Oscillating Belt Sander

In a New Yankee Workshop episode this season, where Norm builds a very large dining table, he's shown using a large oscillating belt sander. Something to drool over. A quick search of the net didn't get any hits. Any idea where this gizmo comes from and its cost?
Jim Stuyck

Check out http://woodbutcher.net/nrmstools.htm You will probably find it there, then check www.amazon.com for price. Greg

Thanks for the referral. Yes, it's there, although I don't cover pricing and availability in my references; just manufacturers and model numbers (and pictures).
- - LRod
Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite
Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999
http://www.woodbutcher.net
http://www.epinions.com/content_74714746500
http://www.rexma.com.tw/bapilon/sk-3000sd.htm
--
Chipper Wood

useours, yours won't work
If it was Norm it was more than likely a Delta.
If it was a Delta it was more than likely this machine.
http://www.deltamachinery.com/index.asp?e 6&pG25
Cost? $1800ish.
By the way, the capacity of this machine is nice (36"ish platen) for smaller shops. It has the capabilities to be used as an edge sander with the belt upright or tilting the belt anywhere between 90 and 0.
For that kind of cost I'd opt for a used Crouch or if you have the capabilities and shop space a used Ekstrom-Carlson or an Oakley. These machines are pretty much bullet-proof whereas at Delta they might still be working out the kinks.
But then it could be just me.
UA100, who has an itty-bitty 2 1/4" (belt width) Acme 2C non-oscillating edge sander and loves it...
Whew! Spendy. Roughly th same thing here starts at around AUS$900 (US$500-550). I think you guys are paying a heck of a premium up there.
http://www.timbecon.com.au/products.asp?catid 561&parentid481
Bottom of page. Note the industrial machine is $2700, or about US$1800-1900. http://www.carbatecvic.com.au/shop/customer/home.php?cat 8&page=1
--
Greg

"Unisaw A100" < snipped-for-privacy@wi.rr.com> wrote in message

Yes...my mind's eye has this pictured:
Delta 31-396 Oscillating Edge Sander

Norm used it to put a slight, uniform, taper on two sides of each of six legs for the table. Seemed safer and more accurate than setting up a taper jig on a table saw.

When my numbers come in, in the Texas lottery, and I build a suitable surround for my tools, I NOW know that I NEED an oscillating edge sander. ;-)
By the way, about 35 years ago, give or take, some buddies and I took a 75-hour "cabinet making" class at a technical high school over the course of a slew of evenings. Very enjoyable. The school had a large-table belt sander -- perhaps 18"-24" belt, moveable table perhaps 8'-10' long -- that I still covet. You placed your work on the table and moved the table in and out while pressing the sanding belt down with a hand-held pad. Made quick work out of smoothing large surfaces. I NEED that for my new shop, too.
Jim Stuyck
Jim Stuyck wrote:

That is/was a stroke sander, sometimes called a hand block sander. These were used extensively in shops but have since been replaced by wide belt sanders. For the record, they are way better than the drum sanders being sold today.
UA100, who is/has been looking for a "smaller" (1) stroke sander for a while to finish out his lust for all machines abrasive...
(1) The allotted space (OK, the space I have left) in the shop measures 8' wide by 4' deep making something like a Boice-Crane or equal a good choice.

That sounds like a stroke sander. IIRC, Keeter is constantly dreaming of getting one, too.
Me? I covet his plaidness' Timesaver. :)
--
Jeff Thunder
Dept. of Mathematical Sciences
writes:

Jeffrey Thunder wrote:

And they taunt me by always being on the wrong coast.

Yahbut, they clash with the Hammer.
UA100