Optimum Bench Dog Holes Placement?

Page 1 of 3
I'm about to drill bench dog holes in a slab maple bench 30" x 72". I intend to place my 12" Record vise adjacent to the left front corner.
I'm wondering if anyone has determined optimum placement for dog holes ~ how many and where?
Thanks

I will be there soon, Hopefully. ;~)
I would think that you would want them perhaps slightly more closely spaced than the distance that the vise opens.

That thought did occur to me for the vise, but what about dog holes for the rest of the bench? There's no vise there to allow for adjustment.
I'm considering one or more of these from Lee Valley to allow for universality. http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=1&pc825&catQ&ap=1

According to the web site drawing that particular clamp has a 9-3/4" threaded rod and 8-3/8 that is not threaded. I 'd probably go with 9"

CORRECTION I'd probably go with 8".

I'll base my hole spacing on a diagonal measuring scheme and drill the dog holes little less than the maximum adjustability of those clamps. That will give me the most universality. It also makes sense that I should actually buy one first and physically view it's maximum capabilities than just going on the product's physical description ~ despite Veritas' reputation for excellence.
On Sat, 07 Nov 2009 00:32:06 -0500, the infamous snipped-for-privacy@teksavvy.com scrawled the following:

Ditto that thought. Stagger rows by half that if you want.
0 0 0 0 0
0 0 0 0 0
0 0 0 0 0
6.75" for 7" vise jaw 0 0 0 0 0 27x37" pattern + jaw depth.

Drill 'em as you need 'em. Not a prob. Got a 3/4" forstner bit? A tubafore tee (underneath on a car jack) prevents blowouts.

Whatver for? (Sorry, Rob, but that thing's overpriced.) Get the Wonder Pups if anything. (now cost twice what I paid for 'em!)
-- "To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes the propagation of ideas which he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical." -- Thomas Jefferson
On Sat, 07 Nov 2009 11:05:31 -0800, Larry Jaques

That's an idea that hadn't occurred to me. I was wondering how I'll drill interior holes where even my largest clamps would reach to position wood against blowout.

At approximate $35 each ca, they're only half the cost of the surface vises and certainly not as much reach. I also like that fact that you fasten your own block attachment to the end of the surface vices, something you can't do with the wonder dogs. I guess combination of both would fill most anyone's needs.

When I see something like this, I wonder how people can live without a spool welder. They're cheap and you can use flux-cored wire to hold down cost if only used occasionally. I did woodworking, but occasionally I'd trot out the welder and make a fixture or work piece, while also having it handy to repair my normal homeowner's equipment like tractor, attachments and mower.
While the Lee Valley surface gizmo looks great and would probably be handy for some jobs, I found that when something was specifically needed, I could fabricate what I needed faster and cheaper (not necessarily better, though) than what I could buy. Once used, it'd get put into a corner, on a shelf or in a closet until needed the next time. For the very occasional use, such as I'd have for the Lee Valley clamp/vice, a large nut, piece of threaded rod and a piece of smooth rod for the dog hole would be perfect. Vice Grips make a great crank handle. <grin>
--
Nonny

You cannot make a stupid kid smart by
On Sat, 07 Nov 2009 14:54:01 -0500, the infamous snipped-for-privacy@teksavvy.com scrawled the following:

Yeah, a 6' length glued to an upright on a floor jack works well and is safe for your billdrits.

The vise would take up most of the slack anyway, and it's much easier to adjust. Plus, you'd get a twofer.

Oh, come on. You're incapable of drillling holes in a _brass_ wonder pup end? <g>
-- The Smart Person learns from his mistakes. The Wise Person learns from the mistakes of others. And then there are all the rest of us... -----------------------------------------------------
Leon wrote:

The vise should have one or more retractable dogs. You want the dog holes aligned with those, and spaced to something less than the total movement of the vise.
On Sat, 7 Nov 2009 01:52:08 -0500, "J. Clarke"

It's an older Record vise on the order of 20 years I'd guess. No retractable dog on it. I'll have to jury rig something for it.
On 11/07/2009 01:12 AM, snipped-for-privacy@teksavvy.com wrote:

Put a wooden chop on the movable jaw and put a dog hole in it. Something like the one shown here:
http://blog.woodworking-magazine.com/blog/The+Holtzapffel+Workbench.aspx
Chris
On Sat, 07 Nov 2009 01:40:08 -0600, Chris Friesen

Not sure what you mean by "chop", but wooden jaws with one or two dog holes would be entirely feasible. Thanks.
Some of these bench pups by Lee Valley would work nicely. http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=1&p1127&cat=1,41637,41645

Is that what I said ;~)

The WoodSmithShop just built a bench.
They ran then on 6" centers.
YMMV
Lew
On Fri, 6 Nov 2009 23:23:29 -0800, "Lew Hodgett"

Thanks, I read about the workbench earlier here, but didn't know about the 6" centres. I had a look through their website and couldn't find a link to that particular episode. You got a link to it by any chance Lew?

I have a Sketchup drawing of the concept if you want. I could convert it to pdf if you needed that but you would not get the whole experience of seeing it from all angles. I am probably going to build one very much like it but not quite so long or wide. Mine is scaled down a bit.

Sure, I'd appreciate a copy of your Sketchup design if you're going to make on. You have my email address. Thanks

Not really, if web site doesn't list programs, you are probably out of luck.
Lew