OT - A intriguing "open lette"r on health care ...

Page 9 of 10

The very simple solution is that the insurance company requires the customer to have regular scheduled check ups on his dime. Kinda like auto insurance companies giving you better rates if you take defensive driving courses and avoid tickets by obeying traffic laws.

Sorry, can't agree with that view. Some people who are not in perfect health even though it may not be their fault, have to pay through the nose. You can be smart, educated and do everything in your power to take care of yourself and still be terribly ill.
Unlike your defensive driving courses where proper driving etiquette can be learned, some people can't avoid the ill health the plagues them.
wrote in message

Totally agreed, and I was not suggesting to filter any one out. I was simply suggesting that the insurance company require every one to have regular "checkups" that they pay for them selves. That this could go a long way in reducing a lot of doctor visits or more expensive treatments later on.. For those that already have a condition the only requirement would be that they also go to have the "regular check up". The fact that they have a preexisting condition or happen to be come ill more often that the average person would have no factor at all. This would be more of a preventative program for those that do and or do not appear to have symptoms. My whole thought process is to prevent ER care for a sore throat because the regular doctor is off for the weekend or doctor visits that are uncalled for.

That may be the unintended result up here in Canada. I don't know what average waiting times are like in the USA, but emergency room visits with triage actions in effect can easily stretch into hours upon hours of waiting time to get treated. Anyone who has gone through it even once won't visit an emergency room for a relatively minor complaint.
I remember once having an allergic reaction to something. (Never did find out what it was) In any event, I had red spots all over me and the itching everywhere was driving me crazy. Went down to the emergency room at 1:00 am in the morning. 7:00 am, I'm still waiting for treatment and still itching like crazy. I gave up and rolled over to another hospital about 20 minutes away. I was treated within 30 minutes. I've been in pain before, but it just doesn't compare to that itching episode.
"Leon" wrote:

You have just eliminated that portion of the population that can least afford to pay for health care in the first place which will definitely include the full time minimum wage worker.
Providing health care to those who can least afford to pay for it is just another way of subsidizing the hidden costs of the minimum wage.
"Pay me now or pay me later" applies.
Lew

Well you have to start some where and I would just have to call it tough love. If you eleminate the insurance industry death grip on the family practitioner the medical costs would be much more affordable. Paying the way for non citizens is part of the big problem. It all snow balls.
There are many free clinics that could perform the check up. For a normal check up a person does not need red carpet service if he cannot afford to pay, especially if it lowers costs.
"Leon" wrote:

Who funds the "Free" clinics?
I will submit that more often than not, the E/R becomes the "Free Clinic".
Lew

I don't know, whom ever is doing it now. There are free clinics available, you just have to look for them.

Leon wrote:

Think of it as a co-op paying wholesale rather than retail.

The company I work for last year offered three different plans.
The first plan was their "Basic Medical Plan". The company paid 100% of the premium. You had to designate a primary physician and the only way you could see a different doctor was through a referral by the primary. There was a $25 co-payment per office visit and very few doctors in my area accepted the plan. None of the doctors we've used for years accepted the plan.
The second offering was an HMO where I paid a small portion of the premium and all medical treatment had to be done by the single designated facility. The office was about 20 miles from my home and I'd never heard of any of the doctors on the staff.
The third plan required me to pay a much higher portion of the monthly premium. The out of pocket premium would cost me about $80 per month for myself and my wife. Any doctor I looked for in the list of participating doctors accepted the plan. I did not have to designate a primary physician and could see any doctor of my choice at any time. Office visits had a $10 co-payment.
I chose the third plan.
--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA
wrote in message

That is exactly how I think of it. The insurance company is paying wholesale to the doctor, I pay way above retail for that insurance.

And your share is a drop in the bucket compared to what the company cost was. My wife works for the state of Texas and they get very favorable rates, her insurance is similar to the one you chose and her share of the premium is $0. For myself and our son our share of the premium is 1/2, $380 per month. Several years ago the average expense for a company was around $900 per month to cover an employee with insurance.
On Fri, 29 May 2009 18:03:59 -0500, Swingman wrote:

Someone has a lot of faith in people acting responsibly. It'll never happen. And what happens to the health needs of children of irresponsible parents?
Make the HSAs mandatory, deducted from earnings, and the plan has a pretty good chance of working.

Larry Blanchard wrote:

Just what we need, more government micromanagement.
On Fri, 29 May 2009 18:39:56 -0500, Larry Blanchard

Analogous to Social Security/Medicare deductions? (No judgment implied or intended)
Many employers now offer optional "before tax" deductions to medical deposit accounts that are limited to payments for health care. The only one I'm familiar with had a "Use it this year, or it's gone forever" clause and too many "if, ands, and buts" about it to be very attractive to me. It was primarily intended to cover deductibles and other expenses beyond the group health insurance coverage.
Sounds like a revamping of plans such as those could come pretty close to the "open letter" suggestion.
Tom Veatch Wichita, KS USA

The "Right" thinks that the "Left" can learn this responsibility.

The "right" more often than not, is wrong.

Yeah, you are probably right, the left should be handled by the government and the right should take care if it self with out having to help the government take care of the left.
"Swingman" wrote:
<snip Lawrence E. Mallette, MD, PhD, FACP, FACN plan>
"This plan relies on human nature to reduce costs"
There in lies the fallacy of the plan.
Lew

I recall a company that wanted to reduce their expenses for sales and service people with expense accounts. They had company credit cards and cell phones.
They took away the company cards and phones and instead, had them use there personal cards and phone, but also paid their entire phone bill, not just the company portion, and gave them some extra on other expenses. Once the people handled the money themselves, saw the bills, saw the waste, they reduced the overall expenses considerably.
I may work.

uvula (the thingy hanging down in the back from the roof of your mouth - it caused excessive snoring). The ENT said I needed Vioxx for pain relief (that's how long ago). I asked why not Celebrex, and he said Vioxx is better. End of discussion. Is that how you will be negotiating prices?
--
Best regards
Han
On Sat, 30 May 2009 08:02:12 -0700, cm wrote:

But yet the SSA administers Social Security with an almost negligible amount of overhead. A government program can work efficently, but the devil is in the details.
For example, Medicare offers way too many opportunities for fraud just because of the way it is structured and administered. And the fraud is coming from the private sector part (i.e. patients, doctors, hospitals, and insurance companies) not the government part.