Orbital Sander V Belt Sander

I have both of these tools and can see some advantages and disadvantages to each tool - I would just like some other input into the uses of these tools -- i.e.
would you use belt sander to 'rough out' sanding and use the orbital to do the final 'fine' sanding -- and so forth
any suggestions welcome
Boc
Sydney Australia
Hi Boc, IMHO most woodworkers/ cabinetmakers seldom if ever use a belt sander unless it's placed upside down in some kind of jig where you bring the wood to the sander and not the sander to the wood. Unless I am using it as a sculpting tool it sits on the shelf. It is just too aggressive for fine woodworking. To go from rough to fine sanding use different grits of paper on your RO sander. Cheers, JG
Ozboc wrote:

unless
the
tool
Thanks Jg - My only real problem with an Orbital sander is swirl marks ---- ( only when using rough paper )
Boc

unless
the
tool
Sometimes its handy in the first stage of levelling out panel glue-ups in the absence of a bigger drum sanding machine. Ok to round sharp edges roughly for outdoor projects as well. It has its uses, but I find I use my ROS more.
-- Regards,
Dean Bielanowski Editor, Online Tool Reviews http://www.onlinetoolreviews.com Over 50 woodworking product reviews online! ------------------------------------------------------------ Latest 6 Reviews: - Ryobi EMS1830SCL 12" SCMS - Bessey K-Body Clamps - Lumber Wizard Metal Detector - Pocket Hole Drilling Jig Project Book - Kreg Universal Bench Klamp - GRR-Ripper System & MJ Splitter ------------------------------------------------------------