OSB (Oriented Strand Board)

I am building a small 8' x 10' shed with OSB wood panel on the sides. Could someone tell me which side of the OSB wood panel should face outside or does it matter. The sides will eventually be finished in vinyl siding as money permits.
You may paint the interior someday, so put the rough side out, I say. Tom >Joe job2 wrote:

Isn't there some writing on one surface stating which side out?
Renata

snipped-for-privacy@myrealbox.com (Renata) writes:

Ours said which side went UP but not which went OUT.
Oops, sorry. I just recently came across _something_ that had written on it which side out. Obviously not OSB.

The printing goes to the inside--especially when used as roof sheathing--so inspector can read what was used.
-Doug

: > I am building a small 8' x 10' shed with OSB wood panel on the sides. : > Could someone tell me which side of the OSB wood panel should face : > outside or does it matter. The sides will eventually be finished in : > vinyl siding as money permits. : :

sheathing--so
Don'r recall the printing as to which side goes "up" or "out", but the last OSB I used for roof sheathing, we put the side with the LINES on it "up". The lines are there to mark both 16" and 24" centers so you have guides for nailing it down. My .02 Nahmie
As noted by someone else. its not waterproof in the least and will fall apart really fast if it gets wet so cover it immediately. For exterior walls it won't matter which side is out. If you use it for interior walls and plan to paint it as I did then I'd use the smoother side (the one with the writing) as the surface to paint. It DEFINATELY needs a sealer though but looks great once sealed and painted bright white - for a shop. FWIW, corrugated galvanized metal sheets are like $5 ea at HD for a 2x8 piece. I used this for my roof, 30# tar paper under that & 7/16 OSB under that.
BTW, if used as the decking for the roof, the side with the small dimples goes up so you won't slide off the roof when papering and shingling or whatever other roofing material you use. The smooth side is slicker than snot on a doorknob, or cat shit on a linoleum floor - if you prefer.
Joe wrote:

says...

What is waterproof, and superficially looks like OSB, is Aspenite.
Kim