Opinions: Gloss or satin

I could sure use some opinions about our cedar mantle. We can't decide if we like gloss or satin better. We're building up the coats of poly with gloss so we can go either way at this point. I see them done both ways. We keep walking by it and commenting how pretty it is (with gloss) but are still planning on satin. The wood ceiling and trim is all done is a satin finish. If you post your choice, could you also say "why"? Here is a link to the den the mantle will be in. Please click on page "6" for the pictures of the mantle. Thanks for your opinions/advice.

Trent

If I were doing it I would stay with satin. My personal preference is satin on a "natural" mantle, i.e. one cut from a log instead of one squared off and carved or routed with intricate designs. The second reason is that red cedar is a bear to finish because of the resin in the wood and the areas around the knots or hard areas will shrink a lot, leaving wrinkled up finish over time. This is more noticable with gloss than it is satin. BTW, your place looks beautiful. Nice job, comfortable and elegant.

Reply to
Jon Dough

Satin. Personal preference, but I agree with the previous poster in that a log mantle would look more natural in satin than in gloss. Other than that, I generally dislike glossy finishes over wood grain. Gloss, for me, belongs on black pianos. :-)

Brian.

Reply to
Brian

satin. Someday, it'll all be over....

Reply to
Tom

satin or a lower luster semi. I mistakenly put gloss on some woodwork and freaked when it dried and look so weird. Sanded it down an covered it with semi; big difference, and improvement. There's just something unnatural about super shiny wood that looks, well, for lack of a better word--unnatural. Sorry I can't explain better. Kinda like if you asked me what sort of paintings I like; I couldn't tell you, but I sure know what I like and don't like when I see it!

dave

Trent wrote:

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

First coat gloss. Second and third, satin. Gives it a little depth.

Renata

smart, not dumb for email

Reply to
Renata