Ooohhh....shiny. Is the Festool Domino right for me?

Page 3 of 3

If I owned a Multi-Router and felt the same way you feel about the Domino, I'd think about selling the Multi-Router now before the Domino became too popular, lowering what I could get for the M-R.
"Upscale" wrote in message

Nice try, but it's not for sale! :)
The M-R can do everything the Domino can, and very many things it can't. That said, I like to think I've been around long enough to recognize a good thing when I see it, and the Domino is a good thing for the small shop woodworker.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 6/1/07

Hey, I had to try. <g>

I agree, it does appear to be a very competent tool for the little shop. And, considering the amount of setup and usage time that it could save, the cost consideration is not all that relevant.
Bas wrote:

I suspect beginners wouldn't normally spring for a grand when they've got the basics to purchase first - decent table saw, preferably a cabinet saw - with a good fence - joiner with infeed and outfeed tables long enough to deal with 4' long boards - and wide enough to deal with AT LEAST 8" wide boards - planer that'll handle 12" wide boards and maybe - a bandsaw - a miter saw or compound miter saw or sliding compound miter saw - with infeed and outfeed tables - and flip stops - a router table with a good fence system (see JoinTech/Incra) and an assortment of router bits - a drill press and drill bits - a decent plunge router for free handing/template following then there's the hand tools - block plane - smoother (#4) - jack plane (#5) - joiner (#6, 7 and/or 8) - maybe a shoulder plane - perhaps a router plane - a decent set of chisels (the blue handled Marples maybe?) - a dovetail saw - a tenon saw - card and cabinet scrapers And then there's the various sanders : : :
Any type of woodworking is a slippery slope - a hole in the gar - make that "shop" - into which money flows and scraps and piles of sawdust float out - with an occassionaly piece of furniture actually leaving. On the other hand, the non-monatarized value - can be priceless.
Swingman's answer gets to the interesting question I asked earlier "Can a tool change What you make AND How you make it?" and the subsequent question "Can joinery change What you make and How you make it?"
Adding mortise and tenon - or loose tenon mortise and tenon - joinery to your woodworking capabilities will certainly change your Project List. And if you have the disposable income to purchase the Leigh FMT, the DOMINO or the MultiRouter you're more apt to get to M&T sooner and use them more often than you would otherwise.
But - if you skip over doing some M&T joints using more traditional hand tool methods - you'll miss a wonderful, though occassionally frustrating, experience in your woodworking journey. The use of handtools gives you a better understanding of the woods you use, providing feed back which you seldom get from power tools. And the satisfaction obtained can make the "making" part of the journey as valued - by you - as the finished piece. And often, a hand tool will do the job faster and easier than breaking out a power tool, setting it up, making test cuts etc..
And Swingman wrote"

If you owned a MutiRouter I'd bet you wouldn't part with it no matter what new tool came along. The Leigh FMT and the DOMINO do mortise and tenons and loose tenon mortises. The MultiRouter does all that AND a lot more. Probably should add the WoodRat to the list as well.
But he does get points for trying to pick up a used MultiRouter at a discounted price. Nice try ; ).
charlie b
ps
there's a Festools Owners Group you might want to look into
http://festoolownersgroup.com
"charlieb" wrote in message

FWIW, you will note that I have purposely limited my remarks/comments about the Domino to those who have a specific need for increasing *productivity* in a small shop environment, and with a very specific type of joinery ... one you rarely see practised by hand (floating/loose tenon).

Not me ... actually, I think that was Upscale? But my reply to him was almost verbatim what you said. :)
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 6/1/07
"henry" wrote in message

You got a source for that? The M-R has not budged in price for years and a check with the only retail outlet authorized to publish a price for the M-R shows your statement to be suspect.
http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category20
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 6/1/07

I can see MR owners adding a Domino to the quiver, not replacing one with the other.
"B A R R Y" wrote in message

You're right ... but strange things happen, and it would likely be someone who used the M-R strictly for mortising. Even then I think it would be hard to give up the variable/increased mortise depth and size.
I'm a BIG fan of the Domino, but, like it's first cousin the biscuit jointer, it's plainly a one-trick-pony ... although one hell of a useful trick.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 6/1/07

Absolutely. Fortunately for the Domino that useful trick is very useful in that it enables one to quickly and easily use the type joint that he should be using in the first place rather than a joint reinforced by a biscuit or pocket hole screw. That said, biscuits and pocket holes do have their place, but they are also probably too convenient and are often used where a M&T should be used.

I've played with the Domino in the woodworking store. I liked it. Have not bought it yet because I have other uses for $1000 in the next couple months and won't have any time for woodworking. I see value in the Domino for the beginner, amateur woodworker because it will allow him/her to complete a project quicker, easier. You will be more productive. Yes the journey, process is important. But actually making something is darn nice too. The Domino allows you to make nice, good, quality mortise and tenon joints on normal sized pieces of furniture in a minimum of time. Little to no setup or layout time required. Just make a good mortise and tenon joint on your furniture and move on to completing, finishing the project. Making something is darn nice.

I do not use my DeWalt biscuit jointer much. I think of its biscuits as a cheap joint not suitable for real woodworking. Unlike the Domino loose tenon and mortise joints which I consider very acceptable joints for good furniture. Biscuit jionter is mainly, only used for edge jointing boards. And then the biscuits are just for alignment purposes, not adding any strength. Despite Norm using the biscuit jionter on every project it seems, I hardly use mine.

Drill press is a completely different tool. Useful for much more than drilling mortises. You probably need a drill press with or without a Domino or biscuit jointer. I use a U shaped jig and plunge router to make mortises. And table saw and dado blade for tenons. Lots of setup and time for a joint you never see. Domino would do the same, similar joint so much faster. And if I needed really big tenons and mortises, I could still do it with the plunge router and table saw for that once a year or decade project. Domino would likely be used 99% of the time on normal sized furniture. If I had to do it again, I would not buy a biscuit jointer.

Can't answer this one, I don't own a Domino. Given the price, I probably won't own one for a long time.

Not likely. Given the price of the Domino, I could buy a new drill press, biscuit joiner and hollow chisel mortising machine and still not come close to spending what it would take to buy a Domino. I don't currently own a biscuit joiner, but have been contemplating getting one. When I need to do glue ups that benefit from having something to align the pieces, I use dowels. A doweling jig is relatively inexpensive as are the dowels.

It's your money and if you've got enough of it--go for it. :)

remove ".invalid".

Buy the damned thing already. We all know you're going to anyway.
"Robatoy" wrote in message

We missed you, buddy ... we were getting worried and glad to see you back! :)
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 6/1/07

Yeah, they sing with that funny accent. Unlike us'ns down her in Texas. ;~)