OSS

I finally need an oscillating spindle sander. I am thinking this afternoon of going to HD and buying the Ridgid for $200. The belt sander part is appealing because I have a 4x24 already and will have the belts. Any body have comments on this model? I owned the Powermatic/Jet one which worked well but there is a design flaw in the gearing and the parts fail rapidly. It also costs twice as much. max

Reply to
max

I've owned one for about 2 years. The dust collection is pretty worthless and it feels cheap; but it works and has held up. Overall I would say it was a good value, as long as you are realistic.

Reply to
toller

I've had mine for about 3 or 4 years. While not as good as a big cast iron top model that cost twice as much, it is a great tool for the home shop. I don't know of a project where I've not used it for something. Ed

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

A google search may be more helpful. There have been many discussions about this particular model sander and almost all owners are happy or eventually happy with it. I do not own one but am considering a spindle sander also. From the last 3 or 4 years of posts about the Ridgid sander there seems to be about a 40 percent chance that it will not have a table that is perpendicular to the spindle. Seems getting one set up correctly is not a certainty. But again, most all owners are happy and pleased with the unit even if they have to exchange or tweak the unit.

Reply to
Leon

Reply to
nospam_coloradotrout

Picked up two from HD on Wed, but it is a discontinued item, so slim pickings. Ask at the service desk, and they can check stock at local stores (although one local store here that showed 12 on the computer had none actually there--nice inventory control!).

Reply to
alexy

I have had the Rigid for a couple of years now and have had no problems with it. It doesn't get used daily but is used with most every project. I always think I need a larger sander but in the end, this one will do the job for me. Mike

Reply to
Mike Myers

Yeah, and I put 15,000 bf of ipe through mine and burned it right up. What a worthless piece of junk!

(This was humor people. Ha hah. Humor. Funny. Get it?)

Reply to
Silvan