Oops! Did I do that?

Page 1 of 3
A few minutes ago I cut several boards on the BS. As soon as I was done, I looked down to see a power cord from the CMS draped in front of the BS and the lower wheel housing of the BS was open! The CMS cord was plugged into an overhead reel on the other side of the BS, causing the cord to come in contact with the BS blade. I found a nick in the cord's outer insulation; thank goodness it didn't penetrate to the conductors. (At least I didn't damage the cord to my newest toy.)
So how, you ask, did I not notice the housing door was open? The BS and CMS share a section of the shop, along with the DP, in one corner. When walking up to the BS I have to kind of side step to it due to the confined area during construction of my desk.
Miscreants, have a field day with my mistake. I'm sure y'all can think of an infinite number of insults.
To the rest of you folks: keep those BS doors closed! :)
dave
[...]

You did damege it and you should have it replaced. The only advantage that not going all the way to the conductors had is that the saw blade is not damaged, which it would have been by the sort circuit current (wich *should* have reached a few hundred amps)
electricians tape has already been applied! I've got a LOT worse nicks in extension cords that have been repaired years ago. :) I would guess that in that thick cord I nicked today, the depth of nick is LESS than a 1/16". More of a wake up call to be more aware of the BS lower door position! It could have been catastrophic, considering a shower of sparks had the blade hit the conductors; the dust collect running with the inlet less than a foot from the action; the separator and DC right behind the BS. I DO have 5 fire extinguishers on the premises...
"Anything can happen to anyone at anytime" is the name of this tune.
dave
Juergen Hannappel wrote:

This is a good opportunity to remind folks that fire extinguishers are a really important part of any wood shop! Make sure they're up to date, and located where you'll be able to get to them in the worst situation.
I mention this only because we had an opportunity to use one of ours recently (candle in the living room). Having the right "tools" for the job reduced the panic and made short work of a bad situation.
FYI our house is also one of only four buildings in our town that has built-in fire sprinklers. We also have a 24/7 monitoring service hooked into the sprinklers, if they go off the fire dept is called. We even have one of those nifty twist-on connectors for the fire trucks.
Hope for the best, but plan for the worst!
DJ,
Is that a single family, unattached home?
dave
DJ Delorie wrote: snip

Yes.
: > I DO have 5 fire extinguishers on the premises... : : This is a good opportunity to remind folks that fire extinguishers are : a really important part of any wood shop! Make sure they're up to : date, and located where you'll be able to get to them in the worst : situation. : : I mention this only because we had an opportunity to use one of ours : recently (candle in the living room). Having the right "tools" for : the job reduced the panic and made short work of a bad situation. : : FYI our house is also one of only four buildings in our town that has : built-in fire sprinklers. We also have a 24/7 monitoring service : hooked into the sprinklers, if they go off the fire dept is called. : We even have one of those nifty twist-on connectors for the fire : trucks. : : Hope for the best, but plan for the worst!
That's one major setup you have for a fire system in your house. What kind of discount did you get on your homeowners policy ?

I don't recall. There's a risk of water damage which offsets some of it, but there was a net discount.
Our house is on the edge of town, and 0.3 miles from the road. Nobody would notice if it caught fire, until it was too late.

Do you have a huge water line coming into your house? I don't see how a connection for the fire dept would be any good without a large water line to back it up.
I thought a little bit about sprinklers for my house when it was built, but I couldn't find anyone doing residential systems in the area.
Brian Elfert

It's the other way around; the connection is backup for our well, for running the sprinklers. The system is as follows:
* primary 1.5HP well pump; good for about 8 GPM long term, or about 1-2 sprinkler heads. There's 750 gallons of water stored in the well.
* secondary 40 GPM pump on a 300 gal storage tank. Good for another 8 heads, kicks in when system pressure drops too low.
* tertiary is the fire dept hookup. They can pressurize the system externally even in the event of power failure (or optionally, they can cut the power from outside as we have a cutoff switch at the meter).
The fire dept hookup is NOT to provide water for them to fight the fire with. They bring that with them. The hookup is purely for them to pressurize the sprinkler system. In fact, there's a valve that prevents water flow in the other direction.
In addition, there's a flow sensor that detects if any head blows, and calls the alarm company automatically.

Our plumber put it in, but yeah, not all plumbers are certified for it.

The fire department probably has tankers and brings the water with them. It takes a surprising small amount of water to put out a fire if sprayed properly.
I've seen more information about residential sprinklers in the past year than I have in the past 50. I think it will be very common in the future. Ed snipped-for-privacy@snet.net http://pages.cthome.net/edhome

there's lots of places that it is now a code requirement for new residential construction. scottsdale and carefree az are two. my town is considering it. i live sufficiently far from a hydrant that i had them install sprinklers in my home when i built it.
Ya know wha tI like for repairs like this is that self fusing silicone tape. Really neat, and at HD too!
John
Bay Area Dave wrote:

Well I'll be .........Yo don't have your own fire dept. Bout the only damn thing you don't have. Tell us again how much everything cost.. awwww come on. Tell us
On Fri, 14 Nov 2003 21:28:38 +0100, Juergen Hannappel
Do they not have circuit breakers or fuses 'cross the pond? <G>
Barry

Bad Monkey!
(and all along I thought Keeter was wrong for spanking the monkey in public
he wasn't so wrong, nor a little too strong
Brain Area Dead is a nudnik)
Now it's YOUR turn to fire your writers. First Keeter couldn't come up with anything noteworthy, and now you decide plagiarism is the best you can muster. Tom, Tom, Tom, I have greater expectations of you than this!
Please try again.
dave
Tom Watson wrote:

There once was a young man called BAD His life, on the whole, rather sad He found out the Wreck And he said, "What the heck!" "Here's a great place for me to be BAD!"
He had an unlimited budget He had almost limitless time He asked lots of frivolous questions He wasted some good people's time
If a troll is a duck Then he walked like a duck And he quacked like a duck But he's really a **** Something that rhymes
Oh, the Wreck this dude truly did haunt He would bray, he would cry, he would taunt He got folks in a lather With all of his blather This old rec-dot-norm dilletante
I for one have grown tired of BAD His presence here makes me feel sad And long for the old days And all of the "Just Say's" The witty repartees When even on bad days Reading the Wreck made me glad
Now THAT'S more like it! You brought a bit of a grin to this troll.
Could I mention a few inaccuracies, however, Tom? I don't have an unlimited budget; hence the picky tool purchases to maximize their usefulness and my enjoyment. I don't have limitless time, either. I've wasted no ones time, as to respond to me is at their sole discretion. Do I not speak the truth? Do I hold a gun to the miscreant's heads? I didn't even commission your poem; I merely offered you a forum in which to show you literary skills, of which I'm in awe.
You never did answer the question about counting Cramer as one of your bosom buddies. Do you feel a particular kinship with Cramer? Do you aspire to impress and entertain him? Is he your kind of guy?
Keep up the humor. Much nicer than Cramerisms.
dave
Tom Watson wrote:

Dave, welcome to the "I can't believe I was that stupid" club!
I'm a member too. (aren't we all?)
Years ago, I was setting up a display in the center of an electronics store. No power available except on the walls. Plugged a new heavy-duty extension cord into the nearest outlet on the wall. Routed the cord over, under, around and through other displays until it reached the new display. But the extension cord still way too long. No problem, allow a couple feet extra, shorten the cord and put a new end on. (hold on, you are getting ahead of me) Dug out my new, heavy-duty side-cutters to lop off the excess +15' and then install a new jack. FLASH!!! POW!!! BOOM!!! (the stereos, radios and TVs on one side of the store go dead) "Awe S#$T!!!" My nice, new, H/D side-cutters were now a H/D useless, sort-of strippers & I had an ugly burn on my hand.
LESSON LEARNED: _Always_ check to make sure some idiot has not left the cord plugged into the outlet BEFORE you go lopping of the other end!
I kept that useless side-cutters in my tool box for years before finally tossing them out. They reminded my how important it is to double check everything when working with electricity.
Glad you only ended up with a nicked cord, Dave.
DexAZ