opinion on craftsman router

Page 2 of 2
Don Dando wrote:
<very snipped>

I also have a Craftsman router, among others. The last time I attempted to use the Craftsman it was in a table operation routing a 1/4" deep 3/8" dado along an 1/2" thick 18" long board. The bit rode up out of the collet. It's a good thing I noticed the bulge developing in the top of the push block before the bit reached my knuckles.
YOU CAN GO WRONG with a Craftsman router.
scribbled:

I second that notion. Last time I tried using the second of the two Sears routers I used to own, I was routing a 1/8" shallow dado in a piece of 2X4 to be used as a deck handrail by a neighbour (neighbor, Keith). The bit rode and the router started bogging down. I pulled the 2X4 up and saw that the bit was way up. I hit the floor and the switch simultaneously, afraid the bit would fly off.
The last time I tried using my first Sears router, I cutting the rabbet in a piece of Doug fir intended as a door jamb. The bit rode up and started bogging. Luckily, it was where the hinge was to go, so I managed to put in a not too visible patch. I finished cutting that rabbet on the table saw.
Luckily, some suck^H^H^H^H really nice, intelligent, articulate and helpful person took them off my hands and paid for the shipping. And I didn't have to supply the yellow paint.

Didn't someone (I think it was BAD) just write about a similar experience with a PC router? The problem may be a bit more prevalent with the Craftsman routers (and maybe not for all I know), but it happens to others brands also.
Dave Hall
On 02 Mar 2004 02:46:39 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@cs.com (David Hall) scribbled:

Yabbut, with other brands, you replace the collet. With Sears, you try turning it into a boat anchor, because the collet is part of the motor shaft.

This is not true of old Craftsman Routers.
Walt Conner
Sun, Feb 29, 2004, 9:57pm (EST-3) snipped-for-privacy@nonet.ca (LuigiZanasi) confesses: <snip> Luckily, some suck^H^H^H^H really nice, intelligent, articulateand helpful person took them off my hands and paid for the shipping. And I didn't have to supply the yellow paint.
Damn decent of you to admit to the world I'm intelligent and articulate. I'm quite happy with them too, but gotta get another can of paint.
JOAT To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them. - Richard Henry Lee, 1788
Life just ain't life without good music. - JOAT Web Page Update 28 Feb 2004. Some tunes I like. http://community-2.webtv.net/Jakofalltrades/SOMETUNESILIKEVOCALS /
The Craftsman routers and most of their portable power tools are made by Ryobi which I would not buy either. However the Sears latest tools catalog does have a router plunge combo that looks like it is the Bosch 1617EVS, so maybe Sears is changing their OEM for routers and power tools.
As a beginner, I would go for the Porter Cable 690 or check out the routers from Hitachi, Bosch, Milwaukee, Makita, Fein, Triton, and Freud.
Andy