Osborne EB3 miter guide opinion wanted

I see where Osborne has this guide on sale for $109. Do any of you have it and how do you like it? Thanks

Reply to
Will

I don't have an answer to your question, but I have been interested in it for quite some time. It just LOOKS like it would be much more stable and accurate than most of the others. Besides, if it's good enough for Nahm . . .

Wayne

Reply to
NoOne N Particular

Can you be more specific? Miter "Glide"?

If you are talking about the triangle miter Gauge, IMHO avoid it. I have not seen one yet that does not have LOTS of slop when the slide is extended to the far/extended 45 degree setting. Even the one at the Delta area at the WW 2 weeks ago was pitiful.

If they have it marked down to 1/2 price it's likely that this inherent problem has affected sales.

Reply to
Leon

Good for 90 degree cuts pita on angled cuts.

Mark

Reply to
Markem

Fine Woodworking wasn't a big fan of the Osborne, citing the slop that Leon spoke of. I just purchased the Incra 1000SE and am fairly unimpressed. I'm going to be returning it to Woodcraft this week. The biggest issues are the slide-out extension bar and the difficulty using a backer-board to prevent tear-out. The slide out fence requires that you calibrate another ruler, which just sort of sits in the slot using a friction fit. Plus, the flip-stop is only 3/4" deep, which doesn't allow you to use a full-length backer. You've got to tack one on the end using the t-slots/nuts. It's a PITA and not very supportive, really. I like the looks of the Kreg, and the Woodhaven got high marks by FWW. Probably I'll try one of those.

JP

Reply to
Jay Pique

What burned my butt with Osborne was that I e-mail him directly about the problem. "I had purchased one" and Osborne himself responded with total denial of the inherent problem and that perhaps I got a bad one. My dealer had 4 more and each had the problem. I did end up with the Kreg just as Kreg had bought the miter gauge from another company. It too had its problems but when you lock the gauge it stays locked into position. Improvements have been made to the Flip stop that I learned about at the WW show 2 weeks ago. I was able to fix the problem by using a t-bolt in place of the supplied hex bolt that secures the flip stop along the rail. Before the modification the hex bolt would allow creep in the distance setting while tightening the thumb screw. The Kreg works like a charm now. I do not use the measure scale as of yet.

Incra's are nice also and some have had problems also. I mostly don't like the Incra because of all the real-estate that is taken up behind the miter fence.

Reply to
Leon

Agreed.

Reply to
Leon

Not stable at all in the 45 degree setting.

Besides, if it's good enough for Nahm . . .

You have to show your sponsors products.

Reply to
Leon

I ended up buying a Rockler miter gauge, and setting up my sled for angle cuts. The Osborne gets used but I would part with it, at present it sits as a reminder mainly.

Mark

Markem

Reply to
jazzguy