OT: +1 for Amazon Service, and then some

Page 2 of 2

FWIW, as I commented above.
Mohu Leaf Paper-Thin Indoor HDTV Antenna - Made in USA
Designed and Manufactured in USA with a 1-year Limited Warranty The Original Paper-Thin Indoor antenna Based on discrete mudflap antenna designed for the U.S. Military Reversible and paintable to match decor 30-mile range, includes 10 ft. High Performance Cable

Leon wrote:

---------------------------------------------- What's the price of a 25 ft coil of 300 ohm twin lead these days.
Built a folded dipole antenna using twin lead over 20 years ago for about $2.00.
Can't be more than $7-$9 today.
Lew

That's fine for a single, narrow band. If it has to cover both UHF and VHF-high, it's going to suck compared to something designed for a broader response.
--
Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards Yow! I guess it was all a
at DREAM ... or an episode of

Can you simply attach multiple lengths of dipole to your down lead?
I know the folded dipole antenna is super sensitive (even the location of the down lead affected my picture), but if it's as simple as cutting and twisting a bit more wire, why not?
Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.

On 2014-08-29, Puckdropper <puckdropper> wrote:

No. The impedances will be mismatched.

It's not that simple. There are impedance matching problems and other interactions between the elements that you have to worry about.
Antenna design is a very tricky business, and once you get beyond a dipole or a 1/4 wave whip, things get very complicated very quickly (especially if you want it to work on multiple bands).
A couple good places to start would be
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antenna_%28radio%29 http://www.arrl.org/arrl-handbook-2014
--
Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards Yow! In Newark the
at laundromats are open 24
On 8/28/2014 9:12 AM, Swingman wrote:

The Mohu leaf antenna does not work at all in this narrow valley, which is what I expected, but considered worth a try since I wasn't sure of the exact location of the transmitting towers.
Do indeed like the Roku though. For the way we consume TV, and with a good broadband connection, there is not much need for anything else.
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
On 8/30/2014 11:08 AM, Swingman wrote:

If It does not work, bring it home and let me try it. If it works for me I'll buy it from you "if" you want to get rid of it.
On 8/30/2014 12:35 PM, Leon wrote:

It's yours. Happy Birthday!
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
On 8/30/2014 2:37 PM, Swingman wrote:

Now it is not going to be a surprise. ;~( LOL
Sonny wrote:

I agree about Amazon. A couple of months ago I ordered a printer and it wasn't satisfactory. I printed out the return label and took the box to UPS to be returned. Their email said I would get my refund when it arrived at their receiving warehouse. 6 hours after shipping it I got my refund to the credit card. I guess they received the tracking notice and went ahead and processed the refund.
Another time they sent the wrong sized lithium batteries with a flashlight. They said reorder it, specify 2 day shipping and they would credit me for the order including the shipping. As for the batteries they had sent, they said use them if I could, donate them or throw them away--they didn't want them sent back.
--
 GW Ross

 Find out what you can't do and don't
On 08/24/2014 10:43 AM, Sonny wrote:
...[long story of satisfaction w/ shipping snafu resolution snipped solely for brevity]...
OTOH, I've had a set of replacement carbide knives for the planer ordered for over two years without them being delivered -- the promised ship date comes and goes; get e-mail asking if still want them to which I faithfully continue to respond "yes, of course, or I wouldn't have ordered them!" and the subsequent date also comes and goes...
At this point it's just a game to see if it ever will be taken care of...requests have gone into never-never land...
Their "affiliates" idea isn't the same as the real thing was imo altho I've never lost any real money as they card charge was to be when shipped so haven't been out of pocket, just had to go elsewhere to actually get a set of knives.
On 8/24/2014 12:03 PM, dpb wrote:

I feel your pain<g>
It's frustrating when it happens but it would seem that Amazon (and others) go out of their way to keep you "in the loop" and allow you the option to hang in there or bail on the deal.
As you say, they haven't charged your CC until they ship so...
Just went through a similar deal with an otherwise great supplier. Needed replacement blades for a commercial sized mower. Nobody seemed to have them at a decent price but this one outfit. They usually have it together and ship with delivery in 2-3 days.
This time they almost immediately notified me that the blades were out of stock and "in production" at the manufacturer, estimated... etc."
Took a month to get them but in the same time frame no one else seemed to have them either. If they aren't made and sitting around, you ain't gonna get them. Not Amazon's fault nor the dealer I was going through.
Ca-ca happens<g>
On 08/24/2014 1:11 PM, Unquestionably Confused wrote: ...

But they _are_ made and _are/were_ in stock elsewhere -- only this vendor chooses to not deliver on the advertised price (and Amazon doesn't do anything to call their hand is my beef w/ Amazon).

dpb wrote:

I complimented Amazon on their TV delivery, but it is true that they don't police their sellers very well. I ordered some printer toner, only to be emailed 2 days later that the seller didn't have the brand I ordered, but would I like them to send the generic brand one they did have. I said no just on principle. I also phoned Amazon about it, and they didn't seem to know what to do with the information I was providing them. I told them, I'm trying to help you police your sellers. I was told they would make a record of my call. So I guess, after all that, what happened to me shouldn't happen to anyone else! : ) Glad to help!
On Sun, 24 Aug 2014 13:11:53 -0500, Unquestionably Confused

Inventory is a thing of the past. I got in an accident on vacation about six weeks ago. They couldn't get replacement seat covers for the car (air bags ripped them apart) for over a month. They finally got them Friday but it may be a couple of weeks before I can get the car (gotta fly back up to Vermont to fetch the car, too). Wife is not happy driving a rental POS. I sure hope they cover it for the entire time.
On Mon, 25 Aug 2014 12:49:37 -0400, krw wrote:

Sure better than the other way around :-).
On Mon, 25 Aug 2014 23:16:50 +0000 (UTC), Larry Blanchard

Yeah, I wouldn't want people with a lot of money working for me! Unfortunately, my boss doesn't either. ;-)

There were two VHF TV bands in the US: VHF-low (50-54, 76-88 -- channels 2-6) and VHF-high (174-216MHz -- channels 7-13).
The VHF-high band (channels 7-13) are still in use by digital TV.
There was a transition period when the existing VHF-high stations were transmitting analog on their traditional VHF-high frequency and digital on a _temporary_ UHF frequency. After the transition period expired, they generally shut down the temporary UHF transmitters and transmitted digital on their old VHF-high channel. Here in Minneapolis/Saint Paul, KMSP is still on channel 9 and KARE is still on channel 11, just like they used to be.
So, depending on where you live, you may need to pick an antenna that handles both UHF and VHF-high.
--
Grant