One-Touch Spackle: What IS this stuff?

Howdy remaining wreckers,
    I've spent the last few weekends trying to finish up the trim in the remodeled bathroom. In addition to the usual stuff-- baseboard, door and window casings, bed molding at the ceiling-- there is T&G beaded wainscoting, and a three-piece compound molding above the wainscoting. Lots of nail holes to fill! Everything is being painted, so I used One- Touch Spackle to fill the holes.
    If you are unfamiliar with this product, it is strange stuff. It comes in a plastic container about the size of a yogurt package. The 8oz. (volume) container weighs almost the same empty as full, without exaggeration. It has no noticeable smell, and no 'body' whatsoever, it's that lightweight. The spackle itself is white, with a very dry, almost crumbly consistency in the container, but applied with a putty knife, it goes on cleanly and smoothly with two quick passes. Freshly applied, it is soft, almost like foam, but an hour later it is hard as rock. It expands slightly as it hardens, and needs to be knocked back with a quick swipe of the sandpaper before painting, leaving a perfect surface, where the nail holes cannot be found after painting. An almost empty container remains soft and usable, without drying and hardening. It gives much better results, for the effort, than other wood fillers that I've used.
    What on earth is this stuff?
Scott
P.S. As for the trolls - I use Xnews, and have no idea what the squawking is all about. A couple of keystrokes to killfile the obvious offenders, combined with a block on crossposting, and it just doesn't show up. Take the time to install the FREE Xnews program, learn how to use it, and you'll kick yourself for putting up with the crap for so long. No affiliation, etc. etc.
I don't know what it is but it sounds like something I could really use right about now. Where did you locate it? I just did a search on the borgs and they seem to have a different brand than On=Touch.
On Tue, 21 Oct 2003 16:50:35 GMT, Scott Cramer

On 21 Oct 2003, Tuffie spake unto rec.woodworking:

    I picked it up at the local lumberyard/hardware place. I'll look up the manufacturer when I'm home tonight -- I can't find anything on the web.
Scott

I guess I had the name wrong - it's OneTime Spackle
http://doityourself.com/store/7981475.htm
This looks to be the same stuff, at any rate.
Scott

while (long enough for lots of brands). Good stuff.
--
Alex
On Tue, 21 Oct 2003 16:50:35 GMT, Scott Cramer

Scott: It's mostly chalk, glycol and water.
http://www.reddevil.com/pdfs/0540doc.pdf
DAP has a similar product.
http://www.dap.com/msds/10410.pdf
My experience with the DAP tells me that the claims about the non-shrinking properties are overrated.
On 21 Oct 2003, Tom Watson spake unto rec.woodworking:

    Thanks, Tom.

    SWMBO has been using the Red Devil stuff for years, mostly on outside repairs (split facing boards and such) and swears by it. I didn't have any particularly large gaps to fill in the bathroom, but I'll keep a close eye on it.