Ongoing Shop Stuff: Mission Hall Table

>> For those interested in downloading the actual SU file, it is available

>> your own non-commercial use.>

Finishing up the all odds and ends of a kitchen project takes up a lot of shop time, but this project does manage to get some sporadic work

All joinery glued up and complete ... top and shelf still need to be sanded, cut to proper dimensions, edge beveled and attached:

Swingman

nice and really clean lines. With your permission, I'll steal the image for a future project of my own.

Reply to
Upscale

> Very nice and really clean lines. With your permission, I'll steal the image

Absolutely. Be my guest ... to the Sketchup file and all the images you may need to build your own.

Reply to
Swingman

I meant to ask since I haven't followed all your comments on this construction. Do you hand cut your mortices with a drill and then clean it up with a chisel on a project like this or do you use some kind of mortise machine?

Don't know if I mentioned it, but my fear of attempting real mortise and tenon construction led me to construct my garden table feet each with two pieces of 2x10 cedar. On each I cut a half lap with the tablesaw dado blade and then glued the two pieces together to form through mortises. Then I cut tenons on each end of the table legs and glued them in.

This 'shortcut' process along with the additional cost that 4x10 cedar planks would have cost me, were my mitigating factors when deciding on contruction.

Reply to
Upscale

I cut square mortises for "traditional" M&T joints with a Delta, hollow chisel, mortiser; and mortises for loose tenons with a Multi-Router.

Both were used on this particular project.

Nothing wrong with that ...

Reply to
Swingman

Ready for a wax, and a wedding bow:

to have this "spare time" project completed _BEFORE_ the wedding next weekend!

And, it gave me a chance to try the new Earlex SprayStation 5000 for the first time. Damned glad I don't do finishing for a living, but the Earlex made spraying a few coats of shellac a piece o' cake, and it's soooo easy to cleanup!

Reply to
Swingman

> Nice to have this "spare time" project completed _BEFORE_ the wedding next > weekend!

Looks nice. Those graceful lines will enhance whatever room it is placed in.

A wedding?? Somebody is getting married?? Anybody we know??

Finding a nice little spray unit will definitely make life easier. Easy cleanup sounds like a nice bonus.

I trust you will not be in charge of the color selection or the tying of the bow!

Have fun at the wedding.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

----------------------------------- Can only hope the marriage lasts as long as the table.

As always, NICE.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Swingman wrote in news:pdedndLow6VSkODQnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

Very nice!

Reply to
Han

I've got people that take care of that ...

;)

Reply to
Swingman

Thanks Lew and Han!

... I've known the bride since she was a baby, and I only which the groom was marrying my youngest daughter instead!

Lucky folks ...

Reply to
Swingman

>> Nice to have this "spare time" project completed _BEFORE_ the wedding > next weekend! >

Easy cleanup, too!!!!!? Ahhhh.... stop temping me. Love the grain on the bottom board. Any chance of getting pic of the top?

Reply to
-MIKE-

NICE! I like clean lines. I'm sortakinda stuck in BauhausMetropolitanMission mode these days with a hint of Greene & Greene tossed in for good measure.

Soooo you decided on an ESS5K, eh? I have walked around and fondled that thing a dozen times but never made the move. What has held me back is how much noisier it is than other turbine systems I have played with. I'm not even sure that means much, but to me, noise =3D wear. The price is awesome for the quality so I might have to wear earmuffs. I'm an Iwata HVLP pot-fed (DeVilbiss pot) guy because I like the 'no- cup-dangling off my arm-being-able to spray-upside-down' aspect of pot- fed systems. But clean-up is such a bitch that I rather drive half hour to use my buddy's spraybooth. I am thinking that ESS5K will fit the bill for smaller jobs without all the damned @#$%^&* cleanup. Has the inability to adjust the width of the fan (on the fly) hindered you much? When I spray, I am always adjusting fluid and fan as the target I'm spraying changes... IOW, when spraying the edge of a shelf/ door does that fan stay wide open?

Reply to
Robatoy

Say what?

(I didn't find it that loud ... but artillery fire, and standing next to drummers will do that to you)

I have previously used an el cheapo $100 CH unit that's been just about worn out in the past ten years, so I'm used to trying to compensate, with technique (poor) and positioning, for the lack of adjustments found in the higher priced, pro units.

The Earlex 5000 is between these cheap (but usable) units, and the low end of the pro HVLP setups. The obvious difference between the Earlex

5000 and the $100 units (CH, HF, etc.) is much higher quality parts, and more metal less plastic in the former. But, AFAICT, they all share the same minimal fan and material flow adjustments, or lack thereof.

That said, I was surprised by the increase in quality of spray coverage and just how adjustable the results were with the Earlex adjustments ... this is one damn fine unit for those who don't need expensive pro gear for their own personal projects, but who can still get excellent results with a mid priced unit and a little experience and practice.

Hell, Tony Rice makes a Sears SilverTone sound like Clarence White's old D-28.

Reply to
Swingman

weekend!

Really nice work. I love Arts & Crafts style and that is a great hall table. Wish I were you friends! LOL!! `Casper

Reply to
Casper

Just for you ... two in a row:

Swingman