Opinions Requested - Workbench Top

I have 2 1/2 bundles of 3/4"x2 1/4" unfinished no. 1 common red oak flooring. It's been sitting unused for 6 years in my basement. I am in need of a new workbench and am considering cutting both the ends and the tongues off of the pieces, turning it on edge and gluing a top up. Should the groove be ripped off as well as the tongue? It would be on the bottom side of the top. I've heard that oak is not a prefered top material, but with just the expense of time at this point, I'm wondering if this is worth while endeavor? As a long time off and on lurker on your site, I'm anxiously awaiting the combined knowledge and wittitisms I'm so fond of following in this group.
Thanks, Glider
How wide will you make the bench? Figure about 1/2 gallon of glue for each foot of width, you'll have to be very careful to clamp it up flat, and you'll want to run it through a thickness planer, right? If you're running it through a planer, make sure the grain on each piece runs out in the same direction or you'll get some tearing.
I was figuring a final width of around 26 inches including some taller skirt boards on each side. With this type of top, are end caps needed?
Glider

voodo wrote;>I was figuring a final width of around 26 inches including some taller skirt

With this type of top, are end caps needed?
Of course not. Tom