OT: A Bandsaw and a Keyboard

Page 1 of 2
Greetings! I have been too busy to spend time in the wreck but here is a link I think some of you may appreciate. ;-)
http://tlb.org/keyboardchop.html
-- Mark

Geez. He might as well have cut the cord to the computer also. I would have a very hard time drawing with out a keypad.

Leon wrote:

What software are you using that makes good use of the keypad?
-- Mark
Mark Jerde wrote:

In the MS-DOS era programs tended to make good use of function and special keys. In WinDoze few programs do. It's extremely rare to be able to control a WinDoze program via simple simple scripting such as a .BAT file.
Of the gazillion Windows programs installed on my 7 computers at home, the only one I can think of that makes special use of the keypad is Quicken (2002?) and that's only the keypad "+" and "-" for incrementing and decrementing dates.
-- Mark

So do you not use the 10 key pad? I think clicking the mouse on the little drop down calculator in Quicken or using the numbers across the top would be a PIA and would make the entry Slooooow. Spread sheet data entry would be a PIA also. Or data entry in Sheet Layout or Cutlist Plus would be a PIA with out the keypad. Or data entry in Fund Manager would be a PIA without a key pad. Geez lets go ahead and throw in TurboTax. And again, AutoCAD would be a PIA with out the 10 key pad. Wow lets go ahead and throw in the Calculator too. I would HATE to be restricted by the number keys across the top when using the calculator. Do you feel you are hunting pecker when using the 10 key pad? :~)
You know you could also use the Windows on screen Keyboard and click on the buttons but that would be a PIA also. Which programs do you use that work easier and let you enter data faster by using the number keys across the top?
Leon wrote:

In 1975 I was one of two boys in the high school typing class. I learned to touch type the number row pretty well. Unless I'm typing something like this const pi = 3.141592653589793238462643383279502884 I just use the keys conveniently placed above my fingers in the normal typing position. ;-)
-- Mark

business for most of my professional life I entered part numbers all day long for years.
In 1976 I started high school and the rumor in the freshman football team was that the varsity coach taught the typing class and it was an easy A. So we all signed up. What we didn't realize was that varsity football coaches are way to busy to teach a typing class. They have teachers assistants who don't like football players looking for easy As, to teach typing. We actually had to learn to type! I thought it was an complete waste of time. Then 4 years later I get into electronics and suddenly I'm on of the few guys who can type on a computer. Turned out to be a good thing, hahahhaha.

AutoCAD LT

Leon wrote:

Ok.
-- Mark

Like you, I want to move my hand as little as possible from the key pad to the track ball.

Mark Jerde wrote:

Excel and Quicken.
Barry
B a r r y wrote:

Ok. ;-) I can usually have the number mostly touch typed in before I'd get my hand repositioned on the keypad. But if it was quicker to use the keypad I would.
-- Mark
P.S. I type 70+ WPM and 25-30 WPM on numbers. I shared an office this summer with one of those 20-something web-designer wiz kids. He averaged at least 120 WPM for normal typing and at least 80 WPM for special keys and numbers. He typed raw HTML faster than I can type "Now is the time for all good men..." And I'm better than a lot of secretaries I worked with. ;-) Humbling. !*@@#$%# kids!
kids!

On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 03:04:28 GMT, "Mark Jerde"

When I was in school I had a friend whose mother was a civil service secretary. She could type over 120 WPM corrected - on a manual typewriter!
I used to do 90+ when I was programming, but that was a long time ago and I have arthritis problems in my fingers now, so it is a *lot* slower.
Besides, I don't think fast enough to type at that speed.
Tim Douglass
http://www.DouglassClan.com
Mark Jerde wrote:

Like any tool, the 10 key appears useless to anyone who doesn't know how to use it.
A.M. Wood wrote:

Aye, but what if you don't need it? <g> In college I had a job entering cloud particle sizes into a database from microfiche filmed in real time by planes flying through rain clouds. I got *really* fast on a 10-key. (Why in the h*ll Ma Bell decided phone keys should be the opposite is beyond me!) But that was 25 years ago. The majority of my income since then has come from writing software. The keypad on the keyboards has been less useful than anything the Handyman club of America has sent. It's just 4 more inches I have to reach to get to the mouse.
I'm thinking of getting one of these to get the keypad entirely out of the way. http://www.sforh.com/keyboards/comfort-ergoflex.html (I'd still like the "jkl;" pad to have the cursor keys, though.)
-- Mark
Mark,
That's an easy one. They had to make it different to keep 10 wizs from out dialing the DTMF receivers. DTMF tones must be minimum 50ms on and 50ms off to meet spec for the receivers. A 10 key operator can dial way faster than that, but their calls wouldn't go through.
No the bigger quiz is why are the area codes layed out the way they are? What is the pattern?
Bernie
Snip

http://www.wiskit.com/marilyn/areacodes.html
Area codes were designed in 1940's, with dial phones which used pulses. Each pulse was a fixed duration. When you dialed, those pulses caused relays to click into place as the purses were sent through the lines.
the digit "1" was shortest and 0 was longest.
In those days, area codes either had a 0 or 1 in the second digit.
So the busiest codes were shortest in number of pulses.
Area Code "Clicks" to dial
New York City 212 5 Los Angeles 213 6 Chicago 312 6 Detroit 313 7 Dallas 214 7 Pittsburgh 412 7 [snip] Montana 406 20 Wyoming 307 20 Idaho 208 20 Vermont 802 20 South Carolina 803 21 Eastern Washington 509 24 Alaska 907 26 Hawaii 808 26