Opinion of the JET Model 708100 table saw.

I have the opportunity to purchase this saw for $399.99 at my local Woodcraft. This is the last one they have and it is the floor model. No big deal there--it saves me a lot of time of putting it together. I guess this was a new saw this year and Jet gave Woodcraft x-many of them to sell at $400. From what they tell me, any that they sell from now on will go for $549.00.
Whatever. All I know is that this is a LOT better than the little Delta 36-600 I currently have.
I can scrape together the $400 now but I would like to get some opinions of it from others. This saw is a belt drive but the motor is mounted underneath, thus giving me more room in the garage. Plus I will be able to rewire it for 220 if and when I want.
Just so we all know, I do not have plans to continually be running big maple or oak or other hardwood boards through it. I plan on making things like shelves, kitchen cabinets, boxes, etc. The other saw would have definitely still worked for all I plan on doing in the near future but I have always wanted the capability to cut mot anything I may want to in the future.
[...]
Exactly. To have it and not need it, is better than needing it and not having it. Tom snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote: > Just so we all know, I do not have plans to continually be running big

I have this saw (also bought from Woodcraft on sale). I've been very happy with the saw. It and a WWII blade haven't had problems going through anything - 4x4 pine, 1" thick walnut, 3/4" ply. I did switch to the stock blade for the 3/4" MDF :)
The dust collection isn't great, but better than nothing. The saw itself is accurate. Side wings are stamped steel, but I've replaced one with a cast iron router table.
One note - the frame theoretically has rollers; don't use 'em (weak) and get a mobile base instead.
Drew