OT: $10 Roof Rack Cross Bars w/ some wRec

I may need some extra cargo room when I move my daughter next weekend, so I bought one of those soft car top bags just in case. It requires cross bars for the roof rack. I didn't want to spend ~$90 on aftermarket cross bars or (worse yet) ~$160 for OEM, so I made my own for under $10.
http://i440.photobucket.com/albums/qq121/DerbyDad03/20150802_131120_zpsijfqno2v.jpeg
I flattened the ends 3/4" EMT conduit to fit snugly into the track and then used a nut and bolt fore and aft to prevent them from moving frontwards or backwards.
http://i440.photobucket.com/albums/qq121/DerbyDad03/20150802_134558_zpsgwksegiw.jpeg
I had the nuts and bolts, so all I needed was the conduit ($3.50) and the PlastiDip spray. ($6.00)
Requisite woodworking relate:
I flattened one end of the conduit in a vise and then made a jig to hold the flattened end vertical so that the other end would be perfectly parallel when I put it in the vise.
Yes, I know the front bar is pretty close to the roof, but the cargo bag straps will be pulling up on it, so it won't be a problem. I'll have a moving pad under everything, including the bars, anyway.
On 8/5/15 9:57 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Probably stronger than any of the aftermarket racks. Nice work.
--

-MIKE-

On 8/6/2015 10:29 AM, -MIKE- wrote:

With out a doubt better.
And I thought that current modern roof top racks, like current spoilers, were added to enhance the visual beauty of the vehicle, not add function. ;~)