Oscillating Spindle Sander

Hi Am in the market for an Oscillating Spinder Sander Does anyone have any advice. Delta, Jet, Ridgid and of course the cadillac Clayton which is too rich for my blood Home Depot appears to be closing out the Ridgid..maybe some better deals. Thanks Pat

Reply to
Pat & Maryann Dwan

I have bought the Delta based on favourable magazine reviews. Very quiet and solid performer.

Reply to
ks

I checked out and really liked the Jet model It was around $900 in my area.

I will be watching this thread as I, too, and look for a sturdy spindle sander.

-Mark

Reply to
Mark Rance

I bought a Delta BOSS last year. Absolutely delighted with it. It's quiet, removes stock quickly (but not too quickly) and smoothly, and, when connected to a dust collector, emits only a negligible amount of dust into the shop.

Doug Miller

Pat - What size are you wanting to buy?

I purchased the smaller Jet sander (JBOS-5 I believe) about two years ago and love it. When I was shopping my heart told me I wanted the large floor model. My wallet guided me to the smaller one. After two years I can say I probably didn't need a bigger machine. The little Jet has a good sized table, plenty of power and uses up to a 3" drum. The 3" drum is an accessory and awfully expensive at $59, but it gets quite a bit of use. The machine has enough drum and stroke length to edge sand two pieces of 8/4 oak at a time and this doesn't slow the motor much if at all.

By the way if you buy the 3" drum don't forget to pick up the 3" insert (about $5). I initially forgot to get it, looked at the insert hole in my table and said "Close enough, don't need it." Wrong. That little sander can do a pretty uncomfortable manicure when working with thinner parts.

Reply to
RonB

Depends on your budget and space. The Ridgid combo is a fine unit for the home shop for the money. Yes, there are better, but they cost much more. If you get a Jet or Delta, you will have a very good OSS, but you won't have the belt capability so you need a second unit.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

I also have the Ridgid combo unit and it performs quite well. Also it is a space saver being a 2 in 1 unit. Changeovers are quick from edge sander to spindle settings too. I would say the only downside is that it is quite noisy (mechanically), but no biggy for me as i wear hearing protection with all my tools. I have no doubts that a dedicated spindle sander and dedicated edge sander would be much better, but for my bumbling needs the combo is fine for now.

Paul

Reply to
Paul in MN