OT - A intriguing "open lette"r on health care ...

Page 10 of 10
Larry Blanchard wrote:

Yeah, so efficiently they have thousands on the roles that have been deceased, some for decades (GAO investigation I heard reported not long ago)...
On Sat, 30 May 2009 11:01:05 -0500, dpb wrote:

I don't doubt there's some fraud going on, but unless you can cite the source I doubt it's in the thousands. And I mentioned low overhead which you didn't seem to question.
I wonder if the costs of lowering the fraud rate would exceed the amount that was saved?

I doubt it too. I'd think it is probably in the tens of thousands. Really, I do. Then the ones fraudulently collecting disability is probably triple that number. Read the last line in this .
http://therecordlive.com/article/Beyond_the_County/Beyond_the_County/Brady_working_to_stop_Social_Security_disability_cheats/52994 U.S. Congressman Kevin Brady (R-The Woodlands) met today in Houston with officials from the Social Security Administration ahead of a congressional hearing next week to examine fraud in the federal disability program. Brady, who requested the hearing of the House Ways & Means Subcommittee on Social Security, says scammers may be draining up to $11 billion from the Social Security Disability Insurance Trust Fund that helps more than seven million disabled Americans.
"We have a responsibility to taxpayers and the truly disabled to make sure these precious dollars are not lost to fraud and those trying to game the system," said Brady, a member of the Social Security panel.
Brady met Monday with Patrick O'Carroll Jr., inspector general of the Social Security Administration, and leaders of the Houston Co-operative Disability Investigative (CDI) unit which includes team members from the Social Security Administration, the Inspector General's office, the state disability agency and Harris County law enforcement.
Since the Houston unit was formed in 2000, the team has successfully terminated 1,003 cases, saving taxpayers nearly $90 million. The unit investigates disability fraud in applicants faking impairments as well as those concealing work payments or medical improvements while receiving disability payments.
O'Carroll told the congressman that 14 tax dollars are saved for every dollar Congress allots to investigate disability fraud allegations. The Social Security Administration is required to conduct continuing disability reviews on each case.
In one particularly egregious case from last year, a dead man was actually put in a wheelchair and brought to a check-cashing store in New York so one of his friends could cash his check (Source: Reuters 1/9/08).

Why don't we just buy ourselves a doctor?
Let's say you belong to a builder's association with one hundred members.
Each of the members has been spending $1000.00 per month on family medical insurance.
That creates a theoretical maximum pool of $1,200,000.00 per year.
Let's say an internist earns an average of $200,000.00 per year.
His salary would cost each member $2,000.00 per year.
Since he only has a patient group of four hundred people, he can do his own damned paperwork and he doesn't need an office because with only four hundred patients everything would be a house call.
Alright, if you're gonna bitch about medical equipment and other expenses, let's throw in $50,000.00 a year for that.
So now we have a medical subcontractor at a total cost of $250,000.00 per year divided by one hundred members for a cost of $2500.00 per year. That's $208.33 per month for primary medical care for a family of four.
That leaves $791.67 per month to pay for catastrophic coverage.
At a cost of $3500.00 per year for that coverage that would be another $291.67 per month.
Total cost of primary and catastrophic coverage is about $500.00 per month.
I haven't looked into the cost of buying an actual hospital yet but, what the hell, we're talking about a builder's group. I'm thinking $200.00 per square foot including the Chiwanese medical gear we'll get from Grizzly.
I don't know why my son thinks that math isn't fun.
Regards,
Tom Watson wrote:

That's the best proposal in this thread. I also think that the group participants ought to be able to pick the nurses for their, um, non-medical attributes since these almost certainly enhance healing ...

How "Dr. Strangelove" of you.
--
Dave in Houston

On Mon, 01 Jun 2009 18:32:21 -0500, Tim Daneliuk

Yeah. I was figuring on using Hooter's girls 'cause they already have nice uniforms and the construction guys are used to being around them.
Regards,

I have to comiserate with you for the reasons for the drug Anzemet. I just priced it for my insurance plan through US Healthcare (Medco administered). Anzemet would cost me $100 for a 90 day supply. I am not familiar with the drug (lucky me), so I don't know more.
I guess I am lucky to have a good coverage plan ...
--
Best regards
Han