One piece cutting board quandry

Page 2 of 2
On Wed, 07 Feb 2007 20:02:57 -0500, "J."

Plant a maple tree under the kitchen. Keep it well watered and well lit. When it's 30 inches in diameter saw it off.

<...snipped...>
One word: PLASTIC
--
Contentment makes poor men rich. Discontent makes rich men poor.
--Benjamin Franklin
On Thu, 8 Feb 2007 02:27:53 +0000 (UTC), snipped-for-privacy@sdf.lNoOnSePsAtMar.org (Larry) wrote:

Yeah, it occurred to me that he might want to get some solid surface, epoxy some maple veneer on all sides, and then encapsulate that under a layer of Kevlar and more epoxy. Let's see her bust _that_ sucker.

[snip]
Actuallly my first check was with Google, which provided several sources. It's also easy first-hand -- go to any big city and find a good Oriental grocery or market. They should have cutting boards or chopping blocks made from the cross-section of a tree. These have been used for Chinese food preparation for ages. I found one on the internet at http://www.wokshop.com/HTML/products/cleavers/cleavers_knives_choppingbl.html ; the same item seems to be pictured at http://shopping.msn.com/results/shp/?bCatIdQ74,minPrice=0,maxPrice 9.99,av499-4574894,page=2. These appear to be made from a single piece of wood, and you're cutting into the end-grain. You'll also find a lot of butcher-block style round chopping blocks made of multiple pieces.
If you go into an authentic Chinese restaurant you'll see the cook cutting up the bbq pork and ribs on this style chopping block. Regards --
use treated lumber and don't go over for sunday brunch anytime soon.

It's easy. The trick, Ray, is in the finish.
Ask her what kind of wood she wants. You should be able to get it in one piece, if you get it as rotary cut veneer.
Now, the finish. Get some of that stuff they use on old tables in bars or restaurants. You know, the stuff that they usually put on 1/4" thick or so. Pour some on one side and let it cure, then do the same on the other side. Kep flipping and finishing until you get that veneer up to the 2", 4" or 6" that she wants.
Pretty simple, really.
John Martin

Maybe you should tell her that the failure was because of improper care of the surface. Solid one piece will fail more quickly in this environment.

Run fast, run far..... DO NOT LOOK BACK... :-O
I just can't shake the image of a man being led to the firing squad on this one... :-) He's marched out of the shop.. failed cutting board discarded on the side, cigarette hanging from his lip, and the blindfold loosely tied about his neck...
Ok, I'm really curious what your MIL is planning on doing with this sizable piece of chopping space? Considering that most counter tops don't run 30" deep... Where's she gonna put the beastie?
That's a boat load of empty space to chip, chop, slice, and dice on...

She usually puts the one she has now on the table to: chip, chop, slice, dice, cleave, roll, etc things like whole chickens, pizza dough or a 1/4 of deer. She is at or above 70 years old so the cleaver isn't that much of a concern.
Based on the advice so far the plan I have come up with is get some Maple, 5/4 or thicker, edge glue it with epoxy (either T & G or a spline) making it a little longer than needed. Then trim a little off of each end to reattach for the cleats with dowels. I shouldn't have to worry about splitting since the grain would run the same direction and it would be the same boards

Just asking!!
Any bets that a monster that size and thickness will warp or twist over time? Even with cleats? I don't think there are many maple trees big enough to get a quarter sawn plank that size are being harvested these days. Least wise not that we hobby woodworkers would be able to find.
I could be wrong.
Phil