Ooohhh....shiny. Is the Festool Domino right for me?

Page 2 of 3
"John E." wrote in message ...

And for good reason ... your diatribe was "pointless" and uninformative, except that it showed your ass.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 6/1/07

"John E." wrote in message

LOL! Further confirming what we knew all along ... the most correct "analogy" as being my ass, and _your_ "intelligence level".
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 6/1/07
: "John E." wrote in message :> The only person "showing his ass" round here is you, but thanks for :> confirming your intelligence level for all and sundry.
: LOL! Further confirming what we knew all along ... the most correct : "analogy" as being my ass, and _your_ "intelligence level".
And once again, ladies and gentlemen, "Swingman" shows us all the meaning of pure class.
Bleccchhhh.
    -- Andy Barss

LOL ... STILL speaking with that public tit in your mouth, eh Andrew? Shame on you for wasting the tax payer's money on such drivel.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 6/1/07
Swingman wrote:

Enough already. Plonk.
--
I'm not not at the above address.
http://nmwoodworks.com

Bill, you might want to unplonk. Sometimes we get caught up in a pissing contest, even the best of us.
Leon wrote:

Done.
--
I'm not not at the above address.
http://nmwoodworks.com
:> Enough already. Plonk. :>
: Bill, you might want to unplonk. Sometimes we get caught up in a pissing : contest, even the best of us.
Problem is, Karl is pretty incontinent, and seems to get a juvenile pleasure out of it.
    -- Andy

Ok, Kids... Go to your rooms for a time out... *eg*
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing

Whatever... What I was trying to say is that IMO, when a new tool comes out, especially if it's only distributed by a high end company, it's going to be expensive..
However, since success breeds ruinous competition, there will be other machines like it on the market as soon as the demand is there... very much like the early biscuit jointers and plunge routers..

Umm... I think that was MY point... I don't care if it costs them $9 or $999 to make, I'm a consumer, not an engineer.. I also don't care how much it costs to make a plasma TV... but I'm glad I didn't buy on of the first couple.. *g*

mac
Please remove splinters before emailing
I understand what you're saying. I just don't think the price of the actual Domino will be dropping any time soon.
The tools to make plasma screens aren't any cheaper now, it's just become less expensive to buy one now that there are more manufacturers in the game and the market size has increased.
Put it this way, if a handsaw drops in price, do the prices of the things made with a handsaw also drop in price?
I have no doubt that Harbor Freight is already hard at work copying the technology behind the Domino. That doesn't mean that Festool is gonna drop the price on a real Domino.
John E.
wrote:

for
help
small
the

Having been watching the plasma screen for many many years now. I suspect that the real reason that they are finally coming down in price is because the LCD screens which have no glare and are preferred in most cases over the plasma have been dropping to reasonable prices. I have noticed that when the LCD's reached the plasma prices that the plasma screens started dropping in price at the same pace as the LCD's. I strongly suspect that the plasma screen TV's will be obsolete sooner than later much like the old CRT computer screens have become obsolete.
"Leon" wrote in message \

LOL ... Johneboy's still running irrelevant rabbit trails.
As you well know as a Domino owner, the _cost_ of the Domino is irrelevant to the woodworker who actually needs the tool to boost productivity because, like most investments that increase productivity, it will either pay for itself, or you didn't need it in the first place ... and with the Domino, most likely sooner rather than later.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 6/1/07

Well, probably not. I strongly suspect that there is a pantent on the Domino. The Fein Multimaster has not had any real competition until relatively reccently when their patent expired. I have never seen any Festool prices drop and because they have a strict priving policy you probably will not see a drop in price. And like the Lamelllo plate joiner the Domino will probably remain at higher prices even after the patent runs out, if there is one.

I am with you 100% on that. Fein has even patented their blades design and construction, and every time someone decides to start making knockoffs they are served. A machine shop guy I met on the 'net that was selling them for about half the Fein models told me that. He only made two models, a piece of bent sheet tool steel snap welded onto a nub to fit the tool, one wide and one narrow toothed blade, but that was close enough for Fein.
And who knows how much money went into designing a reliable sturdy tool like the Domino, as well as designing the tooling for manufacture? Literally millions, I have no doubt. So I suspect not only vigorous defense of their designs and patents, but for any aspect of that tool that would be considered their property.
I am willing to bet it NEVER goes down in price.
As you said, the Fein Multimaster is an excellent example of a comparable situation.
Robert
On Sat, 14 Jul 2007 16:19:14 GMT, "Leon"

assume you meant " strict pricing policy"
The Domino is around the equivalent of USD 1050 in the UK, a quick google shows those lucky, lucky bastards in the US are paying around USD 700.
So it's not that strict a pricing policy :)
Festool dealers offer next to bugger all discount on list price in the UK, about the equivalent of USD 60.
Nicely put.
However, now I'll probably feel crappy when I finally get up the cash to get my long dreamed over Multi-router (in a Homer Simpson voice "ohhhh ... shiney") and I'll always wonder if I should have bought 2 Dominos. However, the domino won't do box joints, dovetails (including sliding), round and rectangular tennons.
My only real question about how much I'll love my Mulit-router is if I can pull off making through tennons by squaring the tennons by hand and undercutting the mortises and squaring them by hand too.

charlieb wrote:

This is absolutely terrific information - thanks! I've been wanting to get into M&T joinery, but found it a little intimidating. The Domino makes it look so simple in comparison. My biggest concern was getting the right mileage out of the tool. Sounds like the Domino is good for both beginners and pros.
Bas.
"Bas" wrote in message

Go for it ...
The need for more complicated joinery is something most woodworkers face if they stick with it long enough, and they generally come face to face with Mt Everest when the need for accurate and repeatable compound angle joinery rears its head in projects like chair making.
"Loose or Floating" tenon joinery is a big step toward solving the problem, as it is comparable in strength with traditional M&T joinery and in many case stronger, particularly with compounnd angle joints where the tenon may have to be cut in an unfavorable grain or direction that actually weakens the traditional joint.
In short, the necessity to quickly and effectively do repeatable compound angle M&T joinery is a must have for production runs in a small shop. Both the M-R and Domino, as well as other solutions like the Leigh FMT, facilitate loose tenon joinery.
Both excel at compound angle mortising, with the Domino making the accuracy and repeatability factor _much_ more affordable for the home shop.
Besides doing a lot of cabinetry, I always have a furniture project of some type going in the shop ... if I didn't already own a Multi-Router, I would invest in a Domino in a heartbeat.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 6/1/07