Opinions on Mastercraft 12.5" portable planer?

This is probably a question for the Canadians: I just got the Canadian Tire flyer for this week, and it's got a Mastercraft 12.5" portable planer, 15A motor, 8000 rpm cutterhead speed, hinged table extensions, 2 steel knives. Regular price $400, on sale for $250. Worth considering?

Thanks in advance,

- Frank

Reply to
Frank

What kind of tax is there on top of that price? That is a great price even if the planer is not so hot; I could use something for rough work so as to not abuse my Makita.

(Spoken by an ignorant American who will be driving by a Canadian Tire next week.)

Reply to
toller

Everwhere in Canada there is 7% Federal Goods & Services Tax, provincial sales taxes vary according to province. Many are 8% such as in Ontario, one province has no provincial sales tax.

I hear that Americans can download a form from Revenue Canada and get a rebate on the Federal GST on their purchases, no rebate on Provincial taxes. Some provinces have a combined GST & PST called HST, the rebate may or may not include the full 15%.

Reply to
Eric Tonks

Toller, I picked up there cheapy router on sale for 30% off Paid $69.

Sure it's only a 1/4" collette and 1 1/4 HP. But you know.. When you look at this cheapy and find a spindle lock which makes changing bits nice and easy, and it's a plunge router, and variable speed and it has depth stop control, and a fairly decent fence, and it comes in a fairly decent case, with dust attachment and template guide etc. for $69 it turned out to be a pretty decent router.

Seems the quality of their products has gotten better over the last several years. You might find their surface planer to be a very good product.

You can also go online at

they have a full site, including the flyer online.

Pat

Reply to
SawDust

Frank,

I saw the planer in the flyer myself and thought what a great deal ( except I already have a planer ) Now if you are using the thing for average weekend woodworker stuff it's a great deal.

One word of advice though, my (Delta...el cheapo) planer is 10 years old or more now and they have new technology out that allows you to plane wood without sniping the end of whatever you are planing. It's a real pain running a piece of oak or something expensive through the planer knowing that about 1 1/2" is going to have to be trimmed off at each end because the planer takes a "bite" out of the wood when it enters and exits. I find sometimes I would like to plane just a hair more off a piece of wood after I have cut it to length, and it's not possible because I know the planer is going to bite the ends of the wood.

If I were buying a planer today I would buy nothing less than a one that doesn't snipe the ends of the wood regardless of a sale on another type. I have used both, and it's a basic case of being disappointed in mine after the fact....If I had only known.

In my opinion it's worth the extra $200-$300 for a planer that doesn't snipe. Plus something a little more pricey will have a better motor and likely planer blades that aren't just mild steel.

Well that's my two cents worth, so whatever you decide I hope it works out for you..

Good Luck Todd

Reply to
Todd

Thanks a lot Todd, that's great advice for a beginner like me. I went to Canadian Tire yesterday to have a look at it, and it seems to be fairly basic, from what I could tell without trying it anyway. The "feel" of it seemed a bit clunky or no-frills to me somehow. Made in China, and no markings that I could see to indicate that it was made by another company for Mastercraft. The one I looked at was 12", not 12.5".

I was also at Rona this weekend, and they have a Delta for about $500 that seems to be a much better design - less clunky, and it lists a whole slew of benefits that the Mastercraft one didn't. May just be that Delta has a better marketing department, but it did make me want to research features and benefits further before I bought anything, and probably save my pennies for the Delta or something of equivalent value. I'll definitely look for one that doesn't take snipes out of both ends, as you suggest. Thanks for the advice and good wishes!

- Frank

Reply to
Frank

Reply to
nospambob

YOU MIGHT WANT TO GOOGLE ON THE DELTA 22-580 .IT HAS A LOT MORE FEATURES INCLUDING A 2 SPEED MOTOR AND LOCKING MECHANISM WHICH REDUCES THE WASTE AT THE ENDS SUBSTANTIALLY.IT SELLS FOR ABOUT $400.00 BUT IS A LOT MORE MACHINE FOR THE MONEY WHEN YOU CONSIDER THAT THE MASTERCRAFT REGULAR PRICE IS $369.00

Reply to
bastd