OT - $4/gal Gas Threshold Crossed - Dam Breaking

Page 1 of 5
Granted this is California, and the San Francisco Bay Area at that, but earlier last week "regular" was $3.999 (who has a $0.009 coin?). by Thursday it was $4.039. Six days later (today) it's $4.249.
Once the $4 /gallon threshold was crossed the dam weakened and now is collapsing - and we're still in May. Can't wait to see what The Summer Driving Season is gonna do to prices.
A ray of hope - CAFE standards were FINALLY increased - after only 30 years and "pre-owned" Hummers, Huged Sport Utes and BIG Tire Monster Trucks are taking over what was formerly known as Used Car Lots space - in abundance.
Attention: General Motors, Ford, Chrysler NOW do you get IT!?
charlie b
who appreciates my little white Miata more and more each day. Lot nicer looking than the Prius - and a hell of a lot more fun to drive.

As Stacey David says, "...but it's a GIRL's car..."
--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Bah! That's nothing. Here in Montreal the price is at $1.42/L (142.4 cents) per liter. That translates to $5.29 per US gal (ignoring the currently small currency exchange rate).
On Wed, 28 May 2008 15:33:58 -0400, Greg Neill wrote:

Ha. If you want a gassing contest ours is currently £1.25/litre (124.9p/ l) which is US$9.37/US gallon.
Come back when your gas has *doubled* in price and then you can complain :-(

It *has* doubled in price. Two years ago, it was around $2.00 a gallon.
Puckdropper

On Wed, 28 May 2008 20:23:58 +0000, Puckdropper wrote:

Not quite that quickly here, but that's only because the tax (and the tax on the tax) hasn't gone up as quickly as the underlying oil costs..
The dear gubmint are still planning to put 2p/litre on in the Autumn to 'discourage unnecessary use' though(!)

At least you get BBC without having to buy an expensive package...
I hate TV, but absolutely *love* "Top Gear", with Clarkson, May, and Hamster!
On Wed, 28 May 2008 18:54:49 -0400, B A R R Y wrote:

Not quite. *Everybody* with a TV in the UK has to pay the 'TV Licence' for £130ish ($250) a year, even if they never watch the BBC. That's what pays for the BBC...

I didn't know that...
I'm always impressed by the production value of the "Top Gear" film segments. Now I know where the budget comes from.
On Thu, 29 May 2008 20:37:33 -0400, B A R R Y wrote:

Yeah. Me. 8^(

If it makes you feel any better, THANKS! <G>
Bah! That's nothing. Here in Montreal the price is at $1.42/L (142.4 cents) per liter. That translates to $5.29 per US gal (ignoring the currently small currency exchange rate).
Bah! That's nothing. Gasoline in the UK has reached $10.65 (US) a gallon and that's certainly not the most expensive in Europe. Consider yourself lucky.
Upscale coughed up some electrons that declared:

I make it US$8.64 based on 115.2 pence/litre in mid Kent, SE England. Remember US gallon != Imperial gallon[1]
Now, diesel - that is expensive at 127 pence/litre - I nearly had a heart attack today filling up for the first time in 2 months. Good job my vehicle gets just over 50mpg...
Still, original point still stands... I remember my old man whining when petrol topped one pound per imperial gallon... Feck, that was long time ago...
Cheers
Tim
[1] I got half way to the bottom of this anomoly the other days. Seems our respective fluid-ounces are more or less the same (within a few percent), but USians have 16 fl oz/pint and we, for some reason have 20. Everything else scales from there. If anyone knows why, I'd be interested to hear it.

Because back just prior to the upstarts going thier own way, George III parliment had to increase taxes to support the wars with France, holland and Prussia. They chose to increase tax on beer - but because that would go down too well they then decided to reduce the SIZE of the glass and so US pints are 16oz and UK remained the imperial 20oz. Quarts, gallons and so on are 20% smaller in the US..
After living here of 15 yrs it still feels strange to pick up a small pint.
Jerry coughed up some electrons that declared:

Fascinating, ta.
Just goes to show that our (British) current government doesn't own the monopoly on devious tax fiddling scams.
:-O

Back when I was a little younger, my old man flipped when he got five gallons (US) and the attendant asked for $1.05. The week before, five gallons had been a buck, and you still got the same service--oil check, belt check, windshield and rear window washed. We're in one of the cheapest areas in the U.S., and this morning, I paid $3.78.9, down 11 cents since the driving holiday. It's astonishing how that happens. There's some excuse for a run-up before EVERY major driving holiday in this country. Of course, it goes up a quarter and comes down a dime, but, hey, that's bidness fer you. Someone has to get screwed, while being told he's what's wrong with the world. AKA, Joe Consumer.
"Charlie Self" wrote:

The power of the purse is still supreme.
Lew
Lew Hodgett wrote:

You got gas in that purse - supreme or even just regular?
"charlieb" wrote:

Actually, it's an old sow's ear<G>.
Lew
Lew Hodgett wrote:

Speaking of gas and silk purses and sows ears and the like I felt like Elliot Ness for a while today--I had occasion to chase down a '30s 16-cylinder Cadillac. Guy had left his gas cap off and every time he went around a corner it spilled several bucks worth of gas on the road. I figured he'd want to know.
Incidentally, the pictures don't do that car justice, and neither do museum displays.
--John