Ordering heavy tools from Amazon?

Page 2 of 2
ranted:

My mortiser came from Griz via FedEx Express Ground as well, not FedEx Ground, they're 2 different entities and Express is the trucking firm. He had a liftgate on his bobtail truck and rolled it to my door on a pneumatic wheeled hand truck. Good attitude, great service: the way it should always be.
---------------------------------------------------------------- * OPERA: A Latin word * Wondrous Website Design * meaning * Save your Heirloom Photos * "death by music" * http://www.diversify.com ----------------------------------------------------------------

There is Amazon Tool Crib, and there is Acme Electric, Tool Crib of the North, DO NOT confuse the two! Amazon bought Tool Crib's online/catalog portion of the business, other than that they have nothing at all to do with each other! Mention Amazon in a Acme store and you will get informed of that fact!
As for why the shipping went better one time over the other I have no idea, but I have read posts of people's complaints for not getting the delivery they requested from Amazon too. Greg

I hope the first thing you do in such a situation is take note of the "generic" freight company name and number, from the truck.
Next, I can imagine a conversation like this: "Fine. Keep it on your truck and carry your happy ass back to the depot. Before you get there, I'll have already informed Tool Crib and your boss that you refused to deliver as they promised, but offered to give extra service for some off-the-books cash money."
Best case, he unloads as expected. Worst case, he returns to his warehouse, where he's greeted by an unhappy boss. Even if he doesn't get fired on the spot, it's unlikely that he would be the next driver to attempt delivery to you.
Kevin
snipped-for-privacy@io.com (MSCHAEF.COM) wrote in message

I bought my Jet table saw and now just a couple of weeks ago a Delta Jointer from Amazon and it was great. The shipping company was excellent in both cases. They call you after your order to set up a time for shipment, and in fact they were even willing to leave it on my driveway if I would pin a release to my door. I was able to get the day off and be home for it anyway. The shipping company was within their 3 hour window both times.
I ordered a Delta 37-195 jointer from them back at Fathers day. Amazon had it marked down to $479.00, then they offered $50.00 off any purchase over $250.00, I then had a $20.00 gift certificate, and then qualified for free shipping. Grand total $409.00 delivered to my door. I could not touch it for this anywhere else. It did take 2 weeks to arrive as it was shipped truck freight, and it came directly from Delta. I have ordered other things from the tool crib, and have always been very satisfied.
Russ
snipped-for-privacy@io.com (MSCHAEF.COM) wrote in

If a 'remote' vendor causes you grief, then consider a 'local' one. I have purchased my 'big iron' (1) from local folks(2), so that they could deal with the shipping issues, the quality issues, the repair issues and my 'tire-kicking' phase. I felt the price differences were worth it.(3) You may feel differently.
You may also not have access to the variety of dealers within easy driving distance that I do.
Are you considering anyone else besides Amazon?
Patriarch
(1) Delta, Jet and Performax items (2) two local dealers (3) factory sponsored sales, generally 10% off
I ordered a Jet SuperSaw from Amazon a couple of years ago. The price for the saw (~$1200 saw w/ sliding table) was the same as the local woodworking store but, unlike the local store, Amazon had free shipping and no sales tax (5% in MA). Like others have posted, the product was delivered by FedEx Heavy. FedEx called to schedule the delivery, arrived when they said they would and the driver used a pallet lift to wheel the boxes into my garage.
I didn't have any coupons to reduce the saw price but I figure the free shipping and sales tax was worth a couple of hundred dollars :-).

On Thu, 02 Dec 2004 09:39:02 -0600, snipped-for-privacy@io.com (MSCHAEF.COM) wrote:

Whenever you order a large or heavy item you need to find out the specifics on how it will be delivered. Many trucks will not deliver to a residential area and in that case you must pick it up at the station. If the truck does deliver to your residential address, find out how the item will be taken off the truck. I've ordered from Amazon with no problems, but I have not ordered any heavy equipment from them. In any event, it is a good idea to have two strong male friends to help you get the equipment into your shop. A hand truck or dolly is handy.

I purchased my unisaw locally; dealer loaded it on my truck, I had to carry it home and unload it myself and pay 5% sales tax. I ordered my 8" jointer and Amazon delivered it for free except I paid $25 for liftgate service. Driver unloaded it and placed it inside my shop. and NO sales tax. I think you'll find most local dealers won't give you any better service than Amazon. I'm certain my unisaw dealer wouldn't do a thing if I had a problem with it other than refer me to a service rep, same as Amazon. At least Amazon delivers. And no sales tax.
Gary
I've bought a lot from them. Usually free delivery, no tax. The only downside with something heavy is someone has to be around to accept delivery. Don't think I ever had a bad experience with them.
Chris

carry
jointer
think
problem

Of course you are still liable for the Use Tax for out of state purchases and will report it promptly ;)

Right below where I declare my Tips and what we pay the Nanny.
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

Wanna bet?

snipped-for-privacy@io.com (MSCHAEF.COM) wrote:

I recently bought a drill press and a band saw through Amazon. In both cases, the delivery truck driver took the items off the truck and put them in my garage.
--
Hank Gillette