OT: +1 for Amazon Service, and then some

Yes, that is obviously a better antenna. I read about antennas for 2 days before I bought the RCA one for $10.99. A roof-top antenna is in another category--offer a better "line-of_sight" (I think that's the right word) to the source of the signal.

Reply to
Bill

Swingman has one, and I am probably going to get one, IIRC the mud flap technology antenna. Looks like a large mouse pad that you hang one the wall behind a picture or TV. My current, electricity amplified, HD antenna works great except for the fact that out of the 60+ over the air stations that we get in Houston only 2 channels are in English. ;~(

Reply to
Leon

"Leon" wrote

Well, the solution is obvious. Just learn spanish! ;)

Reply to
Lee Michaels

Es-span-yo, Korean, Chinese, what ever Hagee speaks. ;~)

Reply to
Leon

I'd be interested in knowing whether that works better than the rabbit ears. My impression was the it would have a much harder time picking up VHF, but that it offers (obvious) cosmetic advantages.

Reply to
Bill

We never watch OTA television any longer, but when we did, we found that with the switch to digital broadcasting, the picture quality was outstanding in our location compared to what we'd endured for the entire time we have lived here.

60-65 air miles from the City of Chicago, even with a hi-gain antenna with a powered booster, amplified distribution and a 40' tower with rotor, quality of reception was generally mediocre at best.

When they flipped the switch and got rid of the analog signal it was great.

You may be surprised.

Reply to
Unquestionably Confused

Can't believe this thread.

Mohu leaf antenna.

Think it was about $35, and I get 1080p HD OTA in Houston, much better picture than cable since there is no signal compression.

I have Apple TV in Houston, just bought a Roku box for the lake house TV yesterday, and was actually heading to Best Buy in Hot Springs this morning to buy another Mohu leaf to see how/if it works here.

Only thing I miss with no cable here at the lake house is a live news feed. Streaming Aljazera and SkyNews just don't cut it.

Reply to
Swingman

My understanding has been that since broadcast TV went digital, ALL the channels are using UHF frequencies, except for a very few low power analog community stations.

I could be wrong...

Reply to
Larry Kraus

There were two VHF TV bands in the US: VHF-low (50-54, 76-88 -- channels 2-6) and VHF-high (174-216MHz -- channels 7-13).

The VHF-high band (channels 7-13) are still in use by digital TV.

There was a transition period when the existing VHF-high stations were transmitting analog on their traditional VHF-high frequency and digital on a _temporary_ UHF frequency. After the transition period expired, they generally shut down the temporary UHF transmitters and transmitted digital on their old VHF-high channel. Here in Minneapolis/Saint Paul, KMSP is still on channel 9 and KARE is still on channel 11, just like they used to be.

So, depending on where you live, you may need to pick an antenna that handles both UHF and VHF-high.

Reply to
Grant Edwards

FWIW, as I commented above.

Mohu Leaf Paper-Thin Indoor HDTV Antenna - Made in USA

Designed and Manufactured in USA with a 1-year Limited Warranty The Original Paper-Thin Indoor antenna Based on discrete mudflap antenna designed for the U.S. Military Reversible and paintable to match decor

30-mile range, includes 10 ft. High Performance Cable

Reply to
Leon

---------------------------------------------- What's the price of a 25 ft coil of 300 ohm twin lead these days.

Built a folded dipole antenna using twin lead over 20 years ago for about $2.00.

Can't be more than $7-$9 today.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

That's fine for a single, narrow band. If it has to cover both UHF and VHF-high, it's going to suck compared to something designed for a broader response.

Reply to
Grant Edwards

Grant Edwards wrote in news:ltq1j4$lcg$1 @reader1.panix.com:

Can you simply attach multiple lengths of dipole to your down lead?

I know the folded dipole antenna is super sensitive (even the location of the down lead affected my picture), but if it's as simple as cutting and twisting a bit more wire, why not?

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

No. The impedances will be mismatched.

It's not that simple. There are impedance matching problems and other interactions between the elements that you have to worry about.

Antenna design is a very tricky business, and once you get beyond a dipole or a 1/4 wave whip, things get very complicated very quickly (especially if you want it to work on multiple bands).

A couple good places to start would be

Grant Edwards

The Mohu leaf antenna does not work at all in this narrow valley, which is what I expected, but considered worth a try since I wasn't sure of the exact location of the transmitting towers.

Do indeed like the Roku though. For the way we consume TV, and with a good broadband connection, there is not much need for anything else.

Reply to
Swingman

If It does not work, bring it home and let me try it. If it works for me I'll buy it from you "if" you want to get rid of it.

Reply to
Leon

It's yours. Happy Birthday!

Reply to
Swingman

Now it is not going to be a surprise. ;~( LOL

Reply to
Leon