OT: 3 most disgusting TV 'personalities'

Page 3 of 3
I am a little surprised there are that many folks I haven't heard of that are mentioned. Talk about feeling like a neanderthal, my TV went out a month ago and I just replaced it today.
Much to the chagrin of those around me, I have never had cable, satellite, or any other devices; just over the air transmissions. I have always felt like it was unecessary to pay for 100 - 200 channels of crap and reruns. I do have someone that tapes the oldies on TMC for me.
And magically, almost every PBS documentary is re-edited, and sometimes redubbed and shown on the History or Discovery channel a year or so after its debut on PBS, just 20 to 40 minutes shorter. Seeing Ken Burn's masterpiece on building the Brooklyn Bridge hacked up and shown on the History channel was disgusting.
And now, the TV I just put in the livingroom in getting all local TV stations in HD, free, with the HD antenna costing less than half a month's cable bill, I still wonder why people pay for that stuff. Especially to watch people and shows that piss them off.
Probably wouldn't have even posted on this thread except the HD works so well at no cost...
Just my 0.02 anyway.
Robert
[...]

Probably my next step. First to go, TV satellite. We almost never watch anything but the local news. Next to go, this goddamned Internet satellite and its lost signal in rain, wind, or farts within half a mile. As soon as the contracts are up. And if I have to go back to dial up, so be it. At least if I'm knocked offline for 19 hours a day once a week, I'll be able to call the phone company and fuss. With these idiots, the stock answer is, "Wait a half hour and try again." Better for downloads, just as big a PITA as AOL otherwise.
SNIP

If you have phone, you may have DSL access. I have DSL, and in our area it works quite well. To get cable internet access from our local crap provider (Time Warner - rated the worst cable network in the US) you must have at least basic cable ($38 plus tax for channels 3 - 76) and then internet "lite" is another $39, plus tax. My DSL speed is not the fast one, but their version is another $10 on top of that, so It puts you right at $90 plus change.
Yeah, right. No small wonder they are rated so poorly.
My DSL service is added to the phone which I already had, and since it is self install there is no installation fee and no equipment fee. You do have to sign a two year contract, but they also have a 30 day money back option. The cost for DSL is $23 a month, and when you are out of your contract period, you go month to month.
The one time I needed service tech help, they came out on a Saturday, within 48 hours of my call.
Not all DSL is the same, so YMMV. Just a thought.
Robert

Unfortunately, the wonderful Verizon brags on their damned fiber optic and DSL systems and availability, until you call to ask. When we moved back here, they told my wife DSL would be available in six months. That was three years ago this past June.
Cable got within about eight miles, and the trucks seemed to disappear.
Satellite and dial-up are it, and you would be wise to spell "it" with an "sh".
Charlie Self wrote:
... snip

We were finally able to get DSL. What a difference! Know exactly what you are saying regarding satellite internet. It is good if it is the only thing you can get; it is better than dial-up, but just barely. However, if you hit the download limit, it winds up being worse than dial-up because they throttle the speed down to below what you would get with dial-up. I could have never gone to linux on my computer (at least not via the internet) because I could never download the code without getting timed out.

Must not be using the same satellite company we used. You were able to understand what they were saying. I just got "we're sorry you are having problems, have you ...." followed by a lot of comments in barely intelligible English from an off-shored help desk reading through a script that included the obligatory, "is it plugged in?" type questions. I will say that they were really good at apologizing. Couldn't do anything to fix problems, but they were always sorry and politely apologetic.

On Fri, 12 Oct 2007 21:57:05 -0000, Charlie Self

Stop farting on the dish! <G>

I have HD Satellite, DirecTV and I got satellite 7 or so years ago only because it was the cheapest way to get a good signal. In Houston, there are probably 12 stations and with each station having 2 to 4 extra stations the count gets close to 35 -40 free digital stations.
Still, I cannot receive all the main major stations and oddly, of those that I can get I cannot get all of their extra stations.
Then there is the DVR thing that qualifies it all for me. I would not watch TV at all If I had to watch it when it aired. It is easier to watch 3 hours of programming in 2 hours by skipping through the commercials.

I wouldn't have believed that the HD stations would come in as clear as they have. One of the keys is the antennae, which is powered, not passive, and the location of the broadcast points for the HD signal. If you are interested in finding out, go to
http://www.antennaweb.org
and check out the locations. They will calculate the latitude, longitude, etc. down the seconds to help you tune your antennae. For example, my direction to get all the free broadcast HS channels is (quite luckily) 129.5 degrees from magnetic north. This site will tell you distance and direction to the broadcast tower. It is wayyy too cool to be free. But it is.

TV at all If I had to watch it when it aired. It is easier to watch >3 hours of programming in 2 hours by skipping through the >commercials.
My man, I couldn't agree more. If LOML didn't dvr them, I wouldn't watch. I would be down to PBS, and that would probably be that. Even if I miss them now, if I think of it, almost all the broadcasts have replays on their internet sites, so you can watch your favorite show anytime with extrememly limited commercial interruption.
Robert
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:
,, sbuo

The only thing we watch for the most part is the satellite channels. The alphabet channels just don't do it; all the same liberal morality plays for entertainment and the same biased reporting for news.

sorry folks didn't mean to crap in anybody's hard hat on the shaffer issue, but i'm not talking about musical talent, i'm talking about his repulsive behavior with his attempt to simulate a laugh by going ahhh. sounds like the doc's got the tounge depresser in his mouth. also his inabilaty to vocalize although he tries. he's always trying to stroke his cool and it seems so fake. maybe he has some talent but he should keep it there. a beautiful woman lacking modesty and discrete is like a fine gold ring though a pigs nose
On Oct 12, 9:23 pm, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (Ross Hebeisen) wrote: snipped

That is his 'schtick'. Groucho had a 'schtick'.
What he is, is a superb musician. What you see, is his 'Schtick.
If you don't like it, I suggest you get over it. If the captain on your next flight has a moustache, and you don't like it, I also suggest you get over it.
Ali always talked how beutiful he was...what he was in reality, was the damned best boxer ever.