average with gusts to over 100 mph. I had to see what it was like out there (12 year olds are really stupid). Ended up with a swimming mask and snorkel just to breathe. Dad kept moving the family south and west until he hit southern California. Sweet. Now I move back into high country where we have seasons. Must be genetic.     mahalo,     jo4hn
They planted a tree in Minot? Sure it wasn't in the Turtle Mountains (elevation <150' AGL)?
I thing I remember most was sand greens golf, though at the base we water-rationed inhabitants of housing got to watch them pour thousands of gallons onto the greens. They claimed it was reclaimed water from the treatment plant.

George wrote:

I think you mean ASL... AGL is Above Ground Level. An elevation can't be below ground level. :)

I liked how we, with our recent water restrictions, were not allowed to wash our cars, water our gardens, or bathe our dogs, but it was still OK for golf courses to pour 50,000 gallons a minute on their stupid little grass.
They wouldn't even have to use that much water if they weren't using some delicate little pussy grass that can't take a little drought. My yard never got completely brown that year.
Wow, this is taking me back. I guess that was the summer before last. It started snowing in December 2002, and the precipitation has just kept coming ever since. The ground has been completely saturated for over a year now.
Weird weather patterns.
snipped-for-privacy@users.sourceforge.net says...

MSL would be above sea level (mean sea level) AGL is Above Ground level and is a real measure used by pilots to distinguish between altitude above local terrain vs. an absolute level above sea level. For example, a pilot may want to fly at an altitude of 5000 feet above ground level near Denver, thus he would be at 10,000 ft MSL (roughly), while in Florida, he would be flying at 5000 ft MSL as well as AGL. The difference is quite useful for setting up various airborne tests.

says...

be
<snip>
"Useful"? Also very "meaningful" depending on where you're flying.(LOL) 5000' MSL around Denver, you could be in a *helluva* lot of trouble.
--
Nahmie
Those who know the least will always know it the loudest.