Options on 14" Bandsaw.

I need to purchase a Bandsaw this weekend. I need to have it by Saturday so mail order is out. I have the options of buying a Ridgid 1400 (379.00) or a Delta 28-276 (399.00). Is one better that the other or about the same quality wise. Any reason to pick one over the other, or just go with the lower cost?

SteveD61

Reply to
SteveD61

For one thing, the Ridgid is ugly. Appearance aside, there won't be a huge difference in use. The Delta looks to have a smaller footprint because the motor is mounted under, rather than in back of the saw.

I've only take a cursory glance at the Ridgid. I've not seen this particular model of Delta up close, but other Delta saws are much nicer fit and finish. The Delta table is 16 x 16 while the Ridgid is only 14 x 14. That can make a difference in how you handle and support your wood. The Delta dust port seems to be in a better location also. I'd spend the extra $20 for it, but that is just me. Ed

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Does Ridgid offer a riser block for their saw? Might not need it now but someday. Something to consider if you think you may want to do some re-sawing with it in the future.

Jim

Reply to
James D. Kountz

If it were my money I'd probably get the Delta....or *a* Delta. I know time is of the essence for you, but you might be lucky enough to find a used Rockwell/Delta in time. The micrometer upper/lower blade guide adjustments is more than worth the difference in price. You can get one for about half the price of a new saw. Read the reviews at Amazon.com.

Layne

Reply to
Layne