Operation Humidor

I am a fan of the ceegar. I have decided that keeping them in a coolerdor is just no way to treat them so I have decided to build a humidor. I know there are many plans for teeny tiny boxes but I say go big or go home. I want to build a cabinet, kind of like a curio cabinet with one glass door. I will be lining it with Spanish cedar. The thing is these things are made to hold 70% relative humidity so I am not sure how to approach this task. I can build it of as nice plywood as I can find and edge it on the outside with nice trim. Any thoughts on this? I don't know if I am talented enough to make it from solid wood. I am fairly green. Also Since I will be making a glass panel door, how can I ensure the humidity does not warp the rails, stiles? Can anyone point me in the direction of a useable plan?
In over my head is where I like it, Gus
Add pictures here
βœ–

I've been thinking about a humidor lately as well, though not the cabinet style. I looked at several plans and sites and found this article from FWW:
http://www.taunton.com/finewoodworking/pages/w00069.asp
As far as trapping the humidity behind a glass door, it seems some kind of a seal that compresses when the door closes is one route to go. Years ago I was building a custom lamphouse for my photographic enlarger. I needed to create a light tight seal. I cut and glued a piece of neoprene around the edge and when the lamphouse was lowered into position the wweight compressed the neoprene and, violα, nary a photon could escape.
What other suggestions might the more experienced among us make?
My $0.02 worth, Ian
Add pictures here
βœ–

Having built a rather large humidor lately I think I have learned a few things as I am still modifying things. A good sealer/laquer oneverything about 6 coats ought to seal it just fine. After the laquer has dried and the fumes have disapated you are safe to line your cabinet. I used foam weather stripping around my doors for a sealer. Works pretty good. While I did not use glass in it I would think that weather stripping would work. If you are going to include any drawers in your cabinet I would suggest that you leave room behind the drawers for air flow. I have put a Cigar Oasis II in my units and it does a great job. I did however install a few other 40MM 12vdc fans to help circulate the air.
Mikie :-)
Add pictures here
βœ–
Fun-Gus wrote:

Point your browser at: http://tinyurl.com/5nulh
This is a Yahoo group for Alt.Smokers.Cigars. You'll see some very nice cabinet humidors that were built by a guy who goes by the handle of BigOak. If you like his styles, you may wish to try to contact him through the newsgroup. There are also some smaller ones shown. All have their ASC handles so you can "page" them in ASC.
Add pictures here
βœ–
I think that adding a humidifier means that you do not have to have an airtight seal, for example:
http://capitalcigarsource.com/phumidifier.htm
And a hygrometer lets you keep track of the actual humidity.

Add pictures here
βœ–
Maybe put in a few seperate compartments. Dont know if its bad to mix diff cigar types in a humidor. I do about 1 cigar a year, I use a ziplockbagador. heheh.
Rich

is
door.
Add pictures here
βœ–

Which grade of polyethylene do you recommend ? Some sorts have problems with plasticiser leach-out tainting the cigar.
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Wed, 21 Jul 2004 00:38:11 +0100, Andy Dingley

So much the better! <evil grinne>
--
- Tom Mix Died For Your Sins -
--------------------------

Add pictures here
βœ–

Yeah I've got that under control, they actually come in boxes ;-)
Add pictures here
βœ–

Yeah, mine is once every two or three years and I use the high tech, faux walnut cigarstoreatthemallador. (Damn it's been at least three years, I wonder if it is still at the mall).
Dave Hall
Add pictures here
βœ–

wonder
Thanks for all the helpful insights. Gus
Add pictures here
βœ–

Anytime! Glad I could help :)
Dave Hall
Add pictures here
βœ–
A friend and me bought a few cigars. He bought this little stick cigar. Heaven brand. Well he forgot to take it with him so I uhh...smoked it. Not bad. Verrrry mild. Comes in flavors. I used to have my A list of cigars but after like a 7 year hiatus I have long forgot them. So now when I get the urge I have to experiment which is not that fun when you get a clunker.
Rich

wonder
Add pictures here
βœ–