One-Two Punch for Southern Hospitality

Item 1: The city is cementing the coulee (stream) next to my shop. My Wild American Plum tree was within the work right-of-way, so it was felled (along with 7 oak trees), yesterday. I called Ralph, a friend and member of Acadiana Turners Guild, for the free plum wood. He was more than happy to come get the trunk and root ball. Though I have a lathe, I am not a proficient turner, at all. Ralph can do justice to the wood.
Item 2: I unloaded some lily bulbs on him, also.... He said, not only is his wife is a avid flower gardener and would appreciate having them, but he'd be adding to his points total, as well. ^5 Ralph!
Token: I cut a 12" long, 12" diameter section of oak log, for a shop chopping block. My old block has seen better days.
And the "not so hospitable" side of things: There were a number of squirrel nests in the oaks. Squirrels aren't a pest, for me. This morning, the workers weren't here, so there was a respite from the construction noise. I think the parent squirrels were out looking for their young ones. They seemed confused by the pile of logs/limbs, heaped on one another. I sensed they were able to distinguish familiar smells among the ruins, as they paused on the logs/limbs, now and then, and sniffed around.
That's a lot of shade to have disappeared so quickly, too, especially for here in south Louisiana.
Sonny
On Fri, 18 Mar 2011 12:50:06 -0700, Sonny wrote:

Kudos for the wood, sorry you don't live where you're in control of your environment.
basilisk

On 3/18/2011 11:32 PM, basilisk wrote:

Damned crowded rat, urban, attributes move in with the transplants, as they conveniently forget why they uprooted in the first place ... the regional differences in my beloved home state are now all but non-existent.
www.e-woodshop.net Last update: 4/15/2010 KarlC@ (the obvious)