Opinions: are round-ended through tenons in good taste?

Is it considered in acceptable taste to use machine-cut round-ended tenons for through tenons on furniture? Does it depend on the style?
This isn't for anything I'm working on now; just for information. I know it's my work and I can use anything I feel like, but what will it look like to knowledgeable viewers? I don't want my tenons to look like brown shoes with a tux.
Thanks, PDX David
Probably most guys who make mortises by hand just like the feel of chopping good hardwood. You can't feel that with a router.
IMHO, if you are trying to make furniture to earn a living, round tenons won't help you. And if you are trying to emulate the art of a by-gone era, same thing, round tenons won't help you.
The tools are cheap. It's the effort that costs.
Jane & David wrote:

know
look
brown

"Jane & David" wrote:

David,
What I would say is, what's important to you? I admire the people who hand cut dovetails and engage in the "traditional" aspect of woodworking. That being said, I think everyone finds a level that suits how they want to work and a level they can feel proud of. Is a hand made joint cooler than a machined one? Sure, because the maker put a learned skill to use; but if you walk into a kitchen that has just been remodeled by the average woodworker with all new cabinetry and all the drawers are dovetailed, does anyone really believe they did those all by hand? Probably not.
So if I walked into your living room and saw a piece of furniture that had a round ended tenon showing I'd probably think, hmmm, good idea.
Besides, how many people who look at something like that even know what they are looking at unless they are a woodworker? My wife doesn't care if I make something with a finger joint or a dovetail, to her they are equally elegant.
I guess my point is, build to suit your self.
Just MHO
--
San Diego Joe

they
make
Walk around a suburban neighbourhood some summer evening and notice how many garages a filled with tools and sawdust. There are a surprising number of people around who have a clue.

I would agree. Yet the OP asked for opinions, so here it comes. I'd rather see rectangular tenons, with a fit tight enough to admire.
- Owen -
It does make the piece appear that the maker didn't want to "go the extra".
Your Mileage May Vary.
UA100
It's a bad idea to mix the discussion of mortise and tenon execution with Windsor chair construction.
What would a Windsor chair look like with square mortise and tenons? Humm... Or, how many furniture guys can make mortise and tenon joints with compound angles? Humm...
Make what you enjoy.

Check how Windsor chairs are done. And see the article on Welsh stick chairs in the current PopWood. It works for some styles, some people.
If you make something Stickley style, with round through tenons, you better paint it.
"Patriarch" wrote:

Good point
--
San Diego Joe

The one instance I've seen was a bed foot rail tenoned through the bed leg. It was maple round through tenon wedged with cherry. It was a *very* good look.
Joe C.

It was somewhere outside Barstow when Jane & David

I'd say yes. I've seen some '60s generic Scandiwegian lounge furniture done this way that didn't look out of place. Things like tapered chair arms and extensive use of a roundover bit on the edges helped too.