opinions

My King KC-10SC 1HP Direct drive saw died... i was waiting for this day... now time to replace...

Oninions on:

(if i get this one, i'm getting hte 52" rails on it)

i want this style saw not the true cabinet, because i already have a stand to fit, and they seem a bit lighter...

Reply to
Picasso

Are Oninnions like Opinions but they make you cry when you cut them?

Not familiar with either saw. Generally (pun) happy with fit and finish of General equip. Haven't touched King. Looking at specs and pics, I like the General for the knee activated off switch and they do mention some special attention given to arbor for no run-out.

However, the King has an 18 amp motor and the General only a 15 amp.

I want the general with the King Motor.

Reply to
SonomaProducts.com

Odds are the similarities are far greater than the differences. The General can be had (AFAIK) with their T-square, for just a wee bit more. Many pro shops around me use General with nothing but positive feedback. My CNC is a General, the service impeccable.

The King? I had a King bandsaw, 14" which served me very well, and way beyond expectations considering how cheap it was. Some of their powertools are not great, so I have heard.... the usual, bushings where there should be bearings etc... Their plunge router was a piece of crap.

I'd be all over the General, because I like those guys there....good enough reason?

Reply to
Robatoy

You really should consider this saw also if you can get your hands on one.

Leon

+1 on the Canadian made General.

Had the opportunity to use one a few years back and, hands down, I would purchase the Canadian General over a Unisaw, which I own; and a PowerMatic, which I've also used.

All good saws, but the General would be my number one choice.

I've not used the SawStop, but fondled one and was impressed. Were I shopping for a commercial shop with employees, the SawStop would be a no brainer due to liability issues in a complex world run totally by lawyers.

Short that, it's a General for sure ...

Reply to
Swingman

I've not seen either in person. General does have a good reputation for the Canada built tools, and I think it holds well for the import like this one.

The King has a 27" table versus the 23" for the General. I'd give a lot of consideration to that, especially with a wide cross cut. The King has open extensions and while I'm not crazy about them, the steel on the General are not as solid.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

The Ridgid in this price range down there?

Reply to
Robatoy

------------------------------ The General is supplied with steel extensions. The King is supplied with cast iron extensions. I like cast iron extensions.

-------------------------------------- The General weighs about 212 lbs. The King weighs about 270 lbs. I like 270 lbs.

(Remember that old limrick about "The mass of the ass"?) More is better IMHO.

----------------------------------- The General has a 23" deep table. The King has a 27" deep table. I like 27" deep tables on my table saw.

YMMV

-------------------------------- Can't comment on which is the better contractor's saw; however, based on the specs you provide, King would be my choice.

---------------------------------------- Consultation fee is a couple of cases of Molson

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

On Mon, 28 Jun 2010 23:00:32 -0700, "Lew Hodgett"

TWO cases? You greedy bugger. I'll give you a 6 pack case of empties.

Reply to
Upscale

Molson???? I prefer Bud over any Molson and that is saying something. Erdinger, Grolsch, Sleemans in that order. If I can't have any of those, Bud it is. Then again, there are dozens of different smaller brands, micros etc that I really like too. Not included are the total fringe crazies like Maple Bacon Poontang Dark.

Reply to
Robatoy

I'd rather have flat steel wings than warped cast iron. But if both are flat, I'll take the mass of the cast. Webbed cast can be good too.

Reply to
Robatoy

...I have the Ridgid and like it alot for on-site work. Shop is another deal...prolly not.

cg

Reply to
Chasgroh

Molson???? I prefer Bud over any Molson and that is saying something. Erdinger, Grolsch, Sleemans in that order. If I can't have any of those, Bud it is. Then again, there are dozens of different smaller brands, micros etc that I really like too. Not included are the total fringe crazies like Maple Bacon Poontang Dark.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------- Poontang?!

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

Reply to
Robatoy

--------------------------------- Bud, the byproduct of a disgruntled goat.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

I thought it was Clydesdales.

Reply to
Leon

That would be a cut above Bud.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

A juice made from the rare Poonberry tree.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Be like naming your wine Swartzenwalder Putz.

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

It's still better than at least two beers I've had: Strohs, and -- what has to be the worst beer of all time -- Rhinelander.

Reply to
Doug Miller

------------------------------------ What, you are not a friend of "Fire Brewed"?

Looks like you never spent any time in Detroit either.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett