Opportunistic Optimist

Every cloud has a silver lining - or at least a little shine to it. Or crisis presents opportunities.
Sunday morning, spent three hours in the emergency room (2-5am) prompted by 4 previous hours of what the medical profession refers to as "discomfort", accompanied by nausea and a hint of vertigo. Diagnosis - likely a kidney stone. Hard to believe that could produce the symptoms it does - "discomfort" is in no way an adequate descriptor of the feeling.
But the wood working related part is that they gave me a great little plastic funnel with a very fine mesh screen acrossed the bottom opening. Looked like an ideal finish strainer so I asked for, and got, a couple more.
Wonder what the diagnosticians going to say after analyzing a shellac crystal? Don't know what I'm going to do if he prescribes a "no shellac" diet.
Put me in a room full of horse manure and I'll start digging looking for the pony I'm sure is in there somewhere.
charlie b
Good for you charlie,,, but ;~) you know those couple of extra funnels will probably add $100 to the bill LOL..
charlie b wrote:

Try some seedlac. They little bug parts should keep them guessin'.
Hope you feel better.
-- Jack Novak Buffalo, NY - USA

I had one of those about 8 years ago. I, and my friends and family, remark about my apparent high threshold for pain.
But that lil' stone turned me into a sobbing, racking, wreck of flesh. Never, ever had I had such pain!
I was on the road, in KC, when it hit. I took a taxi to the ER and happened upon an ER physician who quickly ascertained the likely cause of my discomfort, and (literally) ran for the Demerol. Turns out he had one once and knew the pain level. God Bless that Doctor. God Bless meperidine.

I had my first kidney stone about 7 or 8 years ago. When I was in the emergency room the Doc told me that when someone comes in there screaming and they don't seem to be bleeding, they are usually either pregnant or have a kidney stone. Had another one last year and required surgery to get rid of it. I was hooked up to a morphine machine with a little button for about 24 hours. I counted down the seconds each time until it allowed another dose.
-Chris

about
In all seriousness, there's only ONE condition I fear. And that's a repeat bout of a stone. It's been about 8 years for me too since the first one. Damn, That hurt!!!