One step forward, two back

Don't you just hate re-dos? I'm milling up some lumber and get to the point of assembly and find that I hadn't been paying attention to the thickness of the pieces. Too thin! I keep joining them to take out some cupping and just thought it look ok.

My fault, my time, and I'm glad I'm not working for anyone but me. I have ordered myself back into the shop and remake these pieces on my own time and this time - CHECK the measurements along the way!

ARG!

MJ

Did that with some cabinet fronts. I intended to use the slightly thinner pieces all on one front but got the pieces mixed up and....well you can guess the rest. Had to re-do that one. Bah!!

Max

Reply to
Max

Sounds like you could use a planer.

Reply to
Swingman

A couple of things you are doing wrong.

  1. Continuing to mill lumber that is too thin will not make it the correct thickness or thicker.

  1. Trying to achieve proper consistent thickness using a jointer is like using hammer to shorten a board.

Reply to
Leon

That all depends on which end of the board you're trying to shorten.

Reply to
Robatoy

MJ wrote: : Don't you just hate re-dos? I'm milling up some lumber : and get to the point of assembly and find that I : hadn't been paying attention to the thickness of the pieces. : Too thin! I keep joining them to take out some cupping and : just thought it look ok.

Borrow a planer, and use that for thicknessing. As for the ones that are too short: run them through the planer backwards.

}:-} Andy Barss

Reply to
Andrew Barss

Another variation on the old "I cut that board twice and it was still too short" complaint.

Reply to
Larry W