Opinions On the Dewalt DW743 Flip-Over Saw

I'm looking to replace my Dewalt 1501 RAS with something a little bit smaller. I want maximum versatility and accuracy and I've been looking at the Dewalt DW743 Flip-Over saw.
This is for general carpentry and some furniture making. Does anyone have one of these or can anyone give me some feedback?
Thanks
Ian
I had never seen one before, but it appears to be a great saw for the trades.
On 12/31/2010 12:15 PM, Ian James wrote:

On 12/31/10 11:15 AM, Ian James wrote:

My initial impression is, "Wow! I wish I'd thought of that." Very cool looking tool.
For general carpentry, I think it would be great, especially in the back of a truck.
But if you're wanting "accuracy.....for... some furniture making" I wouldn't suggest that saw if you're considering using it as a table saw very often. The table and fence are way too small to get the kind of results you want for furniture making.
--

-MIKE-

Makita FL1000 has been around in Europe for a while now. It is cheaper than the DeWalt. Perfect for the installer.
On 12/31/10 12:08 PM, Robatoy wrote:

I'm guessing they're not over here because they wouldn't pass emissions.
--

-MIKE-

Hehehe....
It would be interesting to know the reason(s) though...
Robatoy wrote:

One of these saws would have come in very handy over the last several months. I checked both the DeWalt and Makita US web sites and neither seem to be available in the States.
--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

I'll bet they do not meet OSHA specs for guarding, or something.
--
Jim in NC

More likely they don't think there is a market for it here.
On Dec 31, 12:15pm, "Ian James"

Never used such an animal, but the idea is interesting. A quick Google showed there are a number of similar saws out there - mainly EU fodder. http://festoolownersgroup.com/other-tools-accessories/unusual-woodworking-power-tools
<Snip>
Never used such an animal, but the idea is interesting. A quick Google showed there are a number of similar saws out there - mainly EU fodder. http://festoolownersgroup.com/other-tools-accessories/unusual-woodworking-power-tools
Thanks for the comments - the furniture use would only be occasional so still a contender. I need something I can move around as my garage is shared by the car (and bikes)!
Luckily I'm EU based (UK).
Ian
snipped-for-privacy@btinternet.com says...

http://festoolownersgroup.com/other-tools-accessories/unusual-woodworking-power-tools
If you just need to be able move it around your garage it would be a lot cheaper to put some casters on your RAS. And after you've read the Mr. Sawdust and Jon Eakes books <http://mrsawdust.com/ and <http://www.joneakes.com/payments/review?type=product&id=radial_arm_saw you may decide that it's a keeper.
On Dec 31 2010, 12:15pm, "Ian James"

Kool tool. But I find having two is better. Set up and changeover's a pain. As suggested, add casters to your RAS - i did using a trolley thing that I could swing down and lock in place. This raised the rear of the saw effectively engaging the two fixed casters (off a grocery store shopping cart) at the front of the stand.
I modified my stand so that it was plumb along the rear and splayed out to the left, right and front so that it would fit flush against the wall when not in use and added some drawers / shelving to utilize the space under the saw.
At one point I had a folding table for it where the left and right "wings" folded down along each side allowing the saw to slip into a narrow (respectively) space.
Having said all that, if I could only hav e one saw in my shop, it would be as good a TS as I could afford.