Oops! Did I do that?

Page 2 of 3
Dex,
Hey look on the bright side! What doesn't kill you makes you stronger! I almost was electrocuted at the tender age of 7 and remember it vividly to this day, so I know you must have been "shocked and awed" by the fireworks.
I've got a great respect for 'lectricity and whenever I'm working on a circuit, I not only check the lines with a meter (AFTER of course, shutting off the breaker), I will touch the hot to ground as a functional test that there are indeed no nasty electrons flowing through that circuit. I'd rather have a breaker pop (assuming that somehow the wrong breaker was shut off, or that somehow the circuit became energized) or weld a wire than let it flow through me.
I usually cut my wires with hedge trimmers! :)
dave
DexAZ wrote:

How did the corn come out Dave?
--
Rumpty

ah, Rumpty, don't you have a remedial arm saw to run?
Your little joke while not entirely without some limited merit, is getting a little long in the tooth.
Try to follow Tom's example and come up with something original, or I'll have to find break in some new talent.
dave
Rumpty wrote:

Hell you out to see how many short ext cords I have due to the electric lawn mower I have constantly eating them <G>

DexAZ wrote:

Lesson: When shortening an extension cord, ALWAYS cut off the PLUG end. :-)
...lew...

Had a similar experience I need to share. About a week ago, I was framing up the north wall of the workshop and when I was hammering in the top plate I missed the nail and almost hit my thumb! As I was using a 28oz Estwing at the time, you can imagine the shivers I got as I saw a dent in the 2X4 and realized how much damage I could have done!! Yessiree, being careful is the name of this tune!!!
How could that have happened you ask? Well the theories are many, but I really believe I probably swung wide of the nail. It could have been a momentary attention lapse on my part, or it could have been a shift in the wind direction, causing just enough refraction in my swing that the hammer head missed the nail. Did I mention it was an Estwing? Got it at Lowe's several years ago for about $29. Been a great hammer. Had to give up that Stanley I was using, it just couldn't take the abuse, and besides it vibrated. I called Stanley about it, but they said it was "supposed" to vibrate. Yeah right! I didn't believe them for a minute, but no matter how many times I called customer service they inSISted hammers vibrate. Well, that did it. I went out and bought an Estwing. I knew that since they were lots of money they had to be good, and boy I've never looked back. Sure, it vibrates, too, but it's a MAZing how much better 29 dollar vibrations feel than cheapie Stanley vibrations do. So, good vibration's the name of this tune.
Anyway when I missed the nail I put a really big dent in the top plate. I hope I didn't impringe the integrity of the top 2X4, does anybody here know if I have to replace the top 2X4? Will I have to replace them all??? I hope not. I may have to call Canfor and complain about how easy their 2X4's dent. I don't think I should have to put up with inferior wood. I think maybe it wasn't the wood's fault though. It was probably the hammer. I need a better one. Do they make them more than $29? Do they make 2X4s that don't dent? Maybe oak or ash or do they make nails with bigger heads so they still get hit when the wind blows (?) with a more money hammer? Really want to know. Only want the best. Does anyone here have any REAL exprerience with this and not just your unbromided opinions?
So, after I calmed down from that near fatal hammerheadmissthenailthing, I hammered another nail close to where the first one was because the first nail jumped OUT of the hole it was started in. It fell IN the dirt! I had to use another nail! It was okay though because I had another one. WHEW, that(!) was lucky. I'm wondering though, can anyone here tell me if I should make sure to plug that first hole? I'm sure you can understand how important it is that the sturtctural integity not be imfamized in the construction here. Strentgth is the name of this tune. So, if ANYbody knows, let me know. Oh, I almost forgot. I nailed the second one in about 3/8ths of an inch away from where the first one ((would have) gone if it had gone(!)) but it didn't. So does that make a difference? It probably doesn't but maybe does. Does ANYONE know? I want to make sure that it's strong and stuff. What kind of filler do you use? I could make a dowel the exact size of the nail shaft part thing with some vernereal calipers I got from Lee at Robin Valley, but I'm not sure there accurate enough. Okay. Cool. I just ordered the next size up! They have GREAT customer service. They were way more money but it's important because quality is the name of this time. I wonder why they don't sell Estwings. Maybe they do! Does anyone know? Should I glue the dowel into the hole? I'm pretty concerned about wood movement, wood being natural and stuff. I think I'll just glue the top part that goes in the top part and let the rest float. I read about float, does anyone know? Is regular glue OK? How about Gorilla glue? I'll need gloves for that though right? OK! Cool. I just ordered up a case of gloves. I know 144 gloves is a lot, but money's no object is the name of this tune and I MIGHT, (I say might, not definetly but might miss), a NAIL like I did last week. I'll need more gloves if I do, so I have them now. At least I will. Does anyone know the number for the tracking thing for FEdEX? I had them shipped overnight because prompt is the name of this time. I set my Estwing down and it's dark now and I can't find it. Does anyone know where it is?
"Michael Baglio @nc.rr.com>" <mbaglio<NOSPAM> wrote in message

LOL!
Good one.
-Jack
"Michael Baglio @nc.rr.com>" <mbaglio<NOSPAM> wrote in message

[Michael nails it]
ROTFLMFAO
Hey Luigi, I think you may have something to add to the anti-FAQ.
O'Deen
Patrick Olguin wrote...

Twice in one day, no less! (G)
Jim
On Fri, 14 Nov 2003 15:21:36 -0800, "Patrick Olguin"

As someone once said about the Crowbar FAQ, an instant classic! And to say I almost missed it, as I tend to avoid BAD threads. Luckily, Paddy, you're on my "watch list" (telling Agent to automatically download your posts). Michael has now made it too, joining the other members of the moron bench. (I don't know why he wasn't on it before, because his posts are always informative or funny, when not both.)
Michael: that honour (honor, Keith) and a couple or three loonies will buy you an espresso.
Luigi Replace "no" with "yk" twice in reply address for real email address
"Man is a tool-using animal. Weak in himself and of small stature, he stands on a basis of some half-square foot, has to straddle out his legs lest the very winds supplant him. Nevertheless, he can use tools, can devise tools: with these the granite mountain melts into light dust before him: seas are his smooth highway, winds and fire his unwearying steeds. Nowhere do you find him without tools. Without tools he is nothing: with tools he is all." Thomas Carlyle
On 14 Nov 2003, Patrick Olguin spake unto rec.woodworking:

I think Michael has created a uniquely rec.woodworking phenomenon here:
ScaryFunny.
I'm jealous.
On Mon, 17 Nov 2003 14:49:47 GMT, Scott Cramer

Now _I'm_ LMFAO. ScaryFunny. I like that. Michael
Masterful spoof, LMFAO. Oh, the toolmanity!
Greg
"Michael Baglio @nc.rr.com>" <mbaglio<NOSPAM> wrote in message .

<snip of wunnerful stuff>
LOL! Go, Michael.
So was that the smooth head or the dimpled head hammer? I don't recall you mentioning the color either...of the handle. What about the label; did you soak it in Goo Off so all the adhesive came off cleanly? Did you know that it will smell gross for a good 3 weeks after applying Goo Off at a rate equal or greater than 4 picoliters per square inch, unless completely removed with a double layer of Brawny paper towels applied to the area within 30 seconds of application and left thereupon until the rate of absorption slows to .2 MM per second. Be sure to discard the used Brawny towels in an approved metal container, labeled for hazardous waste.
I've heard that the judicious use of a nail gun will obviate the need to purchase a Swinghard hammer and prevent possible thumbnail destruction. You will STILL need a bottle of Goo Off for the nail gun...and lots of paper towels. You'll save on Band-Aids, though.
dave
Michael Baglio snip

On Fri, 14 Nov 2003 22:07:57 GMT, Michael Baglio

<snip genius level funny shit>
Michael, that was some genius level funny shit!
Michael Baglio

Mike, Thanks for letting us know about the Estwing. You sure seem to know about hammers so I want to ask a couple of questions. Do you have to use Estwing nails or will other brands work with it? Do they come in different sizes? The 16d nails I used seem to keep going right through the back of the sheets of plywood I was nailing. My wife really gets pissed off when I nail things together on the dining room table. Ed

Naaa - I'm still hacked off about the time I saw'd thru the aluminum fence on my miter gauge. A "cast the first stone" situation...

Head chief miscreant reporting for duty. For some gawdawful reason, the subject header caused a song by Britney Spears to jump into my head. And now I'm left with the image of Brain AWOL Dave bumping and grinding around the shop with a bad belly ring, slicing up his power cords.
Dave, If you aren't in the habit of completely replacing (or at least shortening - eliminating the damaged portion) power cords you've damaged, irrespective of the creative method used to damage said power cord, then you really are an idiot with a death wish.
I repeat - if you use a damaged power cord, you are inarguably stupid (or perhaps just unbelievably ignorant). No ifs ands or buts. Electrical tape is an unsulator, and not intended as protection against abrasion, pinching or other kinds of stress that the flexible outer cord is designed to protect against (sorry bh). Power cords have usage ratings, electrical tape does not. All sorts of contaminants can get under the tape and further damage the conductive insulation, resulting in fire or death... perhaps even death by fire. Not a pretty sight.
Wake up and smell the turpentine, Dave. You don't have, "a great respect for 'lectricity." Look, shit happens in a shop, and we cut things we don't intend to. If we're lucky, we survive with no damage to bodily parts and live to tell about it. If we're smart, we change the way we do things. If we're funny, we post about it on rec.norm and everyone has a good laugh.
Apparently, if we're Dave, we compound the accident by employing a dumbass hatchet-job repair to something we allegedly respect. Sorry if this post had too much slime in it, such that you were unable to find the pearl of wisdom, Dave. But someone reading it might assume it's ok to patch a damaged cord with electrical tape. It ain't.
As annoying as you appear, I doubt anyone on the NG would want to see you appear in this year's Darwin Awards, even as an honorable mention.
O'Deen
<fine prose, filled with wisdom snipped>>
LMAO!
Myx
Hey! You can't play if that's all you are going to contribute. and I use the term "contribute" LOOSELY!
dave