opening day

Page 2 of 2

had a pitcher suceed in pulling off a no hitter. While my team was the one that lost, seeing this actually pulled off was a joy.

Actually the fun part is to see the fear he would instill in the pitcher that really needed an out somewhere around the 6th or 7th inning.

Willy Mays was good. As someone that did see him haul in a few the long ball was not really the most impressive skill he possesed. I would really like the times he would have all the fielders playing deep, and pull off the perfect bunt, and then proceed to steal a couple of bases. That would usually demoralize the opposing team.

Double plays are great things to watch regardless of the league they occur.

Sure, but I can say from personal experience that the same experience happens in the minors. The kids in the minors get things together often.
Seeing someone get to first on a dropped third strike in the bottom of the 9th with two out and no one on is almost as good as the first time a girl let you get to home plate. Seeing something like this happen and going on to win is probably better.
--

Roger Shoaf

"Tom Watson" wrote:
> Except for those days when you are fortunate enough to see Ted > Williams bat.
Especially after Lou Boudreau implemented the "Ted Williams Shift".
Those were the days when Williams was also a spokesman for Sears & Roebuck sporting goods.
Lew
Roger Shoaf wrote:

(in part because of a fielding error I made) but we won -all- the others.
Wagars Market. Flat Rock recreation. 1963. 12-1, swept the playoffs. Last-picked runts, mis-fits and new kids.
One dusty afternoon I caught the catcher napping ... and stole home. The pitcher had thrown the pitch (I had run to about the 1/3 way point when he checked the runner on first) ... and I shoulda been caught. But the catcher never checked me ... because I was too slow to steal ... and threw the ball back to the pitcher. I don't think I was actually planning on stealing home until I saw him throw he ball back ... I was just trying to distract them to get the guy off first to second. When he threw the ball back to the pitcher, I went for the gold and the guy on first headed for second base. The batter stepped away from the plate, the catcher noticed me and tagged me out- fair and square ... except he didn't have the ball anymore. The pitcher was running in with the ball and a few choice words for the catcher. In the scuffle that followed, they both got benched. It was late in the season and everybody knew by then that you couldn't make errors playing our team. And the guy coming from first base made it to third.
I'll be 55 in a week or two. Strange those moments we can recall, eh?
Now, ask me the name of my first girlfriend. Or the birth dates of my sons. Or what I had for breakfast yesterday. ;-)
Bill
--
http://nmwoodworks.com/cube